Diesel freezing - fuel problems in winter?

Broon_100

I've got a 62 plate Hyundai iX35 1.7 diesel. Last year it died on me on a cold day and the garage said the fuel had frozen and blocked my fuel filter (it was only -3). The filter needed replaced. Same thing happened at the weekend when the temps dropped. The RAC and Hyundai both said it's due to the amount of bio-fuels in the diesel mix these days and it affects thousands of cars. The RAC guy had replaced 5 fuel filters by 10 am this morning.

Has anyone had the same problem? I'm fed up with not being able to drive my car in the cold and it seems a stretch to suggest it's the fuel that's causing the problems.

Here's what the RAC were saying about it: http://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre/press-releases/diesel-biofuel-content-suspected-cause-of-unexpect

Had it a couple of years ago in 2010 when the weather was really cold -15c or so. Put the car into my folks garage and a lot of heaters around it, it started a hour or so later. Seems that doesn't work any more.

I wonder if some makes of car find this problem more prevalent?

I've got a 62 plate Hyundai iX35 1.7 diesel. Last year it died on me on a cold day and the garage said the fuel had frozen and blocked my fuel filter (it was only -3). The filter needed replaced. Same thing happened at the weekend when the temps dropped. The RAC and Hyundai both said it's due to the amount of bio-fuels in the diesel mix these days and it affects thousands of cars. The RAC guy had replaced 5 fuel filters by 10 am this morning.

Has anyone had the same problem? I'm fed up with not being able to drive my car in the cold and it seems a stretch to suggest it's the fuel that's causing the problems.

Here's what the RAC were saying about it: http://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre/press-releases/diesel-biofuel-content-suspected-cause-of-unexpect

I know someone who encountered the same problem a couple of months back and was given the same reason. Driving in high revs apparently unblocks the filter and solves the problem.

Had it a couple of years ago in 2010 when the weather was really cold -15c or so. Put the car into my folks garage and a lot of heaters around it, it started a hour or so later. Seems that doesn't work any more.

I wonder if some makes of car find this problem more prevalent?

Certainly if you google iX35 there are hundreds of them with the same problem but the RAC guy said that's purely because the filter is very good (very fine) so more prone to clogging when the biofuels particles emulsify. He said it's just doing its job.

Certainly if you google iX35 there are hundreds of them with the same problem but the RAC guy said that's purely because the filter is very good (very fine) so more prone to clogging when the biofuels particles emulsify. He said it's just doing its job.

Would fitting a cheap aftermarket fuel filter maybe solve the problem with it likely that the element not being made to the same high quality or as fine as the dealers.

I bought a new i30 a few months back. Hopefully it fares a bit better.

What colour is it?

Buy a decent car next time !

To be fair, other than it's inability to function in the cold weather and the worst steering I've ever experienced it's a decent car ;)

I don't have to drive it often though, thankfully.

To be fair, other than it's inability to function in the cold weather and the worst steering I've ever experienced it's a decent car ;)

I don't have to drive it often though, thankfully.

I think you'll find this is a crucial element before a car can be described as "decent"

Definitely some truth in it. The council have problems at this time of year with the VW crafters, the fuel starts to emulsify in the filter causing a loss of power, rarely gets as bad as causing the engine to cut out completely though.

I think you'll find this is a crucial element before a car can be described as "decent"

Nah, I don't see how steering impacts on the driving experience in the slightest. ;)

Saying that, some people may like being able to steer their car using their little finger. Each to their own.

Archived