Ayr United v Dunfermline Pathetic

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully we find ourselves alongside two equally poor sides. Like it or not, we're a poor draw for most players currently with or without a club.

McCall might not capture his 1st or 2nd choices but his 3rd or 4th choices are probably better than the dross he inherited from Roberts.

Unfortunately, we've only taken 5/15 points v these sides that are supposedly equal/worse than us, then the 3 above them we've taken 0/18* points available.

*Technically 21, but we've to replay that game v Peterhead.

We are awful. The back three were solid enough, hopefully get Murphy back for next week. We have nothing in the middle of the park, no one getting forward or making tackles. When did Donald last go by a player, he is awful right now. Deciding who our least effective striker is is a tough one!

The only positive to take from that game was actually the defence. It was as bad a game as i've seen with hardly any quality on show from either side.

Our midfield was non existent though and i don't think they put a tackle in until Robbie Crawford came on.McLaughlin,Gilmour,Donald and Shirkie were as effective as empty crisp packets blowing about the middle of the park.There was no urgency about the team at all.No pace and no creativity except from Forrest on a couple of occasions in the second half.

I think we had 3 shots in the entire game.

In the first half the 0-0 score was deserved as it was a total shitfest but Dunfermline did more in the second and looked more dangerous.

I don't see how we can pull ourselves out of the bottom 2 with that squad.Maybe Murphy coming back and JP moving into midfield will help a bit but considering the flak he's took i wouldn't put money on it.I did think JP did reasonably well today at the back though.

The ref had a shocker though.It made no difference to the score right enough but the incident with Dunfermlines physio was bizarre.As was the incident where one of our players got elbowed in a challenge and the free kick was given to Dunfermline. It was hard to see from our end but Dunfermline looked to have a good penalty shout later on in the game.

I will never understand why managers wait until the last 10 minutes before they throw the subs on. We desperately needed an injection of pace up front well before then, but waited till Dunfermline scored rather than taking the initiative. Nisbet should have been given the last half hour at least, and why Crawford never started is beyond me.

P#ss poor performance all round today and never looked like scoring. I hate to say it but Donald needs to up his game or face being dropped. No confidence to go by a man, constantly turning inside and then gives the ball away.

Some drastic measures needed by McCall to change our fortunes.

Much better from us. I thought we were the better side throughout, created the clearer chances and fully deserved to win. In the first half I thought it was a re-run of last week - would not taking them come back to haunt us? I always felt if we scored the opener we'd win and the relief when Geggan scored was palpable - the players, especially Buchanan, went absolutely tonto.

Ayr did have a wee spell before Scully's injury (which thankfully doesn't appear to be too serious) but we scored a well worked second goal, coolly finished by Hopkirk. I thought he took a wee bit of time to settle but as the game wore on he impressed me and took his goal well. Not a failure in the Pars team today and, although I did question pre-match the decision to bench Josh and drop Millen at right back in favour of Geggan, fair play to JP for changing things about. Geggan had his best game in a long while and I thought Spence was MoM - excellent in the middle of the park.

Was great to see the players go radio rental at the goals and at the end. For me, they've been getting a bit of a raw deal in some matches during our winless run but anyone questioning their commitment should've been there today.

But as pleased as I am, it's only a start and, frankly, Ayr are a poor outfit. There's no spark in their team but at least they should finish above the bottom two positions.

Onwards and upwards for us though. COYP.

Archived