film of the year 2014

maicoman

• 2 weeks later...

cant believe this has had over 500 viewings and no replies thought all you movie buffs would of had a good discussion going on about his top 10 cant comment on his list. As I very rarely go to the cinema when I saw "road" for the first time I didn't think it was a brilliant film. For the first hour I kept comparing it to "TT Closer To The Edge" the film that introduced the general public to the mad world of the ISLE OF MAN TT and even madder world of Guy Martin. I didn't like the way "road" was jumping between the different decades, then the dates came up on the screen and I knew we were about to enter the most astonishing race in the history of motorcycle racing. Along with 95% of the people who watched it, I knew how this race was going to end you are sitting there shaking your head in disbelief about what you have just witnessed and are waiting for the credits to come up on the screen, instead back it comes with the most powerful 2 minutes of cinema you will ever witness. Nobody seen it coming I was shell-shocked, it was only when I watched it again/and again! on DVD that I realised what a superb piece of film making that this is. Only thing missing was the mothers story. The mechanic tell us she went into the garage on the Friday morning to find out why her son had spent his night in the garage and was refusing to come into the house. He told her he was getting ready to race on the Saturday morning even though he wasn't fit enough. The mechanic went in after her and had a good talk with him and came back out and thought about it and said there would be no way he would be racing the following morning. Saturday morning comes and he gets the phone call to tell him to get to Port Rush asap as his rider is going race even although the organisers have just went and banned him for being no fit state to race. He is going to have to dupe the organisers to get the bike onto the starting grid he knows there will be a blood bath if they try to remove him as the spectators wont let it happen. As this is happening another banned rider is standing on the side-lines about to explode in anger and is just about to get involved. This is about to turn into a race where there is only going to be 2 outcomes, victory or death. This isn't a Hollywood film, although some people think it went from a documentary into one. This is the biggest sporting event in Northern Ireland THE INTERNATION NORTH WEST 200 to be run on the 8.9 mile triangle circuit through the streets of Portrush/Portstewart and inwards around the "magic" roundabout on the outskirts of Colraine. This is happening 5mile down the road from her house and is getting broadcast live on BBCNorthenIreland. Would of liked to know how much she knew of what was going on, what was running through her head. Was she watching it? or was she in the bathroom with her head down the toilet? can understand if she is still unable to talk about it. Was collecting this DVD from a biker who was there that day, even he was on the verge of breaking down trying to talk about it, and he was a hard man in his day. "Senna" was one of the top 3? films of 2011 and was very good but this is on another level and should have been one of the films of the year. Read this guys review of it also: http://jcbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/road-film-about-motorcycle-racing.html

Archived