Newcastle United U20s vs Hibernian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zzzzzzzzz. I already posted loads of posts today where I'd slated Celtic too. I also worked out today that I've seen Arbroath play at

Celtic

Hamilton Academical

St. Johnstone

Alloa Athletic

Cowdenbeath

Dumbarton

Hibernian

Raith Rovers

Rangers

Airdrieonians

Ayr United

Brechin City

Dunfermline Athletic

Forfar Athletic

Peterhead

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Stranraer

Albion Rovers

Arbroath

Berwick Rangers (located in England)

Clyde

East Fife

East Stirlingshire, also Firs Park twice

Elgin City

Montrose

Queen's Park

all they grounds more than once in most occasions. Not bad for 22.

If anyone genuinely thinks I'm a Celtic fan then they're a retard.

Why are Celtic top of your list m8?

;)

I obviously posted that comment after a slightly dodgy moment from him and when Hibs were under a bit of pressure, btw.

You really didn't play that poorly. Sevco simply played better than they have recently. That's all.

We'll agree to disagree. We have players that can piss all over their midfield but it was the wrong pass or poor execution practically every time we broke with space ahead of us. It was a very poor performace from us, imo. Decent bit of play from Cummings for the first and an excellent goal with one of our only bits of attacking in the second half though.

That's the difference, there's more class in any of our midfield players wee toes than that Sevco team, which is why we can play shite and still win.

How was your South Govan experience m8?

Was right next to the segregation barrier. Was good winding them up. The scenes after our first goal were amazing.

Walked up Paisley Road West after the game and got the subway back to Queens Street.

First time I've seen us win at Ibrox and a all round Top Day.

No Firhill? :(

I only think we have played you in the league in the 3 (?) seasons when you won the 2nd division (we came runners up and also got promoted) and the 1st. So 6 times at Firhill. I was only 7/8/9 around then and never got to many away games. You're one of the sides we haven't played very much. I used to go to Murano Halls every week so I've sort of been to it. ;)

As poor as I've seen Hibs play for a while, too many misplaced passes throughout. Rangers pressed well and didn't allow the midfield time on the ball. Probably as good as I've seen Rangers play but they seem to lack any kind of killer instinct up top. If only Hibs took their chances every game...

That was an odd game, it felt like watching the old heart-attack inducing Hibs.

Ironically, it was Hibs who looked the most disjointed and Rangers the more cohesive.

The biggest positive about such a clumsy Hibs performance is that we shown we can grind out (and snatch) a result.

Players

Oxley was more solid than his usual apple crumble-self, but is still incredibly slow at reacting. He almost gifted Rangers a goal before Fontaine cleared the shot off the line. His kicking was strong and his time-wasting skills had the Bluenoses' faces boiling red.

Watson went missing quite often and struggled at centre-back. He supported Gray relatively well, but Hanlon & Fontaine ended up covering for his position more often than not. We have missed the commanding and strong performances of Forster in this position.

Hanlon was reasonable. Although he made a couple of slip-ups, he generally recovered or had another Hibs player to take over. Like Watson, he struggled with the high balls and was often pulled out of position. If we had 2 at centre-back, I think Rangers would have scored several.

Fontaine had one of his poorer games overall, though he was often pulled away from his position to cover for Hanlon/Watson. He made another fantastic clearance off the line against a Rangers side. He also made a couple of mistakes but there was always a Hibs player back to help.

Gray still isn't up to speed yet, but he put in a good shift. He often lagged behind in defence, but found a second wind when he seen space down the wing. He could have done with better support in the final third.

Stevenson was consistently hard-working, as usual. He grabbed a rare goal with a great finish and has been just as vital as Gray in attack. Like Gray too, he struggled in defence, but brought the ball forward well in a role that has transformed his and the team's fortunes.

Robertson did well to get himself about the pitch, but the lack of support often ended in him being stretched too much. I don't think he fits into the team as well as McGeouch or Allan, but he is probably the best player to fill in the defensive midfield position and made the difference through determination and persistence.

Allan needs a kick up the backside when it comes to being dispossessed, he left players around him with extra work to do by coming to a standstill whenever he lost the ball. He didn't play well with the strikers and found himself playing a completely different game to the rest of the team. He stood out as the most disjointed; he got frustrated very easily and his performance suffered again because of this.

McGeouch did quite well helping Robertson break up a Rangers side trying to overload our midfield. He can be a handful, but this is best used when he has the ball. He gave the ball away just as much as everyone else but always pushed to win the ball back, which made a difference.

Malonga controlled the ball well but struggled to find something to do with it. He didn't have great support but he also got himself into poor positions and may as well have been in a different stadium to Cummings. The two of them were either a mile from each other or got into each other's way on the counter.

Cummings had one of his frustrating games, where he tries to take shots that aren't on and made a few mistakes. He should have scored, but Robertson was at hand to tap in the rebound. Like the rest of our attack, he was on a completely different wavelength and got frustrated because of this. Cummings and Allan need to stop dropping their heads and flailing their arms when things aren't going their way.

Fyvie has already proved to be a useful acquisition. I don't rate him highly, but he provided the performance that Allan stopped providing. He forged a momentary understanding with the players around him, which Allan struggled to accomplish throughout and assisted a well-worked goal. I thought he was going to be out for another year when he went down just after coming on!

Boyle provided an injection of pace that was missing from a lackadaisical Cummings. He caused a bit of trouble whenever the ball got near him. He might be a useful impact player if we need to mix things up in the final third.

DjéDjé didn't have much time to do anything but will hopefully be fit enough in the future to take over from Cummings/Malonga if they are misfiring and playing poorly.

Stubbs made the correct decisions before the game and throughout. He made the bold decision to go back to the back 5 for the first time since Forster's injury and it paid off. We struggled to keep the formation together, but I think we would've lost without the extra centre-back as all 3 were making mistakes at one point or another. Fyvie on for a red-eyed Allan ended up in a sorely needed second goal and putting some pace on for Cummings was needed.

Overall, the team shown that they could pull through a game that we would've been torn to pieces last season. We took the few chances we got on the break and managed to somehow keep the ball out of our net. I hope the lack of communication/understanding going forward was an anomaly. We were misplacing passes and losing the ball like our shocker sides of the past few seasons, but kept composed rather than panic and avoided conceded this way. We shown a grittier side to our game and recovered from a lot of mistakes, the type of mistakes that would've opened the floodgates last season.

We were 2nd best tonight and now we're 2nd best in the league!

DealWithItHibsDieu_zpsc1e5e429.png[

I only think we have played you in the league in the 3 (?) seasons when you won the 2nd division (we came runners up and also got promoted) and the 1st. So 6 times at Firhill. I was only 7/8/9 around then and never got to many away games. You're one of the sides we haven't played very much. I used to go to Murano Halls every week so I've sort of been to it. ;)

I've only been at Gayfield a couple of times myself, tbf.

Was up a couple of summers ago for a pre season friendly. Good day out.

Was right next to the segregation barrier. Was good winding them up. The scenes after our first goal were amazing.

Walked up Paisley Road West after the game and got the subway back to Queens Street.

First time I've seen us win at Ibrox and a all round Top Day.

Good stuff. That's Hibs beaten Rangers three times in the league this season. Has that ever happened before?

Archived