stirling university - full of bad 'uns

Njord

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Equality doesn't mean treating everyone the same, it means levelling the playing field so that everyone has a fair crack of the whip.

A fair crack of the whip? A bit racist that?

http://londonist.com/2007/04/se_m.php

It seems that even Nelson Mandela agreed that blacking up is not offensive, dependant on context.

There is a lot of overly sensitive people in this world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6521349.stm

http://londonist.com/2007/04/se_m.php

It seems that even Nelson Mandela agreed that blacking up is not offensive, dependant on context.

There is a lot of overly sensitive people in this world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6521349.stm

Whoa, steady on son! We can't be having black people have a say on what is and isn't racist against black people. That's for white folk to hand-wring over.

Whoa, steady on son! We can't be having black people have a say on what is and isn't racist against black people. That's for white folk to hand-wring over.

I know, especially black people who sacrificed so much to fight for the equality of their race. What would he have known about the subject?

So you've just dismisses the whole historical context thing? Even though you've admitted that the point you made was not a legitimate comparison.

I think you might be trolling but hey ho.

1. Jimmy hats are not as racist as blacking up.

2. We don't have equality, that's the whole point.

3. Dressing up to mock cultures depends entirely on the historical context (see nazi uniforms as a good example).

With regards to the whole historical context thing, is there not a difference between the blacking up which the students did and genuine 'blackface' which seems to me to purposely have a comedy look to it with the purpose of mocking (having the exaggerated painted lips etc)?

So if I post a quote from a back person who finds it offensive, it would be ok for you a white person to tell him it isn't?

So if I post a quote from a back person who finds it offensive, it would be ok for you a white person to tell him it isn't?

How do you know if I'm white or not?

Regardless, whatever the tone of someone's skin it's certainly ok to question their views. Are you suggesting an approach where we do and don't ask questions based on skin colour?

That post smacks of segregation.

The colour of the person giving the opinion is irrelevant. It's the attitudes of the opinionated person which are relevant.

I think we can all agree that Mr Mandela is regarded as and proven to be one of the worlds greatest ever minds and activists in bringing two cultures who were totally separated and in conflict and turning them into a nation of one people.

I view Mr Mandela's opinion on the subject more highly than any on this thread, more highly than any of the academics dealing with the disciplinary actions in Stirling.

The debate is over, the world's foremost mind on the subject of racial harmony said, before he died, that it is okay to dress up as someone from another race.

With regards to the whole historical context thing, is there not a difference between the blacking up which the students did and genuine 'blackface' which seems to me to purposely have a comedy look to it with the purpose of mocking (having the exaggerated painted lips etc)?

Yeah there clearly is. I think the notion is that the link is there and there's a sensitivity that needs to be respected.

Forgive the pun, but this is not a black and white issue. Too many people on this thread (and in society in general) fail to see the complexities in life. They want a simple answer when quite often there isn't one.

Haha.

Banana - you are the very definition of the angry white man, 'we are a minority having our rights trampled!'.

So in addition to your racism against white and black people in this thread, your trivialising of the actual real issue of slavery historically and today by taking pot-shots at some Scottish students who've coloured their face to watch the African Nations, you're now onto the hilariouslysadly predictable and pervasive tactic of male-hate white-hate bigotry in retreat, throwing out the 'angry white man' card when challenged :lol:

Nightmare #3 well and truly under way.

Pandarilla, I do not know you so would you mind explaining to me your credentials as far as race relations are concerned? I would like to make a decision on this subject based upon whether your opinion is more qualified than the opinion of Mandela.

Nelson Mandela (or anyone else) isn't the spokesperson for the worldwide black community. Some people won't be offended, plenty will, it's still racist regardless and unacceptable.

Nelson Mandela knew what real oppression, prejudice and racism were, through experience. That is why he knew that dressing up in a non derogatory way is not racism, it's a bit of fun.

Yeah there clearly is. I think the notion is that the link is there and there's a sensitivity that needs to be respected.

Forgive the pun, but this is not a black and white issue. Too many people on this thread (and in society in general) fail to see the complexities in life. They want a simple answer when quite often there isn't one.

If I was to edit your post: I personally feel that too many people on this thread (and in society in general) want to create a link when there quite often isn't one.

Quite often they are news reporters after a story, knowing fine well it will hit social media and be blown out of all proportion.

So in addition to your racism against white and black people in this thread, your trivialising of the actual real issue of slavery historically and today by taking pot-shots at some Scottish students who've coloured their face to watch the African Nations, you're now onto the hilariouslysadly predictable and pervasive tactic of male-hate white-hate bigotry in retreat, throwing out the 'angry white man' card when challenged :lol:

Nightmare #3 well and truly under way.

That's some pretty impressive achievements from me then eh? I'm doing something right at least.

Archived