• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus! Didn't know Ayr were full time too! How can a club as small as Morton sustain that? What is their turnover?

Cant imagine it being too bad tbh, not that long ago Morton were challenging for second tier title. A poor past few years but my prediction is they will come back up after this season and start too work their way up. The thing I fear is them staying down and going part-time, losing another full-time team in Scotland cant be good. If its alloa vs Morton in play offs they can go f**k themselves though ;)

Cant imagine it being too bad tbh, not that long ago Morton were challenging for second tier title. A poor past few years but my prediction is they will come back up after this season and start too work their way up. The thing I fear is them staying down and going part-time, losing another full-time team in Scotland cant be good. If its alloa vs Morton in play offs they can go f**k themselves though ;)

Aye, Morton are a pretty big club. They'd get decent attendances in the top flight - I'm sure they took a couple of thousand to an away title decider-type match against Partick just a couple of seasons ago. Think it was a delayed ko to get them all in.

Wouldn't want to see them, Ayr, Pars in third tier for too long as their support would bleed away. Airdire used to be a big-ish club too.

Aye, Morton are a pretty big club. They'd get decent attendances in the top flight - I'm sure they took a couple of thousand to an away title decider-type match against Partick just a couple of seasons ago. Think it was a delayed ko to get them all in.

Wouldn't want to see them, Ayr, Pars in third tier for too long as their support would bleed away. Airdire used to be a big-ish club too.

As I said as long as it doesn't send Alloa down ;)

Imagine taking a big crowd to a title decider. Morton must be unique in that regard.

The support thing is a useless and irrelevant point.

Imagine taking a big crowd to a title decider. Morton must be unique in that regard.

I thought the 'support thing' was the reason why Ayr, Morton and Dunfermline could afford to play full-time in the third tier, which seems quite relevant to the foregoing.

It's also useful to know which clubs have the support to sustain full-time football if you're looking at structuring your leagues to have a predominantly full-time second tier that gives depth of quality in the Scottish game. Or maybe not?

Ayr have an average attendance of 1100 and Morton 1400. Amazed they can sustain FT football on that.

That's pretty much what I was meaning by saying that their support would bleed away after too many years in tier 3. It seems to have happened with Airdire and looks like Ayr couldn't support full-time football for much longer if they carry on with those numbers and an extended stay in that division.

Ideally, if/when reconstruction comes around again we'll look at making the top two tiers large enough to support the potential full-timers that are left. Then maybe a national conference for ambitious part-timers, and 3 regional premiers below that.

Ayr have an average attendance of 1100 and Morton 1400. Amazed they can sustain FT football on that.

We can't: our chairman kindly adds the losses to the ever-growing pile of debt owed to his sweetie company. On the other hand, our annual shortfall would likely be wiped out (or at least greatly reduced) by the prize money awarded for respectable finishes in the Championship under the new setup; which is why clubs are running full-time squads in League One to try and get there. To the surprise of many including myself, that's working out better for Morton compared to Dunfermline whereas Ayr's hybrid full-time/part-time model hasn't changed the fact that they always are and will be utter shite.

We also took the same level of support to Firhill the last time you were relevant - the final day of the 07-08 season - with our support and club dislodging your rabble into play-offs, relegation a year later and sending it spinning into oblivion.

You're very welcome.

That's pretty much what I was meaning by saying that their support would bleed away after too many years in tier 3. It seems to have happened with Airdire and looks like Ayr couldn't support full-time football for much longer if they carry on with those numbers and an extended stay in that division.

Ideally, if/when reconstruction comes around again we'll look at making the top two tiers large enough to support the potential full-timers that are left. Then maybe a national conference for ambitious part-timers, and 3 regional premiers below that.

Why should the league be restructured to ensure the likes of Dunfermline or Morton are always in the second tier?

There is already enough places in the championship for full time teams if they can't dislodge the part timers in that league like Alloa, Cowdenbeath etc. then they deserve to be in the 3rd tier.

If you're well run and pay sensible wages I don't see why you can't sustain full-time football in Scotland on crowds of 1400. Of course Morton are neither well-run nor paying sensible wages, but Morton being a clusterfuck doesn't detract from the general point.

Why should the league be restructured to ensure the likes of Dunfermline or Morton are always in the second tier?

There is already enough places in the championship for full time teams if they can't dislodge the part timers in that league like Alloa, Cowdenbeath etc. then they deserve to be in the 3rd tier.

What I'm trying to get at is that our current league structure is needlessly cut-throat at that level.

There aren't enough places in the Championship at the moment to prevent those clubs (Morton, Ayr, Dunfermline, Livi, Raith, etc) with a really decent support from facing relegation or being in tier 3 season-on-season, when a decent-sized 2nd tier would enable them the stability to plan properly for an attempt at the Premiership whilst keep their relatively large fan-bases enfranchised. And a bigger second tier would also give more small clubs/part-timers their chance too.

It really depends on if you want a deeper pool of full-time clubs with big supports striving for the top tier or not. However, these are just my own prejudices!

But, yes, everyone is where they are on merit and that's the way it should always be.

Judging on today, Montrose are as well winding up now. Weren't even good enough to be crap. Came to us, played for a point, at a venue they've won at four of the last six visits, when rooted to tenth with more games played than everyone else. At least every other team is trying, especially Elgin and Shire. And us, thankfully. Good fucking riddance.

Archived