Ban racists from using the internet

ICTChris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31246808

A groupof MPs has published a report recommending that people who post racist or hateful material online should be banned from using social media. The committee has said that this could be done using legislation aimed at blocking convicted sex offenders from using the internet.

I think this is worrying for several reasons

1 - I don't think you should censor people from expressing hateful views.

2 - If there is a rise in anti-Semitism then surely it's better to ask why people hate Jews. There are lots of people with twisted beliefs about Jews and Judaism and rather than try and ban people from expressing these I think that it's better to counter these views and expose them.

3 - The idea of using legislation aimed at curbing sex offenders access to the internet is deeply disturbing. The main reason that sex offenders will have their internet access restricted will be as part of their parole or punishment and is to prevent them from accessing images of abuse. The idea that the laws passed for this purpose could be extended to others has serious consequences for civil rights and freedoms. We've seen how legislation initially drafted for terrorism has crept into usage for other crimes (Nat West Three, Gary MacKinnon) and this looks like another possible example of this.

Would the images that Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were killed for producing end up causing people to have the internet removed from them? What do P&Bers think of this?

How could this possibly be enfoorced? It can't.

It can't be. They could easily just make up fake accounts. Better having them with real accounts so that if anything happens they can find them and punish them surely?

Ps. f**k off Mozza!!!!

The report leaders,,,,

..We dont know what to expect in the future, whether Jews will be able to live in Europe

Jewish teenager speaking to the Inquiry

This parliamentary report is a plan for action, it must be implemented without delay

John Mann MP

....honestly.

Chairman John Mann, says it all really, this is the John Mann mouthpiece for the Zionist lobby who recently failed in an attempt to ban Pro Palestine movements within trade unions by trying to pass them off as Antisemitic .

What's this about 1320lichtie being a racist?

Numerous 'you call Scottish people scots' type posts.

Eta: fwiw I don't think he's particularly racist but just comes out with all the dumb things that actual racists use to try and deflect it.

What's this about 1320lichtie being a racist?

In part, see the Stirling Uni bad 'uns thread.

fwiw I don't think he's particularly racist but just comes out with all the dumb things that actual racists use to try and deflect it.

^^^ Racist apologist type post. :P

It can't be. They could easily just make up fake accounts. Better having them with real accounts so that if anything happens they can find them and punish them surely?

Ps. f**k off Mozza!!!!

What do you mean by the bolded part?

It's well intentioned but ultimately useless, the government try and treat internet behaviour as something similar to on the streets. When chances are it'll take a lot of money to make an example of a few people. They are better off just sticking to sites that encourage that kind behaviour like Stormfront or mumsnet and tracking down mouthbreathers on Facebook.

Arresting 1320Lichtie and throwing away the key would be a benefit though.

Archived