How to get into watching NFL.

RJM77

2-2-1 I am which isn't even that bad tbf, got my arse handed to me by the Texans though, 38-8 :lol: with EJ Manuel's first 3 passes of the game all being intercepted and returned for TD's :(

Sounding more and more like real life now!!!!!

How did you tie a game on Madden? That's near impossible

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounding more and more like real life now!!!!!

How did you tie a game on Madden? That's near impossible

No idea :lol: finished 10-10 against the Dolphins, does OT work like Golden Goal were first TD wins or does it go to the wire no matter what?

Read this article. It was a big deal a few months back. Darryl Talley is a great representation of the typical "fan favorite" football player. He was a really, really good, but not great, player with a workmanlike attitude.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/26/broke-and-broken/

ORLANDO, Fla. – Those closest to Darryl Talley are terrified. His wife, daughters and former teammates openly cry for him. They lament what has befallen him. They dread what his future might hold. ¶ Talley’s life is in tatters. Loved ones say his mind is deteriorating. He’s begrudgingly starting to agree. ¶ He’s 54, but his body is a wreck and continues to crumble. He suspects collisions from playing linebacker for 14 NFL seasons, a dozen with the Buffalo Bills, have damaged his brain. He’s often depressed beyond the point of tears. ¶ He’s bitter at the National Football League for discarding him and denying that he’s too disabled to work anymore. He says the Bills have jilted him, too. ¶ He learned after he retired that he’d played with a broken neck. ¶ He had a heart attack in his 40s. ¶ He lost his business. The bank foreclosed on the Talleys’ home of 17 years. Against her husband’s pride, Janine Talley has accepted money from friends to pay the bills. ¶ He contemplates killing himself.

No idea :lol: finished 10-10 against the Dolphins, does OT work like Golden Goal were first TD wins or does it go to the wire no matter what?

Its kind of like golden goal...its first team to score a TD or if the first team in possession scores a field goal, the defending team gets a chance to score, if they dont then the first team wins...they dont make it easy to explain :P

Basically, if the team which has possession first scores a touchdown, they win, and the game is over.

If the team which has possession first scores a field goal, the game continues. If the opposition then score a touchdown, they win. If they fail to score any points, they lose. If they score a field goal too, the game effectively becomes sudden death and the next team to get any points wins.

If the team which has possession first fails to score any points, it, again, effectively becomes sudden death and next team to score wins.

If the team which has possession first concedes a safety, they lose.

If the teams are still level at the end of overtime, the game is a tie unless it is a playoff game. If it's a playoff game they carry on into a second period of overtime... and so on, until they have a winner.

(It's actually a lot more straightforward then how I've explained it!)

Must be my most hated rule in the NFL. Both teams should get at least one possession each. If after that the score is tied, then go into sudden death. The coin toss is far to important.

Yep totally agree.

That and pass interference penalties for 50 yards.

Because there is a possibility they wouldn't have been able to stop you either, but you never get to find out. If you have two teams with impressive offenses but rubbish defenses, the rule is massively biased in favour of the team which wins the toss. It's a lot better than it was, when the team that wins the toss only has to get to about the thirty-five yard line to win, but still needs improving.

I would just play overtime as a normal period like in regular time. Whoever is winning when time expires wins. If it's a tie, it's a tie. For playoff games, have a two-point conversion shootout if the scores are level when OT concludes.

There are 3 phases of play. If you can't stop a team scoring a TD on one possession, why should you win the game?

Well exactly. There are 3 phases of play, so why should both teams potentially only the have the chance to play one phase? O for the coin toss winner and D for the loser.

Well exactly. There are 3 phases of play, so why should both teams potentially only the have the chance to play one phase? O for the coin toss winner and D for the loser.

Fair enough.

I still don't know why it's unfair though. Win the game in normal time or make a stop.

Fair enough.

I still don't know why it's unfair though. Win the game in normal time or make a stop.

It's easy to make it sound fair when you look at it from only one angle, but you've got to look at it from both sides.

Compare it to football (soccer) as an example.

It's the equivalent of a penalty shootout, where Team B only gets to take their penalty only if they first managed to save Team A's penalty.

Edit: In fact, tennis is probably an even better example. Imagine Person A serves first and it goes to 6-6. It'd be the equivalent of letting it finish 7-6 just because "win the set in normal time, or break their serve." What if neither player was capable of holding their own serve?

22 regular season games went to OT last year. That's only 9% of the games played. 3 of those games were won with a first possession TD (including one game winning defensive TD). The percentage of games where a team was negatively affected by the rule last year was 0.78%. That's insignificant.

22 regular season games went to OT last year. That's only 9% of the games played. 3 of those games were won with a first possession TD (including one game winning defensive TD). The percentage of games where a team was negatively affected by the rule last year was 0.78%. That's insignificant.

And that's the equivelant of 1.7 games in the Scottish Premiership. If 1 or 2 games EVERY SINGLE SEASON were decided here by something essentially as trivial as a coin toss, you wouldn't think people would question it? It's patently an unfair system regardless of how often it happens.

Even the bumbling oafs running Scottish football would do something to change a system like that.

I'm going to try and "get into" watching the NFL this/next season. I said that last year though and only caught the occasional Channel 4 highlights show.

No real idea about the rules or what team to support but I've always thought I'd like the Vikings. 'Cos, you know, vikings are a tenuous link to the North of Scotland.

It's not decided by a coin toss though. It's decided by two teams playing football.

But with one having a distinct advantage, which is decided by coin toss.

Indeed. Again, you get two teams with good offenses and crap defenses and it gives a very clear advantage to the team which has the ball first.

Even if you have a good defense, there is always the chance a team can put together a brilliant play or drive and score at touchdown. It's only fair that the other team should then have the chance to do likewise.

Indeed. Again, you get two teams with good offenses and crap defenses and it gives a very clear advantage to the team which has the ball first.

Even if you have a good defense, there is always the chance a team can put together a brilliant play or drive and score at touchdown. It's only fair that the other team should then have the chance to do likewise.

Well then it's the other teams fault for having a poor defence...

You dont think a brilliant play in overtime is enough to deserve a win or an extended drive?

What if both teams have poor defenses? Why should the one that wins the toss get to go through while the one that loses the toss doesn't get a chance to expose the other's poor D?

To twist the original question, what would be wrong with a system that allowed both teams a chance to score a TD?

Archived