How to get into watching NFL.

RJM77

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wait? Gamepass is quite cheap now (access until 31st July). You could watch a lot of games now, and get coach cam etc for around £29.99.

I would advise against Madden straight away tbh. The game's defensive AI is better now than it was in the past, and if you don't know what you are looking for you will end up throwing more picks than Jay Cutler.

The Bills look utter shite tbf, think I'll avoid them, looks like it's going to be the Giants!

Hey, a couple of points about the Giants vs Jets choice.

Ownership: Because of the NFL's egalitarian financial structure, ownership style is more important than cash when it comes to determining success on the field. All of the crap franchises who are terrible year after year for decades have owners who do a poor job of managing their organization. The Giants have been owned for 3 generations by the Mara family. They founded the franchise and are considered amongst the best owners in North American sports. The Giants aren't the most decorated pro sports franchise, but they are among the most consistently solid when measured over the course of a century. The Jets are owned by Woody Johnson, heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune. He's not a long time owner, but under him the Jets have developed a reputation for trying to win the battle for NYC media attention by making big splashes while the Giants competently go about their business in a quieter way.

Fans: There are Jets and Giants fans all over New York and northern New Jersey, but the Jets heartland is Queens and Long Island. Everywhere else in the region the Giants fans dominate. Before deciding to share a stadium with the Giants the Jets original home was Shea Stadium in Queens. Shea's primary tenants were the New York Mets. Because of this there is a correlation between Yankees/Giants fans (the Giants used to share Yankee Stadium) and Mets/Jets fans. Also, the Jets fanbase has a bit of a rougher, ruder, and louder reputation when compared to the Giants fanbase. Of course this is a matter of degree, but the Jets parking lot has a reputation as one of the easier places in the NFL to find a fight if you are so inclined and Jets fans are stereotyped as the sort of folks who will swear uncontrollably at underperforming members of their squad.

This is one of my favorite sports youtube videos. Half of the reason it's funny is the reaction to Tim Tebow, which you won't understand, but it's still worth a peek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xGGgz5TcI

Near future prospects:

Giants - They've won two Super Bowls in recent history, but they are also two of the flukiest Super Bowl champions. In both cases they were borderline playoff teams and probably closer to the 10th best team than the best team over the course of the season. They haven't been as dominant as two Super Bowls in the past 8 years would indicate. Their coach, Tom Coughlin, is old and close to retirement. There's been talk the past couple of seasons that he could be fired, but it's hard to force out a two time Super Bowl winning coach. The quarterback is Eli Manning who's a borderline Hall of Fame candidate, but at 34 years old appears to be on the downside of his career. You're probably looking at a competitive mid-tier team, but I suspect that they are done as a serious title contender under the Manning/Coughlin regime.

Jets - New 1st time head coach. A quarterback entering his 3rd year who looks like a complete bust, so they'll probably be going in a different direction this year or next. They're in for at least a lean year or two, but who knows beyond that.

Thanks for the post Yank Mike, really insightful, makes me want to choose the Giants even more! One quick question, I followed a bunch of NFL teams on Twitter and they're all tweeting about this Combine thing. Why are all the teams tweeting about different players? Are they the players that team is likely to go for in the draft or am I being really stupid and it's something painfully obvious? Cheers.

Thanks for the post Yank Mike, really insightful, makes me want to choose the Giants even more! One quick question, I followed a bunch of NFL teams on Twitter and they're all tweeting about this Combine thing. Why are all the teams tweeting about different players? Are they the players that team is likely to go for in the draft or am I being really stupid and it's something painfully obvious? Cheers.

Team twitter pages aren't run by the coaches or GM's. They are usually plugging stuff that has been written on their site. It is useful for seeing team needs and what may happen (for example the Jets have a Winston vs Mariota article on their front page which means we have a huge need at QB). Take it with a pinch of salt, the people that actually make the decisions don't tend to give away their hand before draft day. Some things get leaked but it's very difficult to tell whether they are genuine or just being thrown out there to put people off the scent.

Yeah go with Todd n pick a unique unfashionable team. Chiefs is a good shout.

Who isn't represented on here?

Chiefs

Browns

Jags

Vikings

Bills

Bengals

I think that list is right anyway. Could be totally wrong.

Fife Saint is a Browns fan. The rest is right going by the "Who do you support and why" thread.

As was said above, ignore official NFL twitter feeds. Teams don't want to tip their hand on draft preferences because they trade draft position for another position and players right up until the minute they are required to announce selections.

I'm not on twitter, but some of the bigger information guys covering the NFL are Peter King, Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen, and Mike Florio. Those are a few of the guys who rush to break news on twitter and have sources inside all the franchises.

The combine gets a bunch of coverage on the physical half (40 yd dash time, bench press, vertical leap, etc) but most teams use it more for the interviews and intelligence tests. From the physical side teams are just looking to make sure thel measurements match up to what they've seen on film from college games. Also, each college holds a pro day where all draft prospects have a chance to redo the physical measurements.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally settled on a team, and I've went with the Buffalo Bills! Started a Madden career the other night with them and love them already, doing fairly shite with them though :lol:

I've finally settled on a team, and I've went with the Buffalo Bills! Started a Madden career the other night with them and love them already, doing fairly shite with them though :lol:

Just like real life then

Just like real life then

2-2-1 I am which isn't even that bad tbf, got my arse handed to me by the Texans though, 38-8 :lol: with EJ Manuel's first 3 passes of the game all being intercepted and returned for TD's :(

Archived