Council Tax Thaw?

RabidAl

If you could disagree in less than a hundred words folk may pay more attention.

If your attention span is less than 500 words, I don't care what you think.

For the record, the contributions I've made on this thread were:

104 words

141 words (replied to by the poster in question with 166 words)

315 words

123 words

None of these is egregious. It's called being an adult, and therefore capable of constructing more than a paragraph to communicate more than 3 or 4 ideas or pieces of information.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your attention span is less than 500 words, I don't care what you think.For the record, the contributions I've made on this thread were:104 words141 words (replied to by the poster in question with 166 words)315 words123 wordsNone of these is egregious. It's called being an adult, and therefore capable of constructing more than a paragraph to communicate more than 3 or 4 ideas or pieces of information.

Anyone who has any doubt about what you contribute to this forum (as opposed to what you could contribute to this forum) need only read that post.

I won't encourage you by responding to any reply.

Anyone who has any doubt about what you contribute to this forum (as opposed to what you could contribute to this forum) need only read that post.

I won't encourage you by responding to any reply.

For the benefit of those so senile they cannot read, on average in this thread, posts of 112 words (now 105) in length, perhaps some actual evidence instead of posturing about people having more nuanced and thorough arguments is in order?

If your attention span is less than 500 words, I don't care what you think.

For the record, the contributions I've made on this thread were:

104 words

141 words (replied to by the poster in question with 166 words)

315 words

123 words

None of these is egregious. It's called being an adult, and therefore capable of constructing more than a paragraph to communicate more than 3 or 4 ideas or pieces of information.

You counted this :))

Thought Dangers original point was shit anyway.

And you were correct to think so.

It's not just the number of words that's the problem. Ad Lib can be more boring in four lines than some can be in four long paragraphs. That's the problem.

It's a talent of mine.

How long is your fixed term for? When it expires you will be dumped on variable rate... will probably be lower than fixed tho due to continual fall in rates

5 years.

My dad is a mortgage advisor so I'm pretty sure I've had good advice.

You don't get dumped on a variable rate, you call whoever your mortgage is with and negotiate/choose your next rate.

5 years.

My dad is a mortgage advisor so I'm pretty sure I've had good advice.

You don't get dumped on a variable rate, you call whoever your mortgage is with and negotiate/choose your next rate.

You do if you don't negotiate, you will revert to standard variable rate. Of course you can fix again of course. No way I'd have fixed for 5 yrs with rates going downwards. But each to our own

You do if you don't negotiate, you will revert to standard variable rate. Of course you can fix again of course. No way I'd have fixed for 5 yrs with rates going downwards. But each to our own

If it's a recent mortgage fixed rate makes sense. With inflation at 0% there's no way the rates will drop any more but any unexpected economic changes could see them going up.

Please forward the £200 fee for unsolicited financial advise to my account.

If it's a recent mortgage fixed rate makes sense. With inflation at 0% there's no way the rates will drop any more but any unexpected economic changes could see them going up.

Please forward the £200 fee for unsolicited financial advise to my account.

It all depends on your rate. Fixed rates are set based on variable trends, if the variable is going down you could be lucky. But if the variable is at the bottom like you say, then a fixed rate will most certainly be higher.. so there is your risk. Ie variable rents could increase and you could be quids in..... but this is unlikely in short to mid term thus you will probably end up paying more over say a 3yr fixed term

I will see your 200 and raise u..

It all depends on your rate. Fixed rates are set based on variable trends, if the variable is going down you could be lucky. But if the variable is at the bottom like you say, then a fixed rate will most certainly be higher.. so there is your risk. Ie variable rents could increase and you could be quids in..... but this is unlikely in short to mid term thus you will probably end up paying more over say a 3yr fixed term

I will see your 200 and raise u..

Your probably right but I would rather have my payments fixed for a period with the assumption and hope that at the end of the 5 years I either get a better rate ( or similar ) or my financial circumstances will have improved to where I could possibly "gamble" on a variable rate although of course gamble isn't the right word.

I'm comfortable.

Your probably right but I would rather have my payments fixed for a period with the assumption and hope that at the end of the 5 years I either get a better rate ( or similar ) or my financial circumstances will have improved to where I could possibly "gamble" on a variable rate although of course gamble isn't the right word.

I'm comfortable.

Fair point. Least you know where you are for 5yrs and like you say you should hopefully be earning more money etc etc..

Instead of setting payments on income or the value of property would it not be fairer to base them on the volume of services used thus ensuring that a person living alone would not be burdened with paying for services provided to a large family. An entry level levy could be set and then additional charges applied depending on household size. It may take time to set up but if enough effort went into it this could be taken to its logical conclusion with a menu of services being created from which individuals could choose which services they wanted, that way if you want to use the library and council childcare you pay the set fees for those services but if you've got a kindle and no kids and fancy the local council gyms you would pay for that and not the services you never use. Seems much fairer than a blanket charge for local services you may never use or benefit from.

Instead of setting payments on income or the value of property would it not be fairer to base them on the volume of services used thus ensuring that a person living alone would not be burdened with paying for services provided to a large family. An entry level levy could be set and then additional charges applied depending on household size. It may take time to set up but if enough effort went into it this could be taken to its logical conclusion with a menu of services being created from which individuals could choose which services they wanted, that way if you want to use the library and council childcare you pay the set fees for those services but if you've got a kindle and no kids and fancy the local council gyms you would pay for that and not the services you never use. Seems much fairer than a blanket charge for local services you may never use or benefit from.

Playing devil's advocate here:

If I choose to have refuse collection, I will be charged more for the same service due to household size?

If I walk 5 miles per day and the OAP next door only walks to the shop and back, do I get charged a higher level of Pavement Usage?

What happens if you are assigned a social worker, do you receive a retrospective charge?

Your proposal appears to be a conflation of the Council Tax and Poll Tax.

Playing devil's advocate here:

If I choose to have refuse collection, I will be charged more for the same service due to household size?

If I walk 5 miles per day and the OAP next door only walks to the shop and back, do I get charged a higher level of Pavement Usage?

What happens if you are assigned a social worker, do you receive a retrospective charge?

Your proposal appears to be a conflation of the Council Tax and Poll Tax.

The pavement tax, bins etc would be covered by the initial levy, all your "extras" would them be paid for, so if you want a low bill you don't take much or if you want it all you pay for it.

The pavement tax, bins etc would be covered by the initial levy, all your "extras" would them be paid for, so if you want a low bill you don't take much or if you want it all you pay for it.

Not too different from now then! Many council srrvices are already paid for on a usage basis.

Archived