SPFL goal of the month

I'd agree with this. However, I feel if they were going to pull this off successfully, perhaps it would have been better for the boy to have 'won' but then 'second place' wins the proper accolade.

It's better to allow him to win the award organically, IMO, however contrived it might actually be.

It's only a goal of the month award, it's not going to define any club or its players. Give the chap his moment.

It's probably the most positive thing I've seen come from Scottish football since the advent of the SPFL. And people still moan about it!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only read about it on here and thought it was skys award, obviously i was wrong, my bad.

No worries, like I say I'm only basing this on the report I've read which calls it SPFL goal of the month.

Genuinely not sure how it's run etc!

Bunglebonce has nailed it. It's PR for Celtic, nothing more and nothing less.

I think since its a premiership competition it has its place in the premiership general chatter but since your not particularly interested in it and your a mod you can be as dismissive of it as you like.

My my, you're a stroppy bitch today. I think it's much more than great PR story for Celtic, as I've said above.

It's better to allow him to win the award organically, IMO, however contrived it might actually be.

It's only a goal of the month award, it's not going to define any club or its players. Give the chap his moment.

It's probably the most positive thing I've seen come from Scottish football since the advent of the SPFL. And people still moan about it!

By successfully I mean to stop people complaining!

Hope he's shortlisted for the Puskas Awards.

I don't believe it gives that impression in the slightest.

Neither do I. Hopefully Deefiant reads the piece I've linked.

And an article from the Belfast Telegraph which makes it clear that Hamilton invited him to the match: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/celtic-superfan-jay-beattie-11-from-lurgan-wins-scottish-premiership-goal-of-the-month-31008023.html

I'm really pleased for the boy and by the looks of his face he had a really good time. Hamilton, Lennon and Samaras all come across very well out of it.

That's where it should have ended tbh.

Giving him the award is one step too far. It's completely patronising to the stage where they are just making a foot of him.

My my, you're a stroppy bitch today. I think it's much more than great PR story for Celtic, as I've said above.

I will concede I'm not in the best mood today so perhaps should have had a re-think on starting this but it's out there now!

Your points are all wonderful, of course it promotes inclusion etc. I'm all for that and I'm trying (and failing I think) to strike the tone here of showing that I found the moment itself, and what it will mean to that wee boy, genuinely heart warming and nice. The subsequent nomination etc is a bit too far though and Celtic are and will do their level best to continue to promote their brand using this.

I assume Celtic will be including all of their disabled fans to an equal extent. This young lad is being made a figurehead for the club and I feel that his inclusion to the nth degree could lead to a feeling of exclusion or inferiority to a number of other disabled (and indeed non-disabled children) fans, not only of Celtic but of clubs across the country.

We should just hand Celtic the league title because they have a cute kid with downs as a supporter IMO.

In all seriousness I like the gesture, this is a good news story. It is positive PR for the league but, at the same time it is good free positive PR for Celtic that isn't about to be afforded to other clubs. The problem here is, that in the interest of balance they'll have to have similar sevco story /opportunity at some stage. Making it fine, which it won't be.

Just leaving this as a one-off, never to be repeated is the best outcome here.

Also the 97% of the vote is irrelevant as you'd have to be some kind of granite-hearted b*****d not to have voted for option J(ay). Like me, Goal A Goodwillie by some distance IMHO.

its great PR for the whole of scottish football .

the initial kudos to Hamilton for the invite and for Sky putting it in the goal of the month.

its not surpising that Celtic have championed it as he is a Celtic fan and it highlighting the wee mans plight and his big day out to their wider audience is the least they can do.

its positives like this we should be proud of.

I've now watched the goals and can see that Greg Stewart was indeed robbed by this young pretender :P

On a more serious note if I had to choose it would have been Doolans back heel effort - naughty.

The only other esult that could have prompted me to start a thread is if that cheating diving GMS had won it for his cross that fluked into the net.

Mr Gandosaur, on 20 Feb 2015 - 13:48, said:

My question is why is this lad more special than any other disabled kid who goes along to watch their team?

Fully expect a random disabled child to be selected each month from now on. Because it's 'good PR'.

Apparently this kid was pulled out of the crowd by Samaras last season and he's now somewhat of a mascot for Celtic generally. I'm not really sure how this advances the cause of inclusion or empowerment for disabled people generally but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to explain.

Archived