Charity nonsense

Growl3th

Some guy I went to school with private messaged everyone on Facebook and constantly hassled them, including posting link on pages and spamming timelines with his Just Giving page as he was doing the London marathon.

It was for a charity that was based in Inverness and had supported one of my grandparents, so i donated a tenner and defriended him. I heard from one of my friends that he had raised over £750, fair play I thought. The London marathon came and went and heard from a friend he went quiet a week before the race and eventually admitted he didnt do it, but posted on facebook that the donations would just carry on to the next attempt at a marathon.

This was 4 years ago, nothing has happened yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't have mentioned it if the charity fund raiser wasn't over, but the CEO of Maggies, Laura Lee, was paid between £120,000 and £130,000 in 2012, plus £16,459 into her pension fund. To me that's a huge salary considering the number of people who do charity work for nothing or minimum wage, but I suppose that's roughly what a GP gets, and she seems to be doing a good job and helping a lot of people.

https://www.maggiescentres.org/media/uploads/publications/annual-reports-and-financial-statements/accounts12.pdf

The average GP earns considerably less mate. The average partner earns 100K whic is indeed a whack but most GPs are not partners and earn a good deal less.

I tell you what grinds my gears. c***s doing shit for "charity".

You want to do a parachute jump, climb Kiliminjaro, walk the Great Wall of China or go into space. Pay for it yourself.

Marathons, half-marathons, Ironmans etc... I tolerate them cos at least there's some effort involved and it's not just having a day of fun at some other c**t's expense.

A couple of years ago, some well-meaning p***k tried to get me to fund his daughters trip to Macchu Picchu. I'm usually quite mild-mannered, but I couldn't disguise my disgust.

Does anyone want to sponsor me to go to the pub?

I'd raise a fortune asking for sponsors to keep me out the pub.

Guest The Phoenix
Scrunched the attachment and launched it at my boss with a " no fecking chance" accomplishment.

^^^ sacked for gross incompetence / stupidity.

Start on fishing boat when the winds die down, so hopefully Thursday.

And no peoples pension with that caper ;)

How terrible being people being required to make provision for their retirement. Whatever are the government thinking? :rolleyes:

How terrible being people being required to make provision for their retirement. Whatever are the government thinking? :rolleyes:

My point, as already stated, is that is what NI is for. This is effectively a fair lump onto that. At the most it is 12% on earnings above @£7,500. Add 4% onto that and it is a 33% rise near as dammit.

And the auto enrollment is 'disturbing'.

My point, as already stated, is that is what NI is for. This is effectively a fair lump onto that. At the most it is 12% on earnings above @£7,500. Add 4% onto that and it is a 33% rise near as dammit.

And the auto enrollment is 'disturbing'.

Aye, if yer happy to live on the pittance the state pension will be when yer auld, knock yersel out. I personally hope to have a bit more than that so am quite happy to do this.

Edited to add: will you even be paying NI in yer "new job?"

Aye, if yer happy to live on the pittance the state pension will be when yer auld, knock yersel out. I personally hope to have a bit more than that so am quite happy to do this.

Edited to add: will you even be paying NI in yer "new job?"

My responsibility I think . Same as Income Tax.

My responsibility I think . Same as Income Tax.

100% your responisibilty, it is amazing though how many people f**k up things that are their responisibility and expect others to sort it out for them though. Hency why the government are doing this.

And the pittance of the state pension is down to underfunding through NI contributions.

Did they trumpet this Pension ? No, seems a very soft launch for something so large, probably because if they tried to increase the rate of NI they would not have got the legislation passed.

100% your responisibilty, it is amazing though how many people f**k up things that are their responisibility and expect others to sort it out for them though. Hency why the government are doing this.

The PAYE system avoids that which is where most people fall under, so this is a PAYE payment.

And I welcome my responsibilities :)

Archived