Morton v Forfar Pathetic

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duffy is still not the man for the job imo. Continuing to insist on starting crighton and mckee, filling the squad with centre halves at the start of the season and continuing to play players out of position just reinforce my opinion. I reckon that if we do win the league it will be in spite of Duffy, not because of his managerial expertise.

We could win every game 5-0 until the end of the season and Duffy would still be derided for his decisions, line-ups and substitutions. Same as Moore, McInally, Irons and basically everyone who has been in charge since Benny Rooney was sacked.

The Cowshed really ought to be in charge IMO.

The thing is, none of our recent managers have gone onto better things in the game. Plenty of managers leave a team to move upwards - just not anyone at Morton. Stark had us playing good football that wasn't always the most effective. With the rest the bad always outweighed the good.

Duffy's team reminds me of Moore. With Moore I always felt like our better players dragged us through without us ever looking like a cohesive unit. It created the feeling that disaster was never far away.

Perhaps but the actual point was to do with people predicting starting XIs. You surely can't argue that Duffy rather often makes changes which surprise and baffle most of us. The most recent example being McKee coming back into the centre of midfield with Forbes being pushed out wide.

... not to mention that Pepper spends most of his time on the bench and he randomly drops another of our best players (Caldwell) There's plenty of other examples... I'm beginning to believe that it's all part of a great plan to flummox the opposition (and everybody else) So far , it seems to be effective (if you take the Spartans out of the equation, probably)

He's a dumpling, but now is not the time to be saying so.

You just did :unsure:

I thought Morton would win the league as though Duffy might not be be great, he'd know what it takes to win this league and the chairman has backed him up with the funds for decent signings - especially the strikers. You were never going to have to be amazing to win this league. It reminds me a bit of the last time we won the First Division. Jim McIntyre made good signings in the January window and we ended up cruising what had been a competitive league up to that point. We simply brought in a bunch of players that would have walked into any team in the league.

Who knows - he might still muck it up but Morton look like they have it in the bag.

Seemingly Swankie and Hilson are doubts, if that is the case and even one of them are out we have no chance. Not like me to be negative but we just dont have enough in reserve to replace their quality.

I thought Morton would win the league as though Duffy might not be be great, he'd know what it takes to win this league and the chairman has backed him up with the funds for decent signings - especially the strikers. You were never going to have to be amazing to win this league. It reminds me a bit of the last time we won the First Division. Jim McIntyre made good signings in the January window and we ended up cruising what had been a competitive league up to that point. We simply brought in a bunch of players that would have walked into any team in the league.

Who knows - he might still muck it up but Morton look like they have it in the bag.

Its just making sure the bag has no holes in it.

Seemingly Swankie and Hilson are doubts, if that is the case and even one of them are out we have no chance. Not like me to be negative but we just dont have enough in reserve to replace their quality.

True but it might force Campbell's hand to play a more defensive team, which might not be the worst thing in the world right now. Personally if there is any doubt we shouldn't play them as the game on Tuesday is arguably more of a chance to get points.

True but it might force Campbell's hand to play a more defensive team, which might not be the worst thing in the world right now. Personally if there is any doubt we shouldn't play them as the game on Tuesday is arguably more of a chance to get points.

Coming to Morton and trying to defend & play on the break is not a good strategy. Our strikers are capable of scoring against any team in this league. Our weakness, over the season, has been in defence.

Coming to Morton and trying to defend & play on the break is not a good strategy. Our strikers are capable of scoring against any team in this league. Our weakness, over the season, has been in defence.

To be fair I'm not entirely suggesting that more that Forfar need to be more strong defensively as we have been playing similar team / formation to what we do at home i.e. 4-4-2 with two wingers and it has been leaving us badly short for defensive cover against far worse teams than Morton. We need to find something that works away from home and keeping it tighter at the back would be a good start particularly if we don't have Swankie and Hilson available for selection.

That's worrying if both of those are out tomorrow.

If they're unavailable I'd hope to see a midfield three of Husband, Young and Malin (I want to see this regardless) with Kader and Denholm flanking Templeman up front.

The comments on 4-4-2 are correct, it isn't working on the road and we need to fix that.

Husband struggling with illness too apparently, down to bare bones. I can see Malin and James Dale flanking Young in the middle, the "forward" three will very much depend on the injuries to Hilson & swankie

Husband struggling with illness too apparently, down to bare bones. I can see Malin and James Dale flanking Young in the middle, the "forward" three will very much depend on the injuries to Hilson & swankie

Oh God.

It's interesting that we're pretty much in unison here about 4-3-3 or similar, and I bet we get this:

Douglas

Travis Malcolm Dods Campbell

Kader Young Malin Fotheringham

Denholm Templeman

I am not fooled by Forfar missing a couple of players - they will still be a hard nut to crack. It is, however, the time of season when lack of depth in a squad can get shown up.

Half of Forfar team out and they'll come and beat an in form Ton.

Story of our lives.

Seen it many a time before - an injury struck side comes to Scapa with kids drafted in and, with a point to prove, said team helps themselves to 3 or 4 goals.

Hearing other teams' injury doubts never has me rubbing my hands.

Seen it many a time before - an injury struck side comes to Scapa with kids drafted in and, with a point to prove, said team helps themselves to 3 or 4 goals.

Hearing other teams' injury doubts never has me rubbing my hands.

Apart from Forfar that one time.

Archived