World Cup 2018 Qualifying

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Pleased that Adelaide Oval has been announced as venue for Socceroos game against Tajikistan on 24 March. Venue for Jordan game 4 days later still to be announced. First International in Adelaide since 2011 and first WC qualifier since 2004, both of those v NZ.

• 3 months later...

They're now in third in their group. Top two progress, to the "Hexagonal Qualifying" 

Group C 

All Teams Played 3, 3 more to play

Trinidad and Tobago - 7pts (2)
Gualtemala - 6pts (5)
USA - 4pts (3)
St Vincent and the Grenadines - 0pts (-10)

Utter scenes if they fail to make it, but their remaining games with Guatemala and T&T are at home so they should pull through. Not doing Klinsmann's reputation much good though.

The big wigs at FIFA would be raging if the septics failed to make a WC.

The big wigs at FIFA would be raging if the septics failed to make a WC.

Sepp will be delighted if USA don't qualify. He probably still believes that the recent FBI investigations were an American conspiracy because they were pissed off not getting WC2022?

Now 4-0 up. Bit of a turnaround from the 2-0 defeat in Jordan not that long ago.

5. 20 mins left, this could end up 7 or 8 at this rate. Absolutely shocking tackle by their No23 on Kruse there. Only gets a booking.

I see Syria are through to the next round. There's a potential 'fairytale' right there.

This news doesn't surprise me. Based on reports I've heard they have quite an explosive attack and they play every game like it might be their last.

In all seriousness they seem to be a handy team, it doesn't surprise me to see them progressing. They were 1 goal from qualifying for the last Olympic Games and 1 goal from reaching the last qualifying stage for WC2010... They only failed to progress in WC2014 qualification over fielding an ineligible player (having trounced Tajikistan 6-1 both games were awarded 3-0 against).

They didn't do well in qualifying for last year's Asian Cup, but reached the finals of the previous edition where the beat Saudi Arabia, lost 2-1 to Jordan and lost 2-1 to Japan... They won the West Asian Cup in 2012 (didn't enter in 2014)... U17s qualified for U17 World Cup last year, and reached SFs of U16 Asian Cup the year before. Could quote a lot more online stats but they do appear to clearly sit among the second-rank Asian nations.

I suppose there is an element of surprise in that they're having to play games away from home and their clubs have limited access to AFC competition currently. That said one made QFs of Asian equivalent of the Europa League last season, indeed 3 of last 5 seasons.

This news doesn't surprise me. Based on reports I've heard they have quite an explosive attack and they play every game like it might be their last.

their wingers are well known for bombing down the wing, they only have two stands now though.

Archived