World Cup 2018 Qualifying

Nothing but #respect for the Irish. Our history is melts like Walter Scott and the Early of Eglington whinging about the Irish getting preferential treatment when they were rebelling against the British Crown every chance they got, won their freedom by being a constant pain in the arse and now they get to sit back and watch the rest of the British Isles voluntarily vote itself into the sea. And they qualify more often than not for a major tournament.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing but #respect for the Irish. Our history is melts like Walter Scott and the Early of Eglington whinging about the Irish getting preferential treatment when they were rebelling against the British Crown every chance they got, won their freedom by being a constant pain in the arse and now they get to sit back and watch the rest of the British Isles voluntarily vote itself into the sea. And they qualify more often than not for a major tournament.

Agree.

I’m envious as f**k of them.

A proper proud nation, whilst we have to put up with ‘patriotic’ losers like Jmo and Lex.

Hope they qualify.

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They created several very good chances and on another day could’ve gave them a hiding.

Won 9 out of their 10 group matches and finished second on goal difference to Portugal.

I’m sure they’ll be fine.

No point creating that many chances if you've got an absolute diddy like Seferovic on the end of them.

Wins in qualyfing shouldn't really be used as a barometer for how well a team will do at tournaments (England are a perfect example of that).

No point creating that many chances if you've got an absolute diddy like Seferovic on the end of them.
Wins in qualyfing shouldn't really be used as a barometer for how well a team will do at tournaments (England are a perfect example of that).

Yes, but it suggests that they won’t get ‘rode’ though considering all that, one of the wins was a 2-0 win v the current European champions.

They’ll be fine.

9 hours ago, Disco30 said:

Back to football. What the f**k was that pitch all about
Tonight ? Worst football pitch I've seen embarrassing to see a qualifier played on something like that

Was absolutely horsing it down for days before, but even at that I was surprised how bad the pitch was. Definitely didn't help the Swiss from what I seen of it. NI came closer than I would have expected over the two games. Again, the Swiss lack of anything like a competent centre forward was their biggest issue. They have a few half decent young centre halves coming through which looks like solving their problems in that position but nothing that suggests their attacking issues will be resolved any time soon.

Was absolutely horsing it down for days before, but even at that I was surprised how bad the pitch was. Definitely didn't help the Swiss from what I seen of it. NI came closer than I would have expected over the two games. Again, the Swiss lack of anything like a competent centre forward was their biggest issue. They have a few half decent young centre halves coming through which looks like solving their problems in that position but nothing that suggests their attacking issues will be resolved any time soon.

Embola looked a whole lot better than Seferovic, where’s he play?

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Embola looked a whole lot better than Seferovic, where’s he play?

Last few times I have seen him he has tended to play behind the main centre forward or used out wide. He looked good when he came through at Basel but since moving to Schalke has all but disappeared, granted that is mainly down to the career threatening injury he suffered. Never been fully convinced by him, definitely more reliant on his physical attributes than his ability on the ball but if he was fully fit I think he would offer more than Seferovic.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It would be "their second finals after their appearance in 1982", wouldn't it? They've worded it in a stupid way but it's technically correct.

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I mixed up Peru and Chile and thought they got them both wrong.

Yeah I think you're right.

15 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought you were on about New Zealand! It's too early for me.

So did I! :lol:

32 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

All my NI mates are talking about how one “disgraceful” decision has cost them a place at the WC.

Got to feel for them, it’s not as if they had another full game to play after it happened, and actually failed to score in 180 minutes.

You don't have a big group of North Ireland mates, do you? 

14 hours ago, PB 4.2 said:

What type of manager in Micheal O'Neill?     What's he good at and what his limitations?   

He's obviously touted for the Scotland job but I don't know too much about him.   

Cheers in advance.  

14 hours ago, PB 4.2 said:

What type of manager in Micheal O'Neill?     What's he good at and what his limitations?   

He's obviously touted for the Scotland job but I don't know too much about him.   

Cheers in advance.  

The phrase "miracle worker with limited resources" is used endlessly with him and rightly so, winning the group to get to the Euros and finishing second in this campaign has been incredible,the belief he has put in the squad is his strength, when you consider he used players from the likes of Hamilton Accies, Dunfermline and the English lower leagues and lifted NI to the higher end of the FIFA rankings that is a stunning achievement, tactically he's always had a fairly cautious approach in matches most likely due to the lack of choice he has with NI.

The Scotland job is of course a different animal to NI ,the expectancy and demand is far higher and given we have a golden. Generation coming through (fingers crossed) it would be interesting to see how his approach would differ if he had options in a squad.IMO the issue with Strachan wasn't that he didn't inspire the players it was he wasn't brave enough in his selections or tactics so in this sense I'd say O'Neill is a bit of an unknown quantity with this.

Also worth pointing out that O'Neill's success wasn't instant,his early results were pretty honking but he had enough about him that won the players and fans over and of course the rest is history.

Hard to say wether he'll take the Scotland job if offered, I think he fancies a crack at league management, a good championship side (Leeds or similar) would be my guess.

Just now, Co.Down Hibee said:

The phrase "miracle worker with limited resources" is used endlessly with him and rightly so, winning the group to get to the Euros and finishing second in this campaign has been incredible,the belief he has put in the squad is his strength, when you consider he used players from the likes of Hamilton Accies, Dunfermline and the English lower leagues and lifted NI to the higher end of the FIFA rankings that is a stunning achievement, tactically he's always had a fairly cautious approach in matches most likely due to the lack of choice he has with NI.

The Scotland job is of course a different animal to NI ,the expectancy and demand is far higher and given we have a golden. Generation coming through (fingers crossed) it would be interesting to see how his approach would differ if he had options in a squad.IMO the issue with Strachan wasn't that he didn't inspire the players it was he wasn't brave enough in his selections or tactics so in this sense I'd say O'Neill is a bit of an unknown quantity with this.

Also worth pointing out that O'Neill's success wasn't instant,his early results were pretty honking but he had enough about him that won the players and fans over and of course the rest is history.

Hard to say wether he'll take the Scotland job if offered, I think he fancies a crack at league management, a good championship side (Leeds or similar) would be my guess.

This part is definitely worth repeating.  If he came in and had the run that he had when he started with NI, I could see plenty getting pretty upset.  Could be that he was just adjusting to International football, and I'm not saying it's anywhere near certain that he would suffer from the same problems with us, but he definitely benefited from either patience, an acceptance that NI were pretty shit to start with, or a healthy dose of both.  Not sure he'd get that here.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

This part is definitely worth repeating.  If he came in and had the run that he had when he started with NI, I could see plenty getting pretty upset.  Could be that he was just adjusting to International football, and I'm not saying it's anywhere near certain that he would suffer from the same problems with us, but he definitely benefited from either patience, an acceptance that NI were pretty shit to start with, or a healthy dose of both.  Not sure he'd get that here.

Yeah, his slow start there is the one thing that gives me doubts about him. What I would say is that as terrible as Northern Ireland were for his first campaign in charge for the 2014 qualifiers, it was basically a continuation of where they were before he took over in the 2012 campaign rather than taking them backwards before taking a step forwards. He just didn't start to noticeably improve them until his second campaign.

All the indications are that the SFA will continue to bend over backwards to avoid being harsh with managers, so even if he did start slowly and make a mess of the first campaign I couldn't see him being sacked even if the press and fans did turn, barring a Levein-level disaster.

Archived