County 'n' Killie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine how good County could do if their players bothered their arses pre January!

Who knew that replacing your entire squad every summer would have a detrimental impact on the squad cohesion?

(The Adams Family apparently didn't)

2-0 County. Craig Curran.

Out of all our recent signings, surely the most surprising contribution. I for one didn't expect a lot based on his previous club and record there, but fast becoming a fan's favourite and chipping in with a very decent goal return. More of the same please.

As for the rest of today, I want Boycey to get a goal....

Kiss played at right-back and strolled through the game. Obedayi didn't really have a look in.

County were excellent and 2-1 flatters Kilmarnock. Samson made three good saves (County really should have scored) and Quinn should have buried one from a corner in the second half. There was also one cleared "off the line" but I thought it was over.

Kilmarnock's goal was from a set-piece and it looked (from the Jailend anyway) to be a really soft goal. The free-kick decision looked questionable, with Kiss being penalised for a high boot against the smallest player on the park. They hit the post beforehand and Miller put one wide but you never felt they were going to get anything from the game.

A number of contenders for MOTM but Gardyne probably deserved it. Irvine was excellent and picked out one incredible pass and one absolutely wonderful cross which Jervis should have got on to.

Paul Cairney looks in good shape :lol:

BBC text commentary ( :bairn ) certainly semmed to suggest we were very comfortable, certainly up until around 75 minutes. Their goal, again based on TexCom, did seem to be coming though. I'm not sure if reading about it online or being there at the game is the more nervous way to follow!

Got to agree with yoda and begbie and SJB on all of that. We absolutely hammered them, and god knows how it finished 2-1. Should have been 2 or 3 up before halftime, and then we hammered them again until near the end.

Standout's for us: Irvine, Boyce, Curran & De Vita. But clear MOTM in my opinion for Gardyne.

Honourable mention to Samson though who, other than dropping the ball early on, played a massive part in keeping the score down.

Edit: One minor quibble though... Jake Jervis. For the love of...

Well done to all the Killie fans who travelled you made a decent level of noise.

On that performance today I wonder how Kilmarnock have gone on such a unbeaten run?

We should have scored a lot more but 3 points is all that matters.

First time I saw signs of style and panache this season.

Kiss looked OK at right back, Irvine did well in midfield, Quinn was solid. Midge looked a constant threat. Curran scored again which is pleasing.

Shout out to Bobby Madden who was absolutely abysmal. Most spfl refs are but I thought he was particularly bad:

-Curran's shot appeared well over the line

-Jervis was shoved over in the box, two hands on his back

-Curran and Boyce were being wrestled under every high ball

And tbf we got a good few questionable fouls as well but I don't care so much about that.

Agree with all the views above, we were very good and dominant.

Samson was very good for Killie, he even passed the ball straight to De Vita then made a great save to stop him scoring. He honestly had 4 or 5 tremendous saves.

Bobby Madden was terrible though, if we dropped any points he and his West Stand Lino would have faced a fair amount of wrath. Strange fouls against County, Boyce was on side with a simple pass to Curran in the 2nd half to score, but the Lino gave him off.

Clear Pen on Jervis, two handed push to the chest.

Ball looked over the line also in the 2nd half.

Pascali dodged a red too, he was last man, but I think because it was a yard inside the half he was given the benefit.

Killie will also feel rightly they had a big call,against them for the 2nd goal. Curran and Ashcroft collided accidentally in the box which caused Ashcroft to fall and Curran tap in.

Very good team performance, I was screaming for Meite to be put on as the 3rd CB in the last 10 as Killie have some strong players upfront in the air.

On that performance today I wonder how Kilmarnock have gone on such a unbeaten run?

Without being there it's hard to comment, but we've been very lucky with teams not being able to take advantage of our two in central midfield formation in recent weeks. We had Eremenko and Slater filling in against St Mirren, and a better team would have made us live to regret that. Yesterday was O'Hara and Slater (I assume) and whilst I like both, we miss having someone else in the middle alongside them. Far too easy to overrun us in midfield, and when Obadeyi is in the kind of mood he's been in lately (i.e. not doing anything unless he's got the ball) we're exposed down the flanks too.

To answer your question, the reason we went on such a run was because Locke had instilled a fight and desire in the team that had been lacking since the summer of 2013. We might not have the best players, but they looked willing to fight for every ball and close down every opposition player. The word my mate used to describe us yesterday was 'insipid', so if we don't have that hardworking element then we're very likely to get overrun and as a result lose the match. Still not sure Locke has the tactical nous to be the permanent manager, and I had hoped that he'd manage to get something out the squad after the interval but obviously not.

Poor Killie performance yesterday, only plus point Kiltie looked impressive when he came on.

He was absolutely phenomenal for the Under 20s against Rangers in midweek, and it's surely about time he replaces Obadeyi on the wing. I get why Tope plays, as his pace provides a good outlet if things get too tight in the middle, but he's been hopeless since the Thistle game at the end of January.

Archived