The Silky Soccernauts v The Dirty Rovers

From a viewpoint one degree better than yours, I saw it clip a defender's foot and arc deceptively. I think that's three games in a row we've opened the scoring with a deflected shot: at last we're getting a wee rub of the green!

Difference is your guy had a go. The team that wanted it, won. Enjoy your flag day.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been joking all season that Queen's didn't stand a chance of winning the league- but even after falling behind they fought to keep their chances alive. This was their time to step up to the challenge, and Darren Young's Rovers played them brilliantly.

It was as comfortable for us in possession of the ball as it was out of possession: 90% of QP's spells on the ball ended up out wide, and they didn't get a sniff from any of their balls in, thanks to MOTM, and division POTY candidate, Ross Dunlop winning virtually everything in the air. It says a lot that Queen's best chance of a goal was a header Ross won!

The poorer Rovers performers were Ally Love, a 4th tier lightweight, and Mark McGuigan who runs himself tireless but, I reiterate, is wasted as a centre forward. It doesn't really matter when the defence is so solid and goals are coming from all over, but I'm fearful we won't get away with it where we're going...

It's too early to play Nostradamus, though: football fans are supposed to live in the moment, I'll save the grouching for the difficult season ahead. The only question left for this season is how many guards of honour there will be.

Star man for me was Ross Dunlop. He's always had the aerial ability, but he's now improving his distribution with many moves starting from him.

Completely agree with this. I was suggesting to Bold and Albino that he could pay full-time football, but he's maybe just a few years too told for someone to take him on.

Much like Wednesday night, I thought the scoreline reflected the game. Like Arbroath, QP passed the ball around neatly enough at times but never looked a real threat. It would be a disaster not to go on and win the league now, but still need to get over the finish line.

Completely agree with this. I was suggesting to Bold and Albino that he could pay full-time football, but he's maybe just a few years too told for someone to take him on.

Hibs are apparently interested having been initially looking at Kyle Turnbull. With decent 'real-life' qualifications behind him, the gamble of going full-time might not really be all that much of a gamble for him

I hope Ross chooses to stay with us for a season in League 1. Which brings me on to: signing targets for next season? A wish list, please Rovers fans. I'll start with David Greenhill of Shire.

Greenhill is a given, but I also like Queens Park's goalkeeper. Smaller than ours, but far more commanding.

I hope Ross chooses to stay with us for a season in League 1. Which brings me on to: signing targets for next season? A wish list, please Rovers fans. I'll start with David Greenhill of Shire.

Original suggestion. :whistle

My shopping shortlist would include:

Greenhill (Shire)

Ewan Moyes (Montrose)

David Marsh (Clyde)

Andy Russell (Berwick)

Scott McBride (Arbroath)

Barry Russell (Stranraer)

Derek Carcary (Annan)

Darren Smith (Stirling)

Martin Grehan (Stenny)

Andy Rodgers (Peterheid benchwarmer)

Better side won. There's little doubt in my mind that Rovers will now go on and win the league. It's a seven point gap, but it's probably the equivalent of even more because we're not going to win every game. They looked like a team that believed they could win yesterday, we didn't. QPSA's rant is absolutely laughable, incidentally. We've had a fantastic season considering that Gus put together a team of juniors and players from the worst Queen's squad in living memory. If someone had told me that we were going to be in the playoffs at the start of the season, I'd have commenced building a statue of the man outside Hampden.

Now that i know who you are I've no doubt you'll spend your life being quite happy to be second best. You're posts are always emotional. This tripe about a god flying down from the heavens is laughable. Here's a few facts and observations, emotion free of course, for you to ponder over.

1. McPherson had six months last year to find a new squad, something of a luxury in the modern game.
  2. He's employed on a contract, not some voluntary hero-type
  3. He played over 400 games in the SPL
  4. Nearly 300 games as a manager with St Mirren including five seasons in the SPL
  5. His reputation was built around saving St Mirren from defeat
  6. His one other managerial season was at QoS which ended up with demotion
  7. With the exception of his opponent yesterday he's the most experienced manager in this league

Given all of this, if his only objective agreed with the Committee was to come 9th then we're in a sorry state as a club, never mind the team. I could take defeat no problem yesterday if we were played off the park and had every player playing to their very best. From the first whistle AR were at us all over the place and some of our guys were just wandering around like it was a trial game. It was our day to try and win the flag and we were clueless. If an experienced coach can't get his players fully motivated for a game like this then there's a problem in the dressing room, no doubt about it. He's got six games to reshape things and get all his men behind him. If he can't achieve that I fear that his play-off progress will be as limited as Spiers' was.

Football is all about winners and losers, son.

I had been joking all season that Queen's didn't stand a chance of winning the league- but even after falling behind they fought to keep their chances alive. This was their time to step up to the challenge, and Darren Young's Rovers played them brilliantly.

It was as comfortable for us in possession of the ball as it was out of possession: 90% of QP's spells on the ball ended up out wide, and they didn't get a sniff from any of their balls in, thanks to MOTM, and division POTY candidate, Ross Dunlop winning virtually everything in the air. It says a lot that Queen's best chance of a goal was a header Ross won!

The poorer Rovers performers were Ally Love, a 4th tier lightweight, and Mark McGuigan who runs himself tireless but, I reiterate, is wasted as a centre forward. It doesn't really matter when the defence is so solid and goals are coming from all over, but I'm fearful we won't get away with it where we're going...

It's too early to play Nostradamus, though: football fans are supposed to live in the moment, I'll save the grouching for the difficult season ahead. The only question left for this season is how many guards of honour there will be.

Sorry but totally disagree with this post.Especially defence being so solid and Big Mark being wasted at centre forward. Mark ran himself into the ground midweek at Arbroath and also yesterday at Hampdump and kept both defences totally on their toes on both occasions. I think he`s a great asset to our team and we should enjoy him while he`s here. As for our solid defence, we have been riding our luck in the past few games defensively and Josh Mullin and Kyle Turnbull have been found out when they are faced with direct opponents. Going forward they are okay. When put on the back foot it`s a different story. Would also like to point out that Darren deserves a big pat on the back for helping to turn things around.He came back into the team and we have had 5 straight wins. Speaks for itself . Think our managerial partnership will be the talk of some Boardrooms as well very soon.Let`s just enjoy the run in guys and keep feet on the ground.

Feel better now, cupcake?

If you're done with having a shot of Jim Murphy's glue, maybe you can reflect on the irony of slagging off Guus for criticising individual errors and then going on to eviscerate those same individuals.

Reading's not your best skill, is it love? I criticised a couple of players who have been shite over a long period of time. Gus throws a tantrum over very player when they make an error, any error. If it's like that pitchside god knows what it's like in the dressing room. Oh, and something else you missed - I'm just a fan spouting on the internet. World of difference. Assuming you have a job, imagine your gaffer coming into the workplace and going ballistic like he does.

Like Alf Stamp's Army I too have noticed his polished interview style and how it contrasts sharply with his behaviour during the match. Wonder why that is?

Now that i know who you are I've no doubt you'll spend your life being quite happy to be second best. You're posts are always emotional. This tripe about a god flying down from the heavens is laughable. Here's a few facts and observations, emotion free of course, for you to ponder over.

1. McPherson had six months last year to find a new squad, something of a luxury in the modern game.
  2. He's employed on a contract, not some voluntary hero-type
  3. He played over 400 games in the SPL
  4. Nearly 300 games as a manager with St Mirren including five seasons in the SPL
  5. His reputation was built around saving St Mirren from defeat
  6. His one other managerial season was at QoS which ended up with demotion
  7. With the exception of his opponent yesterday he's the most experienced manager in this league

Given all of this, if his only objective agreed with the Committee was to come 9th then we're in a sorry state as a club, never mind the team. I could take defeat no problem yesterday if we were played off the park and had every player playing to their very best. From the first whistle AR were at us all over the place and some of our guys were just wandering around like it was a trial game. It was our day to try and win the flag and we were clueless. If an experienced coach can't get his players fully motivated for a game like this then there's a problem in the dressing room, no doubt about it. He's got six games to reshape things and get all his men behind him. If he can't achieve that I fear that his play-off progress will be as limited as Spiers' was.

Football is all about winners and losers, son.

Personal abuse and a patronising tone. You seem calm, right enough. Heid's totally gone. Gus inherited a shambles and looks likely to take us to our joint highest finish in the Third Division since we won it in 2000. You're going to have to excuse me if I'm not utterly seething about the current situation. How delusional would you have to be to expect to go from finishing 10th to being promoted in the space of 12 months?

Original suggestion. :whistle

My shopping shortlist would include:

Greenhill (Shire)

Ewan Moyes (Montrose)

David Marsh (Clyde)

Andy Russell (Berwick)

Scott McBride (Arbroath)

Barry Russell (Stranraer)

Derek Carcary (Annan)

Darren Smith (Stirling)

Martin Grehan (Stenny)

Andy Rodgers (Peterheid benchwarmer)

Scott Ferguson (Clyde)

Reading's not your best skill, is it love? I criticised a couple of players who have been shite over a long period of time. Gus throws a tantrum over very player when they make an error, any error. If it's like that pitchside god knows what it's like in the dressing room. Oh, and something else you missed - I'm just a fan spouting on the internet. World of difference. Assuming you have a job, imagine your gaffer coming into the workplace and going ballistic like he does.

Condescending zoomer much?

Thanks for acknowledging you're just a fan spouting on t'internet, up until now every one of your posts had me thinking you were a football tactics Jedi, so it's good to clarify.

As for my imaginary manager in my imaginary job, they would probably have a different imaginary management style from someone running a football team but as long as they get imaginary results, what's your fucking point?

Archived