The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

We aren't having any friendlies. Couple of youth team games against non league teams and a testimonial at Auchinleck but no official friendlies unfortunately. Apparently because of the new league cup structure we are starting with that

ONE TEAM IN AYRSHIRE

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

No friendlies played yet. Higginbotham and Balatoni are still at the club technically, but they've been told to find new clubs, so we must assume they'll be away before the league games start.

Why do you think they'll be gone?

They're gash, and no-one will take them.

They are at the correct level for their talents.

13 minutes ago, bad chad said:

Why do you think they'll be gone?

They're gash, and no-one will take them.

They are at the correct level for their talents.

If they are gash and no-one will take them then surely they should be playing at a lower level.

Usually when a club tells a player they are free to go then they will go.

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Have Killie played any friendlies yet, and are there hints of what the manager might think his first XI is?  It's probably too early to tell yet, but  I'm interested to see what experience will be in the team.

I'm guessing the following will probably be first picks at the start of the season:

• Jamie MacDonald
  • Miles Addison
  • Conrad Balatoni
  • Steven Smith
  • Gary Dicker
  • Kallum Higginbotham
  • Josh Magennis

And out of those, I'm guessing MacDonald, Addison, Dicker and Magennis are the guaranteed starters.

When listing it out there is more experience in the squad than I initially wondered, but it still seems to me to be a huge gamble to bring in so many inexperienced players.  Ross County did it slightly differently two years ago, but there were between four to six players who regularly started at the beginning of that season who had no experience of Scottish football, and boy did it show.  They might turn out to be really good signings, but I can't help but think the younger players are going to take a while to get to speed with the game,.  I'm not sure this season's Premiership will afford much time to settle before falling behind the pack.  Unless Hamilton and another are complete guff.

I'm probably reading far too much into our 4-0 Falkirk victory but I would expect the season to start with Magennis and Boyd upfront, either as a pairing or with someone else thrown out wide opposite Magennis and Boyd through the middle.  Regardless of the front line I think we need to put Kiltie in the hole behind the strikers, preferable with Dicker and someone else sitting in their too.

We could be 5th, 10th or 12th.

8 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Would be a tremendous signing. Won't happen IMO

The deal would have been done already had the lad not picked up a knock playing for England U19s a fortnight ago.... it's not as bad as first feared so Newcastle are happy  to loan him to us as they won't loan him out to a club in the Championship.

4 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

If they are gash and no-one will take them then surely they should be playing at a lower level.

Usually when a club tells a player they are free to go then they will go.

They'll go if they're paid off, not just because they're asked

55 minutes ago, bad chad said:

They'll go if they're paid off, not just because they're asked

Of course not.  But usually if a club says you are free to go then you will go.

Not sure what part of that you are struggling with.

2 hours ago, Killiesquirrel said:

Playing Morpeth Town tomorrow, assume it'll be a mix of the new players and the youth players. 

It's strictly a closed doors game, the club informed Morpeth that any travelling fans will be refused entry 

9 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

It's strictly a closed doors game, the club informed Morpeth that any travelling fans will be refused entry 

Aye I'm pretty gutted about this.  Was hoping to take the wee man but apparently both managers requested it be closed doors.  A few Morpeth fans had booked hotel rooms as well.

9 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Of course not.  But usually if a club says you are free to go then you will go.

Not sure what part of that you are struggling with.

The fact that many players stick with clubs that don't want them if they can't get a good enough payoff, and see their contracts out?

I don't understand what YOU are struggling with

The fact that many players stick with clubs that don't want them if they can't get a good enough payoff, and see their contracts out?

I don't understand what YOU are struggling with

Would you say that more leave than stay after being told they are free to go?

2 hours ago, Nadroj said:

We beat Morpeth 4-2 in a friendly today. Goals from Martin Smith, Gary Dicker, Souleymane Coulibaly (a belter apparently) and Johnny Burn.

Coulibaly's strike was indeed a worldy, if it was a player at the euros they would be talking about it for days.