Who is your favourite figure from political history?

FuzzyAffro

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favourite obviously isn't the appropriate word but there was a BBC documentary about Gaddafi recently at it was absolutely gripping. Would highly recommend giving it a watch. Utterly hilarious and genuinely disturbing at different points.

I find total egomaniacs like him and Ceauscescu fascinating.

Nothing coming to mind in terms of peope I'm both interested in and really admire. Usually the poeple I think I'd like turn out to be deeply flawed or questionable and a lot of the supposed greats of British political history like Churchill seem like complete dicks to me.

Favourite obviously isn't the appropriate word but there was a BBC documentary about Gaddafi recently at it was absolutely gripping. Would highly recommend giving it a watch. Utterly hilarious and genuinely disturbing at different points.

Nothing coming to mind in terms of peope I'm both interested in and really admire. Usually the poeple I think I'd like turn out to be deeply flawed or questionable and a lot of the supposed greats of British political history like Churchill seem like complete dicks to me.

Good post. Will look out that documentary.

Churchill was a traitor.

Churchill was a traitor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03tj0n0/storyville-20132014-17-mad-dog-gaddafis-secret-world

Oh for real?! What makes you sasfd[fjdefjerfjer[w

Dinny care.

While it's extreme to call him "a traitor". He's nothing like the great man the establishment try to desperately peddle. He was a mix between Margaret Thatcher and John McCain. In that he was hated by the average working man. After all, the Welsh celebrated his death like we celebrated Thatcher's. He was rude and obnoxious and was most definitely a war monger. He is quoted saying Germany was becoming too economically powerful and thus must be stopped. Many years before the outbreak of WW2. Countenance to popular belief, Hitler had no intention of invading Britain and tried to make peace terms on the basis that the countries were broadly similar. However, Churchill was having none of it and scuppered any attempts to negotiate. Although I suspect you and others may try to dismiss this version of history. All I'll say is look it up for yourself. It's out there.

While it's extreme to call him "a traitor". He's nothing like the great man the establishment try to desperately peddle. He was a mix between Margaret Thatcher and John McCain. In that he was hated by the average working man. After all, the Welsh celebrated his death like we celebrated Thatcher's. He was rude and obnoxious and was most definitely a war monger. He is quoted saying Germany was becoming too economically powerful and thus must be stopped. Many years before the outbreak of WW2. Countenance to popular belief, Hitler had no intention of invading Britain and tried to make peace terms on the basis that the countries were broadly similar. However, Churchill was having none of it and scuppered any attempts to negotiate. Although I suspect you and others may try to dismiss this version of history. All I'll say is look it up for yourself. It's out there.

Read my post properly.

a lot of the supposed greats of British political history like Churchill seem like complete dicks to me

His hyper-rightwing and at times blatantly racist views make him a tadger my eyes. I've no idea how you've managed to read me as approving of Churchill.

I'm not interested in wee Donnie's traitor description because it will almost certainly be some barmy shite about the European Community.

Read my post properly.

His hyper-rightwing and at times blatantly racist views make him a tadger my eyes. I've no idea how you've managed to read me as approving of Churchill.

I'm not interested in wee Donnie's traitor description because it will almost certainly be some barmy shite about the European Community.

Churchill's racist views back then were typical of the times across most of the Western world. Something that should be put into perspective. Nowadays politicians don't care about race, religion or gender. However, they do try and make it matter to us in order to divide us.

"Favourite" in terms of someone I find interesting would probably be some nutter like Caligula. In terms of someone I respect, maybe Alan Turing, although it's a bit of an obvious choice with them just having done a film of him. Or Karl Marx, Attlee. Shocked nobody has said Wallace or RtB yet!

Archived