Paul McGowan going to Jail

This was aggravated assault I presume which carries a maximum of 6 months in the bin and or a possible 5k to 10k fine?. If he has previous for the same thing he will be spending time at HMP, but for how long I don't know.

Having pled guilty to the two, it's common for pleading to lead to a lesser sentence as its seen to encourage people to plead guilty. That said, it'a entirely at the discretion of the court to do so, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the book chucked at him. His solicitor has likely talked with the club and came to an arrangement whereby if the sentencing is reduced he won't get punted, and this'll be brought up at sentencing.

or made to move from their home town to Dundee as has been suggested . are there no Dundee citizens who have assault convictions against the the constabulary ?

People are suggesting this as a way to help rehabilitate him. Upon release he's a certainty to get put on an ART (Aggression Replacement Training) course (again?). All the club can do is offer to cover any expenses incurred in moving, and IMO it'd be the right thing for us to do as he is a quality player.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3rd assault on a copper. He should be getting the jail but in this country he'll no doubt get some community service and a slap on the wrists

Talking from experience?. :lol:

Paul was a good player for us, except in his final year when he was in trouble with the law. Understood why we didn't offer him a new deal, but sad to see he hasn't avoided more trouble.

I don't see him avoiding the clink this time. He was lucky last time out.

When Paul did this when with St. Mirren I think he deserved a spell in jail, as this wasn't the first time he had assaulted a police officer.

I think Paul is a good player and if he could've stayed on the straight and narrow, he could've achieved a wee bit more. Would be a terrible decision not to jail someone for his 3rd offence assaulting the police.

Maximum sentence for this is a year. Given his plea at the pre-trial stage he'll be entitled to a 25% reduction in that, so the very most he will get is 9 months.. The question is whether or not his previous community payback order is breached and brought back to court. He could, theoretically, be sentenced for that one all over again and get another consecutive sentence on top of the sentence for the new one. That's probably unlikely, however and I haven't heard any suggestion of that happening.

I'd be pretty surprised if he avoided the jail for this though, particularly given it is his third offence and he was on a CPO at the time.

Maximum sentence for this is a year. Given his plea at the pre-trial stage he'll be entitled to a 25% reduction in that, so the very most he will get is 9 months.. The question is whether or not his previous community payback order is breached and brought back to court. He could, theoretically, be sentenced for that one all over again and get another consecutive sentence on top of the sentence for the new one. That's probably unlikely, however and I haven't heard any suggestion of that happening.

I'd be pretty surprised if he avoided the jail for this though, particularly given it is his third offence and he was on a CPO at the time.

While your summary is right (using correct % etc), it's at the courts discretion, and especially in cases like this you'll sometimes see the guidelines of Third/Quarter/Tenth ignored.

You've also got to look at it being a Determinate Sentence, so if he gets the 9 months, he'll be out in 4.5 months to serve the rest in the community. If it's an Indeterminate then he'll be gone until the new year.

I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least a short stint in jail. Third offence and he's clearly not learned from his actions. This is no way for a father to act IMO. It's a shame as he's a good footballer, just a bit of a ned at times.

While your summary is right (using correct % etc), it's at the courts discretion, and especially in cases like this you'll sometimes see the guidelines of Third/Quarter/Tenth ignored.

You've also got to look at it being a Determinate Sentence, so if he gets the 9 months, he'll be out in 4.5 months to serve the rest in the community. If it's an Indeterminate then he'll be gone until the new year.

You dont get indeterminate sentences in the Sheriff Court. It isn't even terminology that's used in Scottish courts at all.

I think he deserves the jail. I dont think we should release him for it.

I also have little faith in the justice system in this country to do the right thing so won't be even slightly surprised if he avoids a custodial sentence.

For those saying no other jobs get second chances-

My pal was charged with serious assault (carried out whilst pished) and told his employer.

His employer (decent sized oil and gas support service) accepted he had made a mistake and supported him through the process. He got off with it completely thanks to the victims trying to rip the c**t out of their story (probably seeking more compo) combined with some other factors.

He is in no doubt he'd have kept his job had he got a custodial sentence - which was very likely as he had a previous assault charge.

His company recognised his performance and conduct at work was exemplary and were unwilling to lose him as they had spent a fair portion of cash developing him and he would have walked into a competitors firm with ease on his release.

Arabs looking for the moral high ground with their long and recent history of infamy in their own club probably need to take a look at themselves before throwing stones. They have backed their players through much worse situations.

ETA- the obviously trolling DABs I don't mind but there are 1 or 2 who are genuinely incensed by this situation. Wonder what their thoughts would be if he was a utd player ?

Archived