• Created
  • Last Reply

No: 13

Filippo Inzaghi

Position: Forward

Clubs: Juventus / AC Milan

Champions League Appearances / Goals: 81 / 46

Inzaghi-Atene-2007.jpg

Filippo Inzaghi is considered to be one of the most prolific Italian strikers in the modern game and is currently rated as the 7th all time top scorer in the Champions League with 46 goals. (17 with Juventus and 29 with AC Milan).

Born in 1973, Inzaghi joined his hometown club Piacenza but only made 2 appearances for them. After a couple of loan spells, and a brief season at Parma, he made a name for himself at Bergamo side, Atalanta. After an impressive 24 goals from 33 appearances, he transferred to Juventus for approx £8m.

It was with Juventus side that boasted Del Piero and Zidane, that Inzaghi made his Champions League debut, and became the first player to score two hat tricks in the Champions League in the season. Inzaghi would late on score another hat trick in a Milan shirt, making him one of only four players to score three or more hat tricks in the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XXSRidRwO4

In 1997/98 season, Inzaghi was a runner up in the Champions League as Juventus lost to Real Madrid in the final.

Four seasons later, Inzaghi signed for AC Milan. This was a successful spell and he won the Champions League with the Rossoneri twice in 2002/03 & 2006/07.

Inzaghi was a player that many loved to hate. He was accused of diving and poaching regularly with Sir Alex Ferguson claiming, 'That lad must have been born offside.' There was no disputing his prolific goal scoring though; he scored in every competition he played in. He was cunning and his positional sense allowed him more opportunities to score.

'If you pass him the right ball, he will score.' David Beckham.

'The only player I fear.' Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho in the build up to a match against Milan.

Roberto Carlos, who faced Inzaghi regularly during his Inter Milan days, said of the forward: “He is the man who sorts everything out – even though it’s difficult to lay your finger on what it is exactly that he’s got! Whenever Milan are in trouble, he seems to get them out of it.”

As the top 20 begins to narrow down, some may question whether Del Piero should be higher up or not. However one thing can't be denied - Fillippo Inzaghi scored goals in abundance and won trophies.

inzaghi_uefa_supercup.jpg

My favourite striker of all-time. He was my idol as a kid. :thumsup2

Very much this. Makes being one of the top players in the world look easy. Absolutely class player.

Don't think I've heard of anyone not liking Pirlo.

I agree with this, astonishing enough folk voted for him to get him into the top 20.

There's no doubting his class, but he's not top 20 material.

He IS a brilliant player. But have there been another 20 better? I think that's what people are saying. Absolutely nobody is saying that he isn't a brilliant player. But with the sheer class that has went into the CL, he might not fit into a top 20. Well, clearly he does, and this forum thinks he does, so those people will just have to take a run and jump.

No 11

Andres' Iniesta

Position: Midfield

Club: Barcelona

Champions League Appearances:102

Andres-Iniesta-001.jpg

In 1996, a 12 year old Andres' Iniesta was playing for his hometown side's junior team, Albacate and was spotted by Barcelona's scouts. He was signed up for the B Team and quickly progressed through to the first team making his debut 2002. To date, he has won 6 La Liga's, 2 Copa Del Rey's and Three Champions League Trophies. This winning mentality is summed up by Iniesta:

'If there is one thing that all players have in common it is that winning, competitive gene; the ability to overcome obstacles and fight for what you want from your career.'

With 102 appearances in the Champions League, Iniesta is 23rd in the list of all time appearances int he competition and at the age of 30, this will no doubt continue upwards. A winner of the trophy three times, his first final was against Arsenal in 2005/06 which Barcelona won 2-1 and he was used as a second half substitute. Another CL winners medal was won in 2008/09 season against English opposition. This time Man Utd, when Barca won 2-0 in Rome. A third trophy was won in 2010/11 with another victory over Man Utd.

Not the most prolific players, he is capable of of scoring the odd screamer. The Barcalone webste describes Iniesta well here:

'The Barça number eight is getting better with every year. Always learning, his shooting has come on in leaps and bounds, and he can use either foot, as he showed us so dramatically with his last-gasp winner at Stamford Bridge.'

Fun Fact: Although he is a world cup winner with Spain, Iniesta has also played an 'international' with Catelonia.

Well done Andres - you made the top 20.

andr%C3%A9s-iniesta-o.gif

No: 10

Xavi Hernandez

Club: Barcelona

Position: Midfielder

Champions League Appearances: 146

xavi_hernandez_1348830955_640x640.jpg

One of Barcelona's legends. Xavi Hernandez was born in 1980 and joined Barcelona aged 11, and after progressing through the youth set up made his first team debut against Mallorca in 1998, and scoring in the process. He has has an illustrious career with the Catalan side, winning seven league titles, two Copa Del Rey's and three Champions League trophies. Having made 146 appearances in the Champions League, he is the second highest all time appearances in the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xavi

Johan Cruyff said, "There are spectacular players like Messi. But if you see a guy like Xavi, who controls the ball and manages the pace of the game, he is also a great player, but totally different from Messi."

Xavi is probably best know for his amazing control of the ball and his ability to keep possession. He has the creativity for the pass and is incredibly accurate.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/training-guides/pass-with-xavis-precision-drill-four

delbosqu-1406201547.png

Well done Xavi: you made the top 10. You edged out Andres Iniesta but I think that's fair.

tumblr_mxfwjzntbA1t3vmubo1_400.gif

No: 9

Thierry Henry

Position: Forward

Clubs: Monaco, Arsenal & Barcelona

Champions League Appearances / Goals: 112 / 50

Manchester+United+v+Barcelona+UEFA+Champ

Known best for his performances with Arsenal, Thierry Henry earned himself legendary status by becoming their all time leading scorer with 228 goals in 376 appearances. Its's worth noting he had 93 assists as well. Needless to say, there is a statue of him outside The Emirates.

He started off at Monaco in 1990 at the age of 13, and soon made his debut four years later and soon established himself as an effective winger in the five seasons there. With Monaco, he won Ligue 1 in 1996/97 season. He made 9 appearances with Monaco in the Champions League in total, scoring 7 goals.

He was soon transferred to Juventus in 1999, but failed to make an impact, and was signed by Arsenal the same year. Everyone man and his dog knows how that went - he turned into one of the most prolific strikers int he world under Wenger. Although he made 77 appearances and scored 35 goals in the competition, he never won the Champions League with the Gunners.

With Arsenal, he won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups.

An unexpected transfer to Barcelona in June 2007 sparked a winning run of two La Liga titles, Copa Del Rey and the Champions League in 2008/09 season, beating his old Arsenal rivals Man Utd in Rome.

troll_football_image_7ce307196690e01fab7

An expert finisher, he offered this advice on Four Four Two

“Know what you’re going to do. I like to open up and use my sidefoot to bang the ball into the bottom corner – no matter who I’m playing against, no matter what the situation is, that’s how I’m going to try to finish. This gives me confidence because I know what I’m going to do before I arrive in front of the goalkeeper. Obviously I can’t use this finish every time, but it helps to have it in my locker because I don’t have to think about it.”

Fun Fact: He is a keen Basketball fans and friends with Tony Parker.

Well done Tel, you made the Top 10.

kIohV.gif

No: 8

Paulo Maldini

Position: Defender

Clubs: AC Milan

Champions League Appearances: 109

maldini.jpg

Paulo Maldini is a one man club and arguably one of the greatest left backs that has ever graced the game. He joined the Rossoneri in 1985 and made 109 appearances in the Champions League. He won the trophy 3 times (and twice in the European Cup format previously) along with 7 league titles, and one Coppa Italia. He also won the European Supercup 5 times.

Part of the legendary back four with Tassotti, Costacurta and Baresi, which was regarded as the greatest defence in the modern game. Maldini was an unusual left back however; he was right footed. he could read the game exceptionally well and anticipated the play without needing to make a reckless challenge. So much so, he only received one red card in his 24 year career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sqyEtzz3A

paolo-maldini-4.jpg

Maldini retired in 2009 and as tribute, Milan retired the no 3 shirt.

Fun fact: Maldini turned the chance to join Chelsea as a coach in 2009.

Archived