Alloa VS Livi

Coming away from the game today felt exactly the same as coming away from the first Rangers game this season. Avoiding defeat was acceptable beforehand, but given the way the game went and losing a late equaliser really felt like two points dropped (again!) and was highly frustrating.

I don't know what was going through McDowall's head towards the end in giving away that corner. That brought a sustained period of pressure on us, just as news of Rangers going ahead against Cowdenbeath came through, and Livingston eventually got their equaliser from it. Would've been interesting to be a fly on the dressing room wall after that. Had we held on we'd have been 9 points from bottom spot and essentially 4 points ahead of 9th. I feel that Waspie is right and throwing away those points from a winning position today may prove costly in the end.

As someone said above, the Livingston support was good and they created a decent atmosphere today. Also agree that they deserve a better 'product' to follow. It does appear from the outside looking in that they're just filling their team with tall cloggers and relying on high balls into the box to fall kindly for them to get some goals. They had the best of the first half today and seemed well up for it and going in goal-less at half time was better for us than it was for them. In the second half they only really started playing with a bit of enthusiasm once they'd gone behind, twice. I think Livingston would've folded if Gallagher's knee had deflected the ball in rather than onto the bar and out, it came less than a minute after we scored our first and they already looked a bit deflated at that, really think that would've killed them off. That close shave actually seemed to spur them on though and they got their first equaliser not too long afterwards. Those are the breaks which just don't seem to be falling for us this season.

Chopra continues to impress game by game and Buchanan's recent goal-scoring form continues which bodes well for us. Holmes was frustrating today, did the simple things well and was good at creating space for himself as he usually is, but time and time again over the last few games (including today) he has been trying to thread the needle and play the perfect pass which has been costing us possession regularly recently.

Losing Marr last week was a big blow but I felt Benedictus had a good game today.

Sekajja has some pace and skill, but he was cheating constantly today, and he knew it. Winking and smiling to the Alloa support after getting up from 'being fouled' hardly endeared him to us and having won about four free-kicks for nothing, he got little sympathy once he actually did get fouled and eventually had to go off. Thankfully Doyle was keeping pace with him because Ben could've been off otherwise. I think Ben knew that too, he was almost scared to turn round and see what colour of card the referee was holding.

Didn't think the ref was great today, but he was pretty bad for both teams and probably evened itself out. I remember once in the second half when two Livi players tripped each other near the centre circle and Cawley (or maybe Meggatt) came away with the ball and he gave them a foul, just laughable. He's supposedly one of our best too!

With Dumbarton statistically now safe (realistically been safe for weeks despite what their fans have been saying) then perhaps they'll begin trying out fringe players more often if any of their regulars have even the slightest niggle, which is fair enough. They've had another decent league season. They have both Cowden and Alloa soon so we'll find out soon enough I guess.

Before the 11th April when Alloa play Dumbarton and Cowden play Livi, Cowden have three games against Falkirk, Dumbarton and Raith whilst our only league game in that time is at Tynecastle. We'll be lucky to still be in 8th position when the 11th comes around. Once again, those dropped points today could prove costly to us. A last game showdown with Cowden, once again, looks very likely and it might even be the case that all three bottom positions in the league could be up for grabs that day.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDowall is a terrible keeper.

Chesting it out for a corner you could see from the other end of the park then trying to claim a goal kick!

Never came for a single ball.

Absolute bombscare.

With Dumbarton statistically now safe (realistically been safe for weeks despite what their fans have been saying) then perhaps they'll begin trying out fringe players more often if any of their regulars have even the slightest niggle, which is fair enough. They've had another decent league season. They have both Cowden and Alloa soon so we'll find out soon enough I guess.

I can't see us playing fringe players until we're absolutely assured that we won't be in the play-off position. And I wouldn't put it past our manager to set us a new target of attempting to catch up with Raith.

I've been more confident this last few weeks that we are safe, particularly since the Alloa home game, and especially after yesterday's fine result. But I won't be completely confident until the mathematics make it so.

Chesting it out for a corner you could see from the other end of the park then trying to claim a goal kick!

Absolute bombscare.

Eh, no. He's been good for us all season, just made a few mystifying decisions yesterday. That chesting out thing was bizarre, especially considering the ball clearly came from a Livi player in the first place, and he deserved his yellow for obstructing Livi from taking the corner immediately afterwards.

He could do with more of a presence in the area, but he's still young for a keeper; hopefully he'll work on that in training and improve. Could be very decent.

To be honest, I hope it does come down to the last day. Obviously I would like us to stay up, and 8th would be my preferred position, but the atmosphere and nerves would make it a great day to remember.

I`d like us both to stay up. I don`t mind an away game at Cowden` but I`d rather see you win the playoffs than us. :P

Our home record against the teams in the bottom half hasn't been great, which is what worries me about that last game. The thought of us needing to win is a bit nauseating :(

We have a squad that has raised its game against the big 3 this season, but consistantly failed to against the others in the bottom half. Too many have been in a comfort zone knowing that almost all the players Smith brought in were nowhere near good enough to challenge them.

As far as keepers go, McDowell has been dodgy all season. He doesn't come out for crosses, his positioning at free kicks is poor, he has a habit of palming shots back towards the attacker and its very evident the back 4 have no faith in him or Gibson.

Mixed feeling about yesterday, started off brightly working the ball into the box from the wings and looked the better team first half, won a lot of balls in midfield too which broke up Alloa's play not allowing them to pass the ball about. The usual though in not scoring when we're on top and Alloa come out the 2nd half and have a spell where they ripped us down the wing and scored a goal. Thought it was all over after that as we look defeated after we lose a goal and almost conceded a 2nd with Sives putting it onto the bar. Then we get a goal to level it and got my hopes up again, only to be dashed with another goal where Alloa walked through us.

Again thought we'd had it so getting the equaliser was a surprise, but we really needed the 3 points so even though it was a good point coming back twice from a goal down I don't think it will be enough. Still I thought the same last week against Dumbarton, must win game, and now looking at it if we'd managed a draw there we'd have caught up 2 points on Cowden and another draw would get us to within a win when we play them to get off the bottom spot. Anyhoo getting to the point, another 2 draws and a win is still doable, as long as Cowden keep losing. #graspingatstraws

As far as keepers go, McDowell has been dodgy all season. He doesn't come out for crosses, his positioning at free kicks is poor, he has a habit of palming shots back towards the attacker and its very evident the back 4 have no faith in him or Gibson.

Aye, forgot about the free-kicks. Once again, something you'd hope he'd improve with time. I get the impression that everyone knows his decision-making at crosses isn't the best, so he hangs back unless he's certain he'll make it and the defence know to cover. Again, will hopefully improve.

Absolute bombscare.

No no no!

We have a squad that has raised its game against the big 3 this season, but consistantly failed to against the others in the bottom half. Too many have been in a comfort zone knowing that almost all the players Smith brought in were nowhere near good enough to challenge them.

Whilst its pretty evident that McDowall isn't great from free kicks or corners you need to remember the guy has been second choice to bain for years. McDowall has been great this year (not quite Bain but that's understandable) and would be one of the first players I'd have in my office trying to tie up a contract for next season.

His decision making isn't great and he doesn't command his box well but the only way these will get better is by experience. His shot stopping however is second to none he's like a brick wall at the back sometimes.

I said something along the lines of "McDowall has been great all season, the thing is however that his few mistakes have been crucial" on Saturday to one of the guys I was with. ( probably sounded less posh and had a few swear words in the quote tbf)

Just saw the highlights same problem all season can't defend a set play or throw in properly 2 well taken goals by Buchanan and his hard work is let down by us defending like that, We either can't score or if we do score our defence turns to jelly need some improvements from the boys at the back now that Liam is hitting a wee scoring run.

McDowall has been great this year (not quite Bain but that's understandable) and would be one of the first players I'd have in my office trying to tie up a contract for next season.

We'll agree to disagree on this point I think. A good keeper will save you a few points during a season (or loads in Bain's case), however I can't think of any games I've witnessed this season (albeit I've missed most of the away games) where he has done anything other than the minimum required as a keeper, and a number of mistakes that have almost caused a loss of a goal, or in consecutive games against Hibs at home, the loss of the winning goal. He's not a bad keeper, just clearly playing at a level above his ability. If we stay up then it's the first position I'd be expecting us to strengthen.

We'll agree to disagree on this point I think. A good keeper will save you a few points during a season (or loads in Bain's case), however I can't think of any games I've witnessed this season (albeit I've missed most of the away games) where he has done anything other than the minimum required as a keeper, and a number of mistakes that have almost caused a loss of a goal, or in consecutive games against Hibs at home, the loss of the winning goal. He's not a bad keeper, just clearly playing at a level above his ability. If we stay up then it's the first position I'd be expecting us to strengthen.

I agree that I hope we look to strengthen at the back it's a shame the Gibson deal didn't work out but McDowall has done ok since coming in nothing outstanding but he has pulled off some good saves.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived