The Witcher 3

spud131

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Once you get onto Blood and Wine there is a big Gwent quest where you can bet up to 50 coins on each hand. You have to collect 19 new cards to win the quest.

Cheers.  I'm only at the end of the main game (but completed all available Gwent quests and achievements up to that point), so hadn't realised this.  

Even so, 19 games at 50 coins winnings only results in maximum potential winnings of 950 coins (reducing by 50 coins for every match you lose).  

Gwent is a pain in the tits at first, but once you suss it, it becomes like crack. You're in the middle of an important storyline and you see the little gwent option you're like 'yasss, gimme ur fucking cards peasant'

I was raging because I got a Gwent quest and the guy from it turned up in another quest, but it didn't give me the Gwent option until after I completed his quest. Quit holding out on me.

There's  another high stakes gwent tournament in B&W, but you have to play with the new faction once you've collected enough cards. Much tougher than winning with nilfgaard or Northern realms. Think the reward is "just" a special sword though there might also be an achievement / trophy for winning. 

Edited by Fuctifano

It's been ages since I played but I think most of the good cards don't appear til you start playing in Velen. 

The blacksmiths etc just give a random card from a certain population that you don't have, but only the first time you beat them so you can't just beat the same guy 50 times. 

All else fails, you can turn the gwent difficulty down in options menu... came close to doing it during the main story high stakes tournament when that woman kept destroying me with a million spy cards. 

47 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I just bought as many cards as I could bit still was never good enough to beat anyone. If I start again should I really try in White Orchard?

I'd say so.   There's no missable cards in White Orchard so even if the players die you can still pick up their cards, but you might as well play them.  

They are all beatable: you just need to get the luck of the draw and avoid beginner mistakes.  If you lose, just play them again, hope they get a worse draw/you a better one and don't make the same mistakes again.

Yeah stick at it. Try get the leader card with the clear weather ability which comes in useful early doors. Keep your unit cards at minimum, every time you get a better card, remove a weaker one, don't have too many special effect cards, decoy, scorch and commanders horn are the best ones. The AI is pretty easy to sus out after a while. Sometimes it a a good idea to throw a round, especially against people who have a lot of muster cards.

Stick at it tho, it's quality and addictive.

You go through a hell of a lot in that quest.  Brave in the way they wrote it, and you switched your feelings on the Baron himself throughout.  Sympathy, to disgust, then all the way back to sympathy again by the end.  Second best quest line behind the Hearts of Stone main quest line, which is an absolute masterpiece.

The song Priscilla sings about Geralt and Yennefer popped up on my Spotify on the way to work this morning.  I've not played the game in a while and it took me right back.  The Witcher 3 really is a masterpiece of gaming.

BTW, it's called The Wolven Storm (Priscilla's Song) and is by Sharm, in case you want to go and give the song a listen again.

Started it up again. It is good fun, but I'm currently on the quest with Keira Metz, which causing me a bit of grief. I've barely got any health left, no potions, and I've to fight this big Golem thing. She's also entirely useless, as despite constantly attacking enemies, she inflicts absolutely no damage to them!

My only play through so far I pumped as many as I could and thought I was in for that threesome with Yen and Trish. How wrong I was

:thumbsdown

Hard to choose between Yen and Triss though, I mean FFS! If push came to blurt, I'd side for Triss but tomorrow it's highly possible I'd say Yen.