El Lanarko part 5 24/4/15 New Douglas Park

Reckon you'll go down in the play offs?

If it’s Sevco YES 100%, historically we shit it at any mention of Ibrox, Rangers, Sevco, Tribute Act, Light Blues or Jock Wallace. Sevco are a bomb scare of a team, however, they are a bomb scare who would beat us with just the power of their mind. I would rather be relegated directly than have to face any incarnation of the Ibrox Loyal.

If it’s Hibernian it would be too close to call, however, they would be my preferred choice to meet in the two leg play-off final. If you could ‘bottle’ how to lose important games Hibernian have single handedly discovered the secret bottling formula. They will always devise a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory no matter who they are playing. I only hope they keep the bottle lid tightly closed until the play-off final.

If it’s QotS it will be tight as I reckon they are a very organised side who know how to soak up the pressure and then hit teams on the break. They also have the dreaded plastic pitch, which would give them a very slight advantage in their home leg tie.

So in order of preference I would choose to play, Hibernian :thumsup2 , QotS :unsure: and as a very, very last resort Sevco :thumbsdown .

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fair enough.

I just assumed that a Friday night 'derby' would have brought a few more supporters out.

The core Accies support has been bouncing around in the 600-1200 range since the mid-1970s. Finishing higher than tenth in the SPL will always be a big achievement and a case of being above the club's natural station within the game.

If it’s Sevco YES 100%, historically we shit it at any mention of Ibrox, Rangers, Sevco, Tribute Act, Light Blues or Jock Wallace. Sevco are a bomb scare of a team, however, they are a bomb scare who would beat us with just the power of their mind. I would rather be relegated directly than have to face any incarnation of the Ibrox Loyal.

If it’s Hibernian it would be too close to call, however, they would be my preferred choice to meet in the two leg play-off final. If you could ‘bottle’ how to lose important games Hibernian have single handedly discovered the secret bottling formula. They will always devise a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory no matter who they are playing. I only hope they keep the bottle lid tightly closed until the play-off final.

If it’s QotS it will be tight as I reckon they are a very organised side who know how to soak up the pressure and then hit teams on the break. They also have the dreaded plastic pitch, which would give them a very slight advantage in their home leg tie.

So in order of preference I would choose to play, Hibernian :thumsup2 , QotS :unsure: and as a very, very last resort Sevco :thumbsdown .

Queens is our best and worst case scenario in the playoffs IMO.

Best case, would be for us to play them after they have potentially played extra time against both Rangers and Hibs. 4 high intense games in 2 weeks prior to facing us might be a slight difference. Although having seen our last 2 away games, they have very little to fear.

Worst case, as losing to Queens means we would have to contend with Saints, Hibs and Rangers for only 1 guaranteed promotion place next season.

Not denying Queens are a good team btw, they would beat us over 2 legs comfortably if we play like we have the vast majority of this season. It's more Hope that's making me believe we will be in the Premiership next season, rather than any proof I have seen with my own eyes.

I think it might almost be worth going down, so I don't need to go to NDP again - I've literally never walked out of there happy and it's amazing that we continually bring a big support there...

We are obviously cast iron certainties for the playoffs and to be honest, I would prefer to play Hibs, even though they might be the best of the 3 lower division clubs. We've got a decent record against them and they would bring a little bit of negative play-off baggage with them after last year. Rangers would seem the ideal one as they are a fucking shambles but (even though it tends to be overstated a bit), we usually have a mental block against them and I wouldn't fancy our chances there. Queens would probably be the worst outcome - a good team with a good home record and the one where our fans would have the highest level of expectation against as they are a "smaller" club than us. That said, I've never been to Palmerston, so it would be great from that point of view...

I think it might almost be worth going down, so I don't need to go to NDP again - I've literally never walked out of there happy and it's amazing that we continually bring a big support there...

I saw us win a pre-season friendly there a few years back. 3-0 I'm sure. It was basically a reserve fixture to be fair, still, a win is a win.

Other than that, it's been grim visit after grim visit to NDP.

Now that i've moved to live in Hamilton, I get the train to and from Glasgow from West, so I need to go past the stadium every bloody day! Some bad memories.

Historically we shit it at any mention of Rangers if history starts and ends with the reign of Stuart McCall.

Our last league match at Ibrox was a 0-0 draw I seem to remember. We had a pretty good run against Rangers at Fir Park under McGhee, Gannon, Brown etc. albeit a lot of them were draws, but draws that could have been wins. O'Brien missing last minute penalty, dodgy linesmen etc. Remember us cuffing Rangers on the last day of the season under Billy Davies? Remember us cuffing them even more on the last day of the season under Tommy McLean? In the 1990's we beat Rangers more than any other team in Scottish football including Celtic. So this history thing doesn't actually add up unless you want to be ultra negative about playing a team that's dropped points multiply times to Alloa and Livingston this season.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Historically we shit it at any mention of Rangers if history starts and ends with the reign of Stuart McCall.

Our last league match at Ibrox was a 0-0 draw I seem to remember. We had a pretty good run against Rangers at Fir Park under McGhee, Gannon, Brown etc. albeit a lot of them were draws, but draws that could have been wins. O'Brien missing last minute penalty, dodgy linesmen etc. Remember us cuffing Rangers on the last day of the season under Billy Davies? Remember us cuffing them even more on the last day of the season under Tommy McLean? In the 1990's we beat Rangers more than any other team in Scottish football including Celtic. So this history thing doesn't actually add up unless you want to be ultra negative about playing a team that's dropped points multiply times to Alloa and Livingston this season.

The last time we beat Rangers was on Boxing Day 2002, and the last time we played them was that 0-0 draw in May 2012 - that result made it 38 consecutive games against them without a win, home or away, in any competition.

The League Cup disaster against Sevco proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that this is a psychological problem as much as anything for us. Going into the game top of the league against opponents from the Third Division with key players missing, we couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to beat them. On the night, the sense of the 'occasion' got to the players and they froze.

The fact that our wretched record against Rangers has carried on into their present incarnation, coupled with our performances in recent crucial games, leaves no doubt in my mind that if we were to face them in the play-off final we are as good as down before a ball is kicked. That's why we have to hope Hibernian or Queen of the South can do the business so that nightmare scenario is avoided.

The last time we beat Rangers was on Boxing Day 2002, and the last time we played them was that 0-0 draw in May 2012 - that result made it 38 consecutive games against them without a win, home or away, in any competition.

The League Cup disaster against Sevco proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that this is a psychological problem as much as anything for us. Going into the game top of the league against opponents from the Third Division with key players missing, we couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to beat them. On the night, the sense of the 'occasion' got to the players and they froze.

The fact that our wretched record against Rangers has carried on into their present incarnation, coupled with our performances in recent crucial games, leaves no doubt in my mind that if we were to face them in the play-off final we are as good as down before a ball is kicked. That's why we have to hope Hibernian or Queen of the South can do the business so that nightmare scenario is avoided.

I want to face Rangers for several reasons.

1) They are no better than any of the other teams we could play in the play off and are arguably worse (at least head to head against Hibs and QoS).

2) All the pressure is on them and they have been notoriously flaky this season under pressure.

3) We we do go down I do not want to be in a Championship with Rangers who will more than likely improve significantly next season.

You talk about the long run without a win but as I said Rangers hardly outclassed us with much better teams then than they have now. Going back to the last non McCall season in 2009/10 season for instance we played 4 league matches and Rangers won 1 of them.

With an attitude like you have we should just withdraw from the league if we can't 'face up' to playing certain teams.

Archived