Plus they are all a bunch of c***s. NZ will become a republic before Australia. For those that don't know Eric Bogle is the guy who wrote The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. He is from Peebles but has lived in Adelaide since 1969.

Meanwhile regarding the topic tomorrow is the 100 years since the Gallipoli landings and what eventually gave us ANZAC Day as a day of remembrance. Tomorrow we'll have blanket TV coverage from Dawn Services in NZ and the various Australian States followed by the marches then late morning/early afternoon cross to Turkey for the Dawn Service where there will be about 10,000 from Australia & NZ in attendance, then probably the ABC and maybe Sky News will stay tuned for dawn service from Poitiers in France. Plus every AFL, NRL, Super Rugby and A-League game will have a ceremony before hand and playing of the Last Post. AFL the most cringeworthy as always struck me as being way too OTT. Anyway it's part of what being an Aussie or New Zealander is supposedly all about.

War is shite but

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Will there be a tribute thrown in to the 36th Ulster Division?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becoming a republic bubbles away under the surface in Oz, but it was never really talked about when I lived down in NZ.

When I was down there a few weeks back, it was raised a few times by Kiwis I know to see what my views were.

Nobody is really 'anti-monarchy' as such in the way I'm not 'anti-Eskimo' in other words, nobody gives a shit about the monarchy any more.

John Key is on record as saying that NZ will eventually become a republic but he said he couldn't predict when it will happen. The flag referendum has brought it to everyone's attention.

You bang on about the team you support having proud protestant traditions as well as boasting of your membership of the Orange Order,it's you that keeps mentioning religion,I'm just calling you on it

I do none of that. Have a challenge. Show when I ever, "Bang on about the team you support having proud protestant traditions as well as boasting of your membership of the Orange Order"

You will find yourself as yet another sad Plastic who makes an accusation but can't back it up.

I shan't hold my breath.

As for the band played waltzing Matilda, it's one of the best anti-war songs going.

And the young people ask what are they marching for?

And I ask myself, the same question.

Absolutely. It was a shocking waste.

Plastic?

You bang on about the team you support having proud protestant traditions as well as boasting of your membership of the Orange Order,it's you that keeps mentioning religion,I'm just calling you on it

Still waiting......

Plastic?

Still waiting, Kevvybhoy. Any chance we get a response?

Are you gonna keep bangin on about this pish ?

I wanted to send a note to The Diggers who post on here. The whole Gallipoli clusterfeck barely registers on the national conscience 'over here' but some of us remember the bravery and prowess of your boys.

Our parliament is in recess pending the general election but I expect a statement from Her Maj later this week to give rightful thanks to the men from Australia and New Zealand who went beyond what humans should be expected to do.

The Big War was altogether dreadful (and my grandfather was a soldier in France) but the men from Australia and New Zealand can hold their heads high as can the the men of the 36th Ulster Division whose gallantry at The Somme will be remembered next year.

So a note of thanks from 'over here' and a wee song from Eric Bogle:

Maybe, fb, you could explain what the Somme, or ulster, had to do with Anzac Day?

Or have a pop at the old fool who introduced "this pish" on the first place. I for one am truly shocked at a the rangers fan hijacking a military occasion for his own ends.

Or have a pop at the old fool who introduced "this pish" on the first place. I for one am truly shocked at a the rangers fan hijacking a military occasion for his own ends.

I think it is perfectly fine to remember The ANZACS. That some tools have an issue with it bewilders me.

Archived