This is why you and your wee chums turned an absolutely benign thread into something contentious.

You and your Septic pals are rotten.

You could always have edited your original post to remove irrelevant references to ulster and the Somme, but you chose instead to try and turn it into some kind of crusade. Now you bring it down to your usual bigoted, binary view. Worse, from a personal stance, you appear, yet again, to accuse me of being affiliated to "thame", being simply incapable of understanding that, to decent people, this type of self-definition is beyond pitiable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you gonna keep bangin on about this pish ?

Kincardine started an ANZAC Day thread and used it to get in a gratuitous, unnecessary and totally irrelevant reference to Ulster and the Somme.

"the men from Australia and New Zealand can hold their heads high as can the the men of the 36th Ulster Division whose gallantry at The Somme will be remembered next year." Subtle as a sledgehammer.

It's a continuation of the trend in recent years of Rangers fans using the various war commemorations as point scoring exercises, and the deification of one regiment to the total exclusion of every other British and Irish regiment who fought at the Somme. That's what pisses me off.

Don't tell me you've never heard of the the 36th Ulster Division? The only Allied regiment to have fought on the western front in WWI (according to the big blue book of Ibroxology).

Yip, and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the 1st Royal Munsters seem to have been airbrushed out of history.

Those heroes that have shed their blood and lost their lives, you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side in this country of ours....

You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now in our bosom and are in peace. After losing their lives on this soil, they have become our sons as well.

This is what the thread should be about, not glorifying the slaughter and praising the Ulster division or trying to score points against the other side either.

Unless a country's life is at stake, all war is murder.

Wise man that Ataturk.

Those heroes that have shed their blood and lost their lives, you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side in this country of ours....

You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now in our bosom and are in peace. After losing their lives on this soil, they have become our sons as well.

Ahh, now we're getting someplace .

It was the wummins fault .

More soldiers from what is now the Republic were killed in the Dardanelles than soldiers from NZ

Strange that the raging bigot chooses not to mention them ...

And France... I'm surprised Rangers haven't had an ANZAC day yet?

Only in Scotland could a thread about Australian and new Zealand remembrance day turn into old firm pish.

I'm aware that no other country gives a f**k about the of, but you get the point.

Only in Scotland could a thread about Australian and new Zealand remembrance day turn into old firm pish.

I'm aware that no other country gives a f**k about the of, but you get the point.

Agreed.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1430035593.918904.jpg120k at Canberra, 40k at the Auckland War Memorial, massive turnouts for both countries.

My mate put this up, he was at the Melbourne service.

And folk on here turn it into a point scoring exercise.

It wasn't turned into a point scoring exercise, chaps. It started out that way, and has been roundly criticised as such, by myself and others unaffiliated to either of Scotland's bigot beacons.

Ok, as an ex-ex-pat of New Zealand and seeing my folks now live in Brizzy, I feel I have a right to comment on this.

Be prepared for them both to go republic within the next decade.

NZ is having a referendum on the flag, National, yes National are okay with ditching the old Southern Cross and Union Flag one for something more modern which unless I am every much mistaken will be a black flag with a silver fern.

That's like the Tories ditching the union flag for the European one. Think about the scenes.

Australia also has rumblings of republicanism going on as well.

Again.

It's looking at NZ with a very watchful eye. Abbot is a Neo-con cretinous bawbag in budgie smugglers, he's gone next time out. Most of the others are all for ditching the monarchy.

The older generation is dying out, both look to Asia for their markets and no amount of boat trips and Barbies by Wills and Kate will change the March away.

The islands are also beginning to lose their obsession with what is quite frankly an historical hang up.

Kiss the dominions goodbye when Liz goes.

Good riddance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived