Clydebank new stadium

MacGafraidh

Faifley is hardly the centre of Clydebank, but if WDC are wanting to throw a bit of land at you and chuck 500,000 quid in for free who are we to stand in the way.

Not sure what the magical target of cash is but surely you guys only need a pitch, changing rooms and a fence round the park to kick you off?

Or is the target a nice artificial surface which can provide income and potentially get playing time on a Saturday from Nov-Feb?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faifley is hardly the centre of Clydebank, but if WDC are wanting to throw a bit of land at you and chuck 500,000 quid in for free who are we to stand in the way.

Not sure what the magical target of cash is but surely you guys only need a pitch, changing rooms and a fence round the park to kick you off?

Or is the target a nice artificial surface which can provide income and potentially get playing time on a Saturday from Nov-Feb?

To get grants 3G / 4G it has to be.

You my idiotic friend are clearly a clown.

I have supported my team for 41 years and in 32 of them we have not won a single trophy.

Pray tell me how that is glory hunting?

I watch plenty of football both through paying to get in and am work and can assure any top level Junior player could walk into a League 1 or 2 side.

You only have to look at Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan regularly scoring in the SPL to see that Junior players can make the step up.

You stated that you didn't want to join the senior leagues because you wouldn't win anything or go anywhere. I only stated that made you a glory hunter, it's not my fault if you're shite at glory hunting.

No one is denying that junior players can make it, we have one of our own who has just scooped two player of the year awards in Garry Fleming, it doesn't mean that every "top level junior player" would waltz into every League 1 team. There are some good junior teams and some good junior players. The standard isn't better than League 1 though, if it were every "top level junior team" in the country would be clambering over each other to join the league set up and piss their way to the top.

You stated that you didn't want to join the senior leagues because you wouldn't win anything or go anywhere. I only stated that made you a glory hunter, it's not my fault if you're shite at glory hunting.

No one is denying that junior players can make it, we have one of our own who has just scooped two player of the year awards in Garry Fleming, it doesn't mean that every "top level junior player" would waltz into every League 1 team. There are some good junior teams and some good junior players. The standard isn't better than League 1 though, if it were every "top level junior team" in the country would be clambering over each other to join the league set up and

piss their way to the top.

It's not my fault you're a bit thick either.

I support my local team.

Something difficult for a lot of senior fans to understand.

As for clambering for League 1?

I would rather watch good competitive football rather than tedious mediocrity.

So give me Junior football anyday and you stick to the yawnfest of seniors.

I support my local team.

You've spectacularly missed every point I've made and made statements without any evidence so I guess we'll just leave it at that.

Nobody finds that difficult to understand, what we do find odd is the idea that we aren't doing the same.

Yeah you can tell that by the busloads heading to Celtic Park and Ibrox.

Well yes they don't count, but the other 40 clubs are very much local clubs. Putting them in the same box is more than a little silly

Not particularly.

Local club is where you come from.

I lived for a time in Peterhead and would watch people leave there to go and watch Aberdeen instead of Peterhead or Buchanhaven Hearts who are their real local clubs.

Maybe pedantic but your local club is the one nearest your home not your nearest big club.

Not particularly.

Local club is where you come from.

I lived for a time in Peterhead and would watch people leave there to go and watch Aberdeen instead of Peterhead or Buchanhaven Hearts who are their real local clubs.

Maybe pedantic but your local club is the one nearest your home not your nearest big club.

But surely if pars for life is from dunfermline and supports them, he is indeed supporting his local team.

Your closest team is daft too. Say someone from the top end of maryhill supports Partick thistle. They are wrong to do this because maryhill's ground is closer? Don't talk mince

Fair enough, I was living in the West End when I started following Maryhill, but I've since moved. By that logic as I now live about 800 yards up the hill from Somervell Park I should have switched to supporting Cambuslang Rangers as they're my local team.

While I've got a wee soft spot for the Lang, I'm never going to switch allegiances to them.

His argument is all over the place. He's arguing pro-juniors but what if your closest team is senior (league or non-league)? Also, people support teams based on their family too not by measuring out which team is exactly the closest to you. There are obviously a lot of glory hunters supporting the Old Firm but they are not reflective of the majority of other football fans of senior teams. I find it strange reading these threads and seeing people talk about junior football as if it's a completely different sport to senior football. Is there really much difference between a football fan of a junior team and senior teams outwith the Old Firm? None of the teams have any chance of winning the SPFL. They're all fighting for winning a junior league/getting third place (second now) in the Premiership/winning promotion from a lower league/the occasional cup etc.

I just checked and, including all of the non-league senior/junior Edinburgh teams, Hearts are my second closest team. The closest one being Edinburgh University...

His argument is all over the place. He's arguing pro-juniors but what if your closest team is senior (league or non-league)? Also, people support teams based on their family too not by measuring out which team is exactly the closest to you. There are obviously a lot of glory hunters supporting the Old Firm but they are not reflective of the majority of other football fans of senior teams. I find it strange reading these threads and seeing people talk about junior football as if it's a completely different sport to senior football. Is there really much difference between a football fan of a junior team and senior teams outwith the Old Firm? None of the teams have any chance of winning the SPFL. They're all fighting for winning a junior league/getting third place (second now) in the Premiership/winning promotion from a lower league/the occasional cup etc.

I just checked and, including all of the non-league senior/junior Edinburgh teams, Hearts are my second closest team. The closest one being Edinburgh University...

I agree with 99% of your post but don't get the old firm fan bashing. Glasgow and the greater Glasgow area is by far the biggest population centre in Scotland. The two most prominent senior teams from this city are the best supported in Scotland. The vast majority of old firm fans are from Glasgow.

I agree with 99% of your post but don't get the old firm fan bashing. Glasgow and the greater Glasgow area is by far the biggest population centre in Scotland. The two most prominent senior teams from this city are the best supported in Scotland. The vast majority of old firm fans are from Glasgow.

That's fair enough. I don't have any problem with people from Glasgow supporting Rangers or Celtic but I'm pretty sure there are a significant number of Old Firm fans (or, at least, people who say they support them but never go to any games) from other towns/cities who support Rangers and Celtic purely because of their dominance in Scottish football. I wasn't meaning to call every single Old Firm fan a "glory hunter".

If your closet team is Senior then support them.

Thankfully my local team was Junior.

I support my local team.

Look mate, I love the juniors. Whenever Sons don't have a match I'll be out watching a local team (Petershill, Maryhill, Pollok, Rob Roy, Kilsyth, the Bankies, Yoker, Arthurlie, the Vale etc...) but the standard in the Leagues is much higher. Technical wise it's similar but the difference in the match pace and fitness levels required to play senior are huge.

Surely you'd love to see Beith being the best they could possibly be? Be that a Lowland League, League 2, League 1 or even Championship outfit.

My closest team geographically is Maryhill/BSC, then Thistle, Rangers, St Mirren, Celtic, Queens Park and then DFC. Supporting your team isn't just down to Geography. I'm a Sons fan because my Dad was, he's a Sons fan because his Dad was and he's a Sons fan because his father in-law was. He was from Clydebank, so nae excuses for him to be fair! But I'm fourth generation Sons fan and no matter where I live in the world, if I have kids I'll force demand politely try and introduce them into being Sons' as well!

FWIW I'd love the Bankies back in the seniors, we need a proper derby match.

That's fair enough. I don't have any problem with people from Glasgow supporting Rangers or Celtic but I'm pretty sure there are a significant number of Old Firm fans (or, at least, people who say they support them but never go to any games) from other towns/cities who support Rangers and Celtic purely because of their dominance in Scottish football. I wasn't meaning to call every single Old Firm fan a "glory hunter".

Yeah and I do agree, there are "glory hunter" fans in other towns and cities, but I think the extent of this is greatly exaggerated. The Dumbarton fan posting here is a good example of how family tradition can dictate allegiances rather than location. These days I think the term "glory" should be used loosely anyway! Haha

But that also raises a question, would an old firm fan from Dumfries be a glory hunter when old Trafford and the etihad are a similar distance from Palmerston than ibrox or parkhead?

I would have had a hard time being called a "glory hunter" living in North Lanarkshire and supporting United, we were dire in many seasons I was there!

Now I live 3 hours from LA, should I adopt LA Galaxy now?

• 1 year later...
On 05/05/2015 at 18:17, MacGafraidh said:

All ifs and but LTL but I would think that should there be a vacancy and they have their licensing ducks in a row (a lot of caveats huh?) then they would be allowed to apply to LFL, if that is not the case, I agree LTL it maybe SOS, skoosh that league and then LFL and then SPFL (providing they rise that far)

12 months on: what is the latest on Holm Park's redevelopment, and is there a timetable for completion of the work. It seems to have gone quiet on licensing and transfer to the seniors as well ? What do the Bankies' fans want ?

Archived