Barry Smith. New Aldershot manager

atfccfc

Safe to say that one P&B member will be chuffed at this..

Ludo-for-Android.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed to. To be fair Think he will do an excellent job for us. Its a huge rebuilding job for us. we have been sliding for 3/4 years now. Hope Barry can also get us a pre-season tour up here so I can get to some games.

I'm pretty chuffed to. To be fair Think he will do an excellent job for us. Its a huge rebuilding job for us. we have been sliding for 3/4 years now. Hope Barry can also get us a pre-season tour up here so I can get to some games.

With a win record of 33% as manager, the Shot will be standing still at most.

• 11 months later...

next stop Forfar, or something similar

surprised Barry got so long. Aldershot have had a rotten season and never looked like getting out of the bottom third of the table.

The conference gets harder every year but still, a very poor performance with the resources at his disposal.

Aren't Aldershot in financial ruin? Isn't avoiding relegation their primary aim based on what they have? I know they lie around mid table in attendance numbers but their forums are filled with talk on their budget.

From what I saw of him, his recruitment is pretty unimaginative and he is too loyal to his players. It's not necessarily a bad thing in the sense that his teams play for him and are harmonious but you need a bit more than that. Nice guys rarely make good managers.

The Dundee Under 20s managers job is available. Wonder if he's got his eye on that.

Not 'financial ruin' that was a few years ago we went into administration. We just have never had any money bit run the club on a very tight budget! Our budget therefore is very small as we have never owned our ground and rent in south East England is extortionate! So we rarely can afford to give players nore than a one year contract. Also we rely heavily on short term loan players (one to two months at a time) so aren't able to build a strong squad. This is a general frustration for fans.

On attendances. We used to have a hard core crowd of 2000 but that seems to be down to 1300 now. Even during our Isthmian league days crowds rarely got as low as they do now. And have never traditionally been much higher than 3500 in good times.

Like a lot of small town clubs we have a lot of fans leaving the town for London teams as well as Southampton, Portsmouth and evening our historical rivals Reading! Being a Garrison town doesn't help either.

In saying all that. The club does have a good community outlook and has been helped out by Chelsea using our ground for reserve and youth fixtures. I think we get to keep gate receipts and food sales etc.

Archived