The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder he wants to go elsewhere when they bring in other kids from the smell and Rangers and he gets left on the bench. Bad form from the club especially with all the crap about wanting youth and home grown talent in the team. He is the top scorer for god sake and we loan him out while we are fighting for a top four place.

cooper I have to agree with poet here. its one player just now but say the boy does well rangers will think we can send a few players there. we build them up give them first team games making them better players in the process. while our own youth players dont get the chance to develop by playing in the unders. also when we do bring any youg players up they might not be ready because of the lack of games at the level we should be giving them game just now and bleeding them into the squad just now instead of relying on loan deals. youth is the future

Early days, but I'm beginning to think the same. I just hope we haven't entered into some sort of agreement with Rangers to play their young players at the expense of our own. The chairman is/was a Rangers fan. Very cynical of me, I know.

I don't mind players coming in from other clubs if they'll make our team better - which hopefully Thompson will. Signing better players is what the club should be doing. What's nuts about this decision is that we've let our best midfielder go and what makes it worse is there are far worse players in his position who could just as easily have been punted - ie. how the f**k is Adam Brown worthy of a place in the team over Watt?

You couldn't be more wrong - far easier to punt decent players over shit ones!

Early days, but I'm beginning to think the same. I just hope we haven't entered into some sort of agreement with Rangers to play their young players at the expense of our own. The chairman is/was a Rangers fan. Very cynical of me, I know.

Completely unfounded. Ayr took a Rangers player on loan today. I presume that means they have entered into an agreement too?

Gutted! I have been critical of Watt at times but this is a poor move at this point of the season. And makes you wonder what kind of terms he was offered.....I know that staff at Livingston are embarrassed at the money they are able to offer players (although I don't know the actual amount).

Hard to properly judge it without knowing the order of events, however even then I don't really get sending him out on loan. Even if Brechin are paying his wages for a month, how much money is that really going to save? Surely it would be worth just having him in the squad and playing him if needed - like we did on Saturday.

On his day he is an effective player, equally he can have games where he looks nothing like a footballer. I think his main limitation is that he doesn't really have a set position. Not solid enough to play defensive midfield, his passing isn't really good enough to play as the creative midfielder, and he's not a natural wide player. He's kind of been moved around for us and has played a lot of games, but never had a run in one position. Probably at his best as part of a 5 man midfield where he can do a bit of everything. I'm not that bothered about losing him as a player, I'm more concerned that it's hardly a good sign that we can't even afford to attract/keep someone who came through our own youth system and convince them to go full-time with us.

Strange decision. Easily Airdrie's most impressive player I've seen this season. Seems they've let him go because he won't be there next season and replaced him with someone else's player who also won't be there next season.

Completely unfounded. Ayr took a Rangers player on loan today. I presume that means they have entered into an agreement too?

Why I said it was cynical of me to make the suggestion. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if we hadn't sent Watt to Brechin. It does ask questions of the emergency loan system though.

Hard to properly judge it without knowing the order of events, however even then I don't really get sending him out on loan. Even if Brechin are paying his wages for a month, how much money is that really going to save? Surely it would be worth just having him in the squad and playing him if needed - like we did on Saturday.

The way I see it, it's gone one of two ways:

Watt has not been offered anything concrete and has gone out to sort himself out for next season, as anyone would. EWB has found out and chucked his toys

or

Watt has been actively looking to get away, we've offered him something and he's rejected it. He's been sent out on loan.

Either way, any club who gets rid of their top scorer, whilst supposedly challenging for a play-off spot looks a stupid. It's clearly not about saving money and whatever way you paint this, the lad has been told he'll get very little game time at Airdrie.

For me, EWB comes out of this very badly and is systematically ruining his already fragile reputation.

All the best to Liam, it's a shame he didn't stay I am sure he has his reasons. I think though it's a bit rich sending him out on loan to brechin anyone that seen the stranrear game or the previous games would seen he would give his all to the end of the season. I bet Mr bollan would have loved to get Liam on loan. I feel we would be in a better place with Liam. Also are the club offering contracts to the other players or are they getting made to swet it out. Ewb king and Mr chairman if your reading sending watt out on loan is the wrong decision and as fans who pay our voices should be heard.

Club has been good this season in keeping fans informed. They need to do so with this big time. Something fairly dramatic has happened here in the last few days. Club looks bad on the available evidence. If there is something more it needs to be said otherwise a lot of hard fought goodwill will be lost.

Good as Liam was on Saturday, I think people are going a bit far saying he's been our best player this season. He is the top scorer, true, but I think that Cox, Parry, Cadden and arguably even Lister have brought more in the games they've played.

Cox - I agree.

Parry - no chance. Far to prone to error and has been distinctly average. I can't recall one save he's made where I've thought "that's class"

Cadden - Bit part player. Deffo one for the future (probably ship him off to East Stirling now) but input this season has been minimal.

Lister - He's only been back about three games!

EWB was brought in on the promise of bringing through youth. TW said in the interview the goal is to have 60% home grown players in the starting 11. Watt, certainly one of the better "homegrown" players, - let go. highly rated Glackin - let go. Rangers and Motherwell youngsters brought in. I just don't get it.

Cox - I agree.

Parry - no chance. Far to prone to error and has been distinctly average. I can't recall one save he's made where I've thought "that's class"

Cadden - Bit part player. Deffo one for the future (probably ship him off to East Stirling now) but input this season has been minimal.

Lister - He's only been back about three games!

EWB was brought in on the promise of bringing through youth. TW said in the interview the goal is to have 60% home grown players in the starting 11. Watt, certainly one of the better "homegrown" players, - let go. highly rated Glackin - let go. Rangers and Motherwell youngsters brought in. I just don't get it.

Just throwing it out there for consideration, but maybe the plan is to try to entice/attract other clubs good players into our 'Academy'?

Just throwing it out there for consideration, but maybe the plan is to try to entice/attract other clubs good players into our 'Academy'?

Then by all means that should be the plan, but at least keep or attempt to keep the ones who have showed a glimmer of promise, not punt them out at the first hurdle.

Surely this is where a manager earns his crust, by nurturing talent and "developing".

Archived