Berwick Rangers 2015/16

I'm all for it if it will make money obviously, just a bit unsure.

On the East Lothian front, how many of them are privately owned? Sure the council paid for the Dunbar one and the North Berwick one is at the school so probably the same.

Then again that could be where the new director comes into play. Guess we'll just wait and see.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just briefly looking up costs online and making assumptions here so bear with me.

- An average football pitch is around 7000 square metres.

- 3g turf is apparently £45/50 per square metre.

So say £40x7000, £280,000 to lay, then add the cost of decent access, changing rooms etc.

Rent it out for £25 an hour, 20 hours a week gives you £26,000 a year.

That would make it 11 years until it started making money, by which point it would be fucked and need replaced.

Thats where my opinion that its ridiculous comes from, however I don't know the full story and/or accurate figures.

I'm pretty sure the outgoing chairman said at the talk-in with Cameron in the autumn that a 4g pitch at shielfield had been costed at £600,000, with a lot of that assigned to ground levelling work. Half the price if it was done in-house......

I would be in favour of the club contributing towards a 3G facility in Berwick, but not on Old Shielfield. If you look at facilities in Edinburgh, the Lothians and Borders which have been most successful, they require plenty of space - e.g. for 5 aside cages - as well as good access, car parking, services for parents etc. - e.g. café - and get used night and day. Old Shielfield is a cramped site, backing onto a street of houses, poorly accessed (I suppose you could drive a road through the timber yard from the industrial estate?) and would need a pavilion, floodlights and so on put in. Shielfield or another site IMO.

Just noticed this post. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

It's up to supporters to do something about it. We hold the cards. Time to start using them.

I have sold the BRFC weekly tickets since the scheme began around 25 years ago on the understanding that all profits went to the football club via the Supporters Club and not to individuals, be it the current chairman or anyone else.

If the current rumours are true that his 26,000 shares were purchased without the knowledge of their full committee, the people who made this decision should resign or be removed.

320K to level the pitch? ?Ffs who gave them that quote. Probably the same company that made the "coach park "in the Parade.

You saved me the question but I'll ask it anyway.

That is an incredible amount.

Handy Andy would do it for a few grand ffs.

Where or who did they get that pie in the sky figure from?

Just briefly looking up costs online and making assumptions here so bear with me.

- An average football pitch is around 7000 square metres.

- 3g turf is apparently £45/50 per square metre.

So say £40x7000, £280,000 to lay, then add the cost of decent access, changing rooms etc.

Rent it out for £25 an hour, 20 hours a week gives you £26,000 a year.

That would make it 11 years until it started making money, by which point it would be fucked and need replaced.

Thats where my opinion that its ridiculous comes from, however I don't know the full story and/or accurate figures.

Maybe a wee bit pessimistic; how about easily 25hrs a week at a more realistic (conservative) £50 /HR. We pay £12:50 /hr for third of a pitch! Consider the savings in grass maintenance and maximised revenue with guaranteed Saturday home games; sums look better. But it's the potential to play good football without the pitch levelling any gulf between the teams that swings it surely?

Pretty sure the going rate for full 3/4G pitch for 2 hrs is around £120, usually for training, amateur teams will hire a 3rd of a pitch which naturally brings down the costs, think if there was one in the town, it'd be generally busy Mon-Fri, and good chance it'd be used for matches on a Saturday - as a training facility and not the actual team park. If it was, every other week teams could play on it, this is the norm - Airdrie/QoS etc.

Maybe a wee bit pessimistic; how about easily 25hrs a week at a more realistic (conservative) £50 /HR. We pay £12:50 /hr for third of a pitch! Consider the savings in grass maintenance and maximised revenue with guaranteed Saturday home games; sums look better. But it's the potential to play good football without the pitch levelling any gulf between the teams that swings it surely?

We were all talking about this being on Old Shielfield at this stage. If it was to be used by first team I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't making money.

Pretty sure the going rate for full 3/4G pitch for 2 hrs is around £120, usually for training, amateur teams will hire a 3rd of a pitch which naturally brings down the costs, think if there was one in the town, it'd be generally busy Mon-Fri, and good chance it'd be used for matches on a Saturday - as a training facility and not the actual team park. If it was, every other week teams could play on it, this is the norm - Airdrie/QoS etc.

3 years ago, Stenny charge the general public £240 to hire the full pitch at Ochilview for 2 hours or £280 if you also wanted them to supply a ref. We hired it out a few times.

They cost far more than £280k - plus anywhere outwith Shielfield would need access, lights, pavilion, water etc. - but rent for more than YF thinks, too.

EDIT: for some context - Scottish Borders Council is installing 3G pitches in Hawick (on the existing Hawick Linden RFC stadium) and in Peebles (new build on a public park). Cost at Hawick is put at £1,277,000 - this includes refurbishing the stand, upgrading the lights, etc. - and at Peebles is put at £1,659,000 for what is basically a new build on an open site. Tbf, I think Hawick is a higher price 3G than the basic as like Netherdale it'll include a shockpad making it usable for rugby.

Each one gets 50/50 'Cashback for Communities' (aka 'Proceeds of Crime') funding - up to £300k - from Sportscotland, although I haven't a clue if similar arrangements operate in England or not. Renewal costs after around a decade - some go earlier - are put at £300k.

http://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s4844/Item%20No%206%20Peebles%20Hawick%203G%20Pitches.pdf

According to this the 3G pitch at Annan cost £592,000.

http://www.theesto.com/esto-news-link/synthetic-turf-pitch-provision-to-scottish-football-league-club

Several were installed on existing SOSL grounds across D&G costing "on average £500k".

Netherdale is currently the only 3G in the Borders. Here are its rental prices:

http://www.bslt.org.uk/file/Price%20List%203G.pdf

Annan got most of the money for there pitch for nowt..applied in the right places got the funding, upgraded with some of the council cash so they could get there mitts in. The pitch it's self is a blinding success used everynight and all week end and am not kidding, I can see it from my kitchen windae. It's not everyone's cup of tea but the facts are the weather is shit, you need a 4g or your going to sink into the mud...

There 's a useful discussion to be had about the playing surface at whatever stadium we find ourselves at in the future, but a personal view is that the power grab that's just been executed in the boardroom is more of a priority at the moment. I'd respectfully suggest there are more pressing matters and that certain factions in the boardroom will be delighted if supporters get sidetracked on a debate about the merits of 4G. What I can say is that profit calculations based on what happens elsewhere are overblown, and that a pre-deduction weekly income of £800-1000 pw is more realistic than the six figures regularly bandied about.

Re Saturday's decision - don't forget these are the guys who held a breakfast meeting in a Tweedmouth cafe with Lenny Eyre before formally anointing him after his back of a fag packet presentation in the boardroom, then hot-footed it up to Dunbar to celebrate their coup. The supporters organisations who are the major shareholders in Berwick Rangers FC had negigible influence on any of this. It seems like a done deal, a fait accomplit, a stitch-up. And that cannot be healthy.

John Bell never had a chance. I've seen his presentation and it is realistic, professional, insightful, visionary, and makes a very persuasive case for the future of Berwick Rangers at the heart of the local community, in a way that evidence-free wishful thinking about promotion and developing a 3G pitch at Old Shielfield simply fails to do.

John Bell will shortly be deposed as vice-chair and his successor is likely to be Graham Bell, who was only recently appointed to the board with a fundraising brief. This is about a particular group cementing their control of the club. Given that Shielfield Rocks lost in the region of £3500 last year, I'm hoping that the board, with its new members, will be taking a more forensic approach to protecting the club's finances. I'd also repeat the proposal I made at the AGM, which is that irrespective of Saturday's decision, supporters should still get the chance to hear the presentations made by the candidates to succeed Brian Porteous including that from the chairman-elect. That will give people the chance to make up their own mind whose leadership would be best suited to modernising Berwick Rangers.

I think supporters have been played for suckers. The board is there to represent supporters and shareholders. Let's ensure they start doing that.

Archived