Berwick Rangers 2015/16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no doubt that things have improved in the last few months, but a two year full time contract?

If the board can justify this in terms of where it fits in with the objectives of a long term business plan, then I can understand it a bit more. However, if this is not tied in with a long-term strategy for the football club then I will remain firmly on the fence for the time being.

Incredibly poor news. Full time beggars belief.

The man has eventually steadied the ship but let's not forget that we were not a million miles off the play offs and ultimately the Chairman's goal when he took over yet finished way off it come the business end of the season.

Things were a shambles when he came, whatever the league position was. I wasn't too pleased with the appointment initially and it clearly took him a while to sort out the dressing room, but since his January work the team is transformed. He's done a great job overall.

If you were employed in a job for six months with strict targets, would you expect to get an extended contract after falling way short ?

This is a win win situation for John Coughlin and a lose only situation for the club. Another large compensation payment is on the horizon. Get the full time bit but why two years?

The board don't even know what position we were in at the time of appointment, what chance do we have.

The 'target' was clearly unrealistic then. He inherited a rotten dressing room, very low on confidence and quality. It took him time to turn things round and the credit for that goes to his signings in January. It would be extremely harsh to overly judge him on his first couple of months, when since we've looked our most consistent in years, actually look like we have some leaders, and can beat anyone in the league now. We're a team totally transformed.

In my opinion it would be a far bigger risk getting rid of him and bringing in someone else with little knowledge of the club and team. A 2 year contract is right for longer term thinking and we should be appointing a full time manager anyway the work involved.

I agree with BM here, this is a good move. All successful enterprises need a strategic plan and stability of key people who will deliver it; none more central and key than the manager.

Now:- utterly demonstrable improvement on the park. Strong, clear and professionally managed training sessions leading to players with clear individual and collective objectives on the park, tailored match by match. Passion from him, and from the team plain for all to see on match day. I see cohesion 'in the dressing room' that hasn't been there for a long time and buy-in to his selection philosophy.

Future:- continued progress on the field on a similar trend-line works for me. The development squad results show a similar upward trend. Coff's passion is shared by Neil Oliver and Myles Allan and with 2 years to build and develop further our youth strategy and programme, how can that be bad?

I'm not saying we're there; a long way from it. But I think securing Coff for 2 years lays a foundation for the right man, to do the right things in the right way to deliver steady progress towards where we all want our club to be.

Football's a business of divided opinions, but let's base our opinions on the here and now.

A positive and supportive fan-base (reacting to the here and now, which is demonstrably positive) will help; negativity (everyone's entitled) based on anecdote and unrealistic aspirations won't.

Aye the interviews are fine on brfctv. Interesting to hear Jordan was released this week. Hopefully snap him up.

As Coff said post game, big McGregor will have full time options, hopefully means we may get him back on loan. Hes been great for the club, 2 goals, all those clean sheets and still a young lad. All the best to him. Not sure what Hibs arent seeing to be truthful.

If McNeill has signed for Clyde, I don't really see much point in playing him the rest of the season. I though Beveridge did well there yesterday and deserves a little run in the team, especially if Coughlin is looking to consider him for next season.

If McNeill has signed for Clyde, I don't really see much point in playing him the rest of the season. I though Beveridge did well there yesterday and deserves a little run in the team, especially if Coughlin is looking to consider him for next season.

Agreed

What's people's opinions for this fans match? Doesn't seem to be much interest in it if I'm honest, and I can see why. The price.

£70 to play 90mins with a group of people like yourself , it's about a weeks wage for an average first team player!

Good idea and fair play to the lads that have signed up for it, but the price put me off, student and all.

I've been a vociferous critic of certain individuals on the board and what I'm about to say next does'nt absolve them of responsibility for 8 years of on-field failure and the clusterfuck of a decision to extend Cameron's contract, but there is undoubtedly a feelgood spirit about the place, due in large part to the extraordinary transformation of a shambolic, disinterested team into an outfit that's conceded one goal in 800-odd minutes and is probably the most in-form side in the league. A huge amount of credit goes to John Coughlin, and his players, who have clearly bought into his approach and it's delivering in spades.

I liked Coff when he was first at shielfield; he was approachable, always had time for supporters, had a clear connection/affinity with the club and obviously, won us the league. But I'm always a bit circumspect about people returning. He's proving that fear to be misplaced, and then some, so plaudits to the board for their decision to award him a full-time 2 year deal. If the extra that it costs makes the difference between no-hopers and real contenders, then it's money well spent. Crowds are up, there's a buzz back at shielfield, and some genuine optimism about the future. I'm under no illusions about how tough it will be to rebuild the team for next season, but hopefully we can some of our best performers signed up to form the core of a team capable of contesting the title. Why not? The margins in quality between the teams from 1st - 9th are wafer thin.

Because the team's playing so well, confirmation that John Bell will be chairman going forward is heartening too even though that decision has slipped below the radar because of what's happening on the pitch. I'm hopeful that that position won't change when Brian Porteous steps down. It would be a foolish move to unseat John in the future, and my hope still is that John Bell becomes chairman of Berwick Rangers in time.

The signage on the new stand looks good too. It all counts towards boosting the clubs image and getting more people through the turnstiles.

As for players retention - I'd re-sign Fairbairn, Martin (signed), Crane (wishful thinking), McGregor, Notman, Graham, McKenna & Henderson. Possibly Wilson too. Time to say thanks and goodbye to McNeil, Lavery, Beveridge, Drummond, Coultress, Walker A, Walker K, Walters, Stevenson.

I've been a vociferous critic of certain individuals on the board and what I'm about to say next does'nt absolve them of responsibility for 8 years of on-field failure and the clusterfuck of a decision to extend Cameron's contract, but there is undoubtedly a feelgood spirit about the place, due in large part to the extraordinary transformation of a shambolic, disinterested team into an outfit that's conceded one goal in 800-odd minutes and is probably the most in-form side in the league. A huge amount of credit goes to John Coughlin, and his players, who have clearly bought into his approach and it's delivering in spades.I liked Coff when he was first at shielfield; he was approachable, always had time for supporters, had a clear connection/affinity with the club and obviously, won us the league. But I'm always a bit circumspect about people returning. He's proving that fear to be misplaced, and then some, so plaudits to the board for their decision to award him a full-time 2 year deal. If the extra that it costs makes the difference between no-hopers and real contenders, then it's money well spent. Crowds are up, there's a buzz back at shielfield, and some genuine optimism about the future. I'm under no illusions about how tough it will be to rebuild the team for next season, but hopefully we can some of our best performers signed up to form the core of a team capable of contesting the title. Why not? The margins in quality between the teams from 1st - 9th are wafer thin.Because the team's playing so well, confirmation that John Bell will be chairman going forward is heartening too even though that decision has slipped below the radar because of what's happening on the pitch. I'm hopeful that that position won't

change when Brian Porteous steps down. It would be a foolish move to unseat John in the future, and my hope still is that John Bell becomes chairman of Berwick Rangers in time.The signage on the new stand looks good too. It all counts towards boosting the clubs image and getting more people through the turnstiles.As for players retention - I'd re-sign Fairbairn, Martin (signed), Crane (wishful thinking), McGregor, Notman, Graham, McKenna & Henderson. Possibly Wilson too. Time to say thanks and goodbye to McNeil, Lavery, Beveridge, Drummond, Coultress, Walker A, Walker K, Walters, Stevenson.

I'd sign the two centre halves that played in Poland, a few years back now, however they have quality written all over them, and trust me nothing will go past them that is made of bone!!!

Agree with most of what Red Mist has said but i'd be 50/50 on a few of the signings. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to re-sign McKenna.

35 appearances for Livi last season and I expected a decent player for this level. However, despite playing 32 of 33 games, he's only scored two goals. He's not been great from what i've seen all season but the last two weekends i've actually been close to tears over his performances.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy that McKenna has signed on the dotted line again. Not sure whether it's for one or two years - there were different versions at shielfield last night. He's improved hugely since Coff took over the reins, and if he can add more goals and a better final ball to his game he'll become a standout player in this division. Word at Gayfield on Saturday was that Dunfermline were speaking to McGregor. I'd love to see him and Crane back at Shielfield but suspect they'll both end up at a higher level. Stevie Notman was in the stand last night and I think he was speaking to Coff about a new contract too, though no smoke signals as yet. Edinburgh City supporter at thegame reckoned we were watching one of their players.

Archived