Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just placed £10 on Andy Burnham at 28/1 to be next leader. He boasts a strong support base within the PLP, his campaign was broadly perceived to be the closest alternative in substance to Corbyn's, and he still retains relative popularity among Labour voters who want Corbyn to go. It's very far from a certainty, but I think those odds represent good value.

If this were to come to fruition, however, I imagine he would be looking for a coronation, rather than competing in a third leadership election - and possibly suffering another defeat.

I've just placed £10 on Andy Burnham at 28/1 to be next leader. He boasts a strong support base within the PLP, his campaign was broadly perceived to be the closest alternative in substance to Corbyn's, and he still retains relative popularity among Labour voters who want Corbyn to go. It's very far from a certainty, but I think those odds represent good value.

If this were to come to fruition, however, I imagine he would be looking for a coronation, rather than competing in a third leadership election - and possibly suffering another defeat.

Having any of those who were roundly pasted by Corbyn slither back in after Corbyn is stabbed in the back (with an icicle made of his own incompetence rather than the traditional dagger) will help ensure that that figure loses the next election.

Right now I genuinely don't see the point in them binning Corbyn. No matter who they put in, the next election is lost (unless the Tories put forward an apparently now-sane Peter Sutcliffe). Might as well keep Corbyn around so they can at least blame him entirely for the loss rather than spreading the blame around.

Having any of those who were roundly pasted by Corbyn slither back in after Corbyn is stabbed in the back (with an icicle made of his own incompetence rather than the traditional dagger) will help ensure that that figure loses the next election.

Right now I genuinely don't see the point in them binning Corbyn. No matter who they put in, the next election is lost (unless the Tories put forward an apparently now-sane Peter Sutcliffe). Might as well keep Corbyn around so they can at least blame him entirely for the loss rather than spreading the blame around.

The most obvious argument for moving against Corbyn, even if the successor was an unsuccessful candidate against him over the summer, is that replacing him would be expected to minimise losses in 2020.

If Corbyn is retained until 2020, and, as expected, the result is disastrous for Labour, then his supporters will find somebody else to blame. It will be the fault of the media, the Blairites, or those MPs who refused to serve in his Shadow Cabinet. Under no circumstances, however, will such a result be evidence that the far-left is unelectable in Britain, or that Jeremy Corbyn was never a feasible candidate for Prime Minister. Then, if we've had deselections of sitting MPs, and the composition of the PLP has radically changed, another far-left candidate will access the ballot paper and the same cycle continues.

Moderates is being used to describe basically anyone to within the party to the right of Corbyn, not just Blairites.

Who decided this?

Labour spin doctors or a complicit media? There is a centre right narrative in this country that lampoons any alternative. It's one of the reasons Westminster is so out of touch with large swathes of Britain (especially up north).

Who decided this?

Labour spin doctors or a complicit media? There is a centre right narrative in this country that lampoons any alternative. It's one of the reasons Westminster is so out of touch with large swathes of Britain (especially up north).

As a moderate I am perfectly happy to be called a moderate.

I suppose you could call us social democrats if you prefer.

As a moderate I am perfectly happy to be called a moderate.

I suppose you could call us social democrats if you prefer.

I call Blairites centre right neoliberals.

I'm not entirely sure of your politics but a spade is a fucking shovel.

Out of interest, who in the PLP do you view as Blairites?

I'm in no way an expert but tristram hunt, tessa jowell, Alan Johnston (who dances a fine dance with the left but ultimately does nothing to rock the boat)...and countless others I can't think of.

Listening to the jargon of liz kendall a bit during the leadership campaign made me wonder if she was genuinely trolling the party.

I'm in no way an expert but tristram hunt, tessa jowell, Alan Johnston (who dances a fine dance with the left but ultimately does nothing to rock the boat)...and countless others I can't think of.

Listening to the jargon of liz kendall a bit during the leadership campaign made me wonder if she was genuinely trolling the party.

That's fair enough. Hunt, Jowell, Johnson and Kendall are all, to one extent or another, Blairites. Many others opposed to Corbyn's leadership though, like Yvette Cooper, don't feasibly qualify as Blairites under any circumstances, but do nonetheless qualify as moderates. I, for example, would label myself as a moderate, but I'm not a Blairite.

That's fair enough. Hunt, Jowell, Johnson and Kendall are all, to one extent or another, Blairites. Many others opposed to Corbyn's leadership though, like Yvette Cooper, don't feasibly qualify as Blairites under any circumstances, but do nonetheless qualify as moderates. I, for example, would label myself as a moderate, but I'm not a Blairite.

A moderate what?

According to Laura Kuenssberg:

@bbclaurak: PM urged his MPs not to "walk through the lobbies with Jeremy Corbyn and a bunch of terrorist sympathisers"

I'm no fan of Corbyn but bloody hell.

A step too far IMO.

According to Laura Kuenssberg:

@bbclaurak: PM urged his MPs not to "walk through the lobbies with Jeremy Corbyn and a bunch of terrorist sympathisers"

I'm no fan of Corbyn but bloody hell.

I sincerely doubt that comment will prove conducive to winning the support of undecided MPs. A silly remark, to say the least.

Archived