Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If a general election was a year away, then Labour should be rightly worried by these figures. However, Corbyn still has over 4 years to fix things and prove he's a viable alternative. He does have policies which will resonate with most people, but he's yet to make them clear as to what they are.

Until he makes it clear as to what these policies are, he may find it difficult for them to resonate with people, IMO.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thought that the Tories could be the dominant force in UK politics for the next 10 or 15 years gives me no cause to celebrate.

Even if our current understanding of 'UK politics' isn't completely reduntant in 10/15 years time - to the extent that the Tories are even more irrelevant in Scotland than they are now - I still couldn't care any less about this Jim Murphy shaped straw man.

Even if our current understanding of 'UK politics' isn't completely reduntant in 10/15 years time - to the extent that the Tories are even more irrelevant in Scotland than they are now - I still couldn't care any less about this Jim Murphy shaped straw man.

Agree with this. Labour in Scotland are in the state they're in (at least partly) because for too long they coasted along on the idea that people would vote for them no matter what because they were the only alternative to the Tories. They're not, and ghe don't deserve to be.

Agree completely. Corbyn needs to man up and be a leader.

I like Corbyn's policies (well, his personal ones - they haven't translates to party policy). I think Corbyn is a nice guy. I do *not* think he has the inclination or the ability to be a leader.

One thing that is seldom queried: Corbyn is universally accepted to be a man of principle. I accept that. But is he actually a talented or intelligent man? He has certainly made no waves in his decades in parliament, nor has he ever set the world alight with stirring oratory or analytical, academic discourse.

I wonder how many people support Corbyn's Labour because of what they take him to represent rather than out of any faith in his intelligence or ability.

I like Corbyn's policies (well, his personal ones - they haven't translates to party policy). I think Corbyn is a nice guy. I do *not* think he has the inclination or the ability to be a leader.

One thing that is seldom queried: Corbyn is universally accepted to be a man of principle. I accept that. But is he actually a talented or intelligent man? He has certainly made no waves in his decades in parliament, nor has he ever set the world alight with stirring oratory or analytical, academic discourse.

I wonder how many people support Corbyn's Labour because of what they take him to represent rather than out of any faith in his intelligence or ability.

Has he not spent most of his decades in parliament being a pain in the behind to anyone on the front benches? Boot well and truly on the other foot now.

Corbyn should sack any shadow cabinet members who support air strikes in Syria. If he doesn't his position will just continue to be undermined.

That would be fine if he were proposing an alternative - all I can see is that he is opposing military action full stop.

It's a position that's going to damage Labour (if that were possible!!) even more.

It's like he's still playing the role of oppositionalist instead of being a leader.

I got an email last night asking for my opinions on Syria. Corbyn wrote that he is opposed but would like to consult members. Interestingly a lot of members seem to not have received the emails, and they all seem to be members from wings of the party not overly fond of Corbyn. There have also been mutterings about some members not receiving emails from CLPs recently. Can't help but think that these are just coincidences and nothing sinister. I can't really see them vetting email addresses to ensure moderates don't get the Syria email. Still seems like this is going to be a disaster for Corbyn. The two Labour MPs I've spoken to recently (both admittedly firmly in the New Labour camp, though one was opposed to the Iraq war) have implied they will likely vote for air strikes in Syria. This seems to chime with what others are saying and what the media are reporting.

The odds for Jeremy Corbyn to stop being leader of the party in 2015 have gone from 11/1 to 5/1 in the space of two days. Not sure if I can see him gone before New Year's Day but it's looking increasingly like his days are numbered.

And when the day finally comes, the Labour party will need to find another excuse to figure out why they're up shit creek, instead of looking within and figuring it out. Not much chance of that ever happening though.

On the bright side some Labour mps will have loads of bombing campaigns to put on there "weapons of mass destruction only 45 mins away" cvs

That would be fine if he were proposing an alternative - all I can see is that he is opposing military action full stop.

It's a position that's going to damage Labour (if that were possible!!) even more.

It's like he's still playing the role of oppositionalist instead of being a leader.

You may be correct but who is less of a 'leader', someone opposing air strikes without an alternative or someone supporting air strikes because it's populist but without any thought to the end game?

There would be a lot more support for air strikes if it was part of an overall plan to address the situation in Syria. But there is no overall plan.

Good post. I kind of thought he was the wrong person to promote that kind of politics. Someone younger and more charismatic and I don't think we'd be seeing these problems.

And so it begins:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/labour-mps-call-on-jeremy-corbyn-to-quit-1-3960576

LABOUR MPs yesterday called for Jeremy Corbyn’s resignation as anger grew over his handling of the Syrian airstrikes vote and the deep divisions exposed in the party over the issue....

In another six months, I suspect he will either be gone or we will be seeing a second SDP style breakaway unfolding.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: “How does Jeremy Corbyn and his small group of tiny Trots in the bunker think they’ve got the unique view on it all?

Labour are a shambles here. Surely there will be huge anger from the grassroots if Corbyn is forced out seen as they voted so heavily in favour of him. Will we see a mass of memberships being cancelled? Or will they just jump back on the Blairite bus?

And so it begins:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/labour-mps-call-on-jeremy-corbyn-to-quit-1-3960576

LABOUR MPs yesterday called for Jeremy Corbyns resignation as anger grew over his handling of the Syrian airstrikes vote and the deep divisions exposed in the party over the issue....

In another six months, I suspect he will either be gone or we will be seeing a second SDP style breakaway unfolding.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: How does Jeremy Corbyn and his small group of tiny Trots in the bunker think theyve got the unique view on it all?

What made John Spellar join the Labour Party if he so dislikes tiny groups of "Trots"?

What we're seeing here is a struggle for ownership of the Labour Party between the left and right wing members, supporters and parliamentarians.

Good post. I kind of thought he was the wrong person to promote that kind of politics. Someone younger and more charismatic and I don't think we'd be seeing these problems.

Sad but true - although I think even an older politician with charisma and a proven record of intelligence and genuine insight would do. As I said, I quite like Corbyn, but I think he has more principles than he does intelligence (c.f. some of his thoughtless statements which indicate a heart in the right place but no common sense). He's a totemic figure rather than a useful or effective one IMO.

Archived