The Montrose Thread

With January transfer window looming have heard we are in for Kerr hay from forfar not sure if it's on loan or permanent. Also heard we are after another winger aswell, with a couple of our players going out on loan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Good to see the Mo getting a couple of results although very early days the appointment of SP is looking a good one. Good luck against Angus's BIG team :rolleyes: 

Think you mean Angus's Biggest team, just shows that possibly Montrose were just in need of proper coaching

Missed the game at Gayfield today but happy with a point. Even happier that by all accounts we performed well enough to earn the point. The Smokies are I think deservedly in the play off race but really Elgin are the only team in the division so far who have taken us to the cleaners. SP looks to have steadied the ship and got everybody working for each other i.e. attacking as a team, defending as a team. The main thing is that we beat or at least don't lose against the dross teams below us home or away and compete against the teams at the top starting with Elgin next week where a point would be good progress I think. With the right mindset going into games now there is no reason we can't win more than we lose.

It's nice to see immediate progress under a manager who thinks about the game and sets teams up well (so far anyway).
Early days with only 4 games gone but previously it just seemed that 11 players were put on the pitch with no coherent plan. Players in odd positions or left out. What a difference from Turriff away when I stood there wondering why Paul Watson was warming the bench when he was obviously needed on the park.
Biggest change is at the back with a keeper that gives confidence to the defence. Happy with the start but cautious as we have been kicked in the balls plenty times before when we think things are starting to turn.

I think the biggest change is the way we are getting the ball down and playing. I always said that if Ryan got a decent run in the team you would see him improve every game. The defence has been excellent and putting Millar back in has gave them the confidence. Still can't work out why he was dropped by heggs

It'll be a huge test for us against Elgin this Saturday but what better way to prove we are on the up. The lads must be up for it though and not fall flat after the Gayfield effort. If it's a decent day we might get a decent crowd at LP so that's another reason to put on a good show. I'm hoping to make the long journey up but hate the dark nights on the way back especially if we get stuffed as we did against Elgin last time. We can do it but everybody must be on their game.

Based on the whole one time I've seen him, he looks a decent enough player. Not someone who is gonna do loads of running around and charge into challenges, but sits deep and attempts to dictate play. Should be a good move for both him and us.

On 04/01/2017 at 05:53, MOFOREVER said:

It'll be a huge test for us against Elgin this Saturday but what better way to prove we are on the up. The lads must be up for it though and not fall flat after the Gayfield effort. If it's a decent day we might get a decent crowd at LP so that's another reason to put on a good show. I'm hoping to make the long journey up but hate the dark nights on the way back especially if we get stuffed as we did against Elgin last time. We can do it but everybody must be on their game.

Fail? 

Striker and a left winger is what we are needing. I would think court will be back to raith rovers soon and replaced with another striker. I like big Templeman but he is past it would rather him coming on the last 20 mins to cause problems. He will still take a goal which is good just not mobile enough now and would be a better impact sub.

11 hours ago, Brummo said:

Fail? 

Agreed. Thought we competed well until Elgin got their first scrappy goal. We had to score next but never really looked dangerous. Our problem is scoring or even possessing enough threat up front. That has to be SP's priority. I reckon we could be OK in defence and midfield and young Cammy at RB gets better all the time with his attacking mindset. I still think we have enough to beat or scrap points off half the teams in this league who don't have a striker of the quality of Shane Sutherland but it's no good me thinking that, the lads out there need to do it. 

9 hours ago, mo83 said:

Striker and a left winger is what we are needing. I would think court will be back to raith rovers soon and replaced with another striker. I like big Templeman but he is past it would rather him coming on the last 20 mins to cause problems. He will still take a goal which is good just not mobile enough now and would be a better impact sub.

Agreed, although Ferguson is getting better. Problem is as you indicated there is not enough quality in the box to convert crosses. I also thought yesterday that we weren't getting bodies forward quickly enough when we did attack and as a result never won any second balls. That's criminal as I see it. Elgin defenders were clearing it easily and we had nobody far enough up to get on the end of one or two poor clearances to the edge of the box. Still, we were beaten by a better side and there is a definite improvement overall.

Big improvements as you said despite a defeat at least their was a bit of dig right the way to full time. Hopefully a few players will come in this week.

Brilliant news we have Cammy ballantyne till the end of the season also came on leaps and bounds under sp.

Archived