Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Aye it's done now. That was pathetic yesterday and should be the manager's last game in charge.

You never want to see a guy lose his job but we are an incohesive shambles of a team and that lies squarely at the manager's door. The objective to win, or even challenge, for the league is long gone and has no chance of being resurrected so let's just make the necessary change. 

The same nonsense is still happening a year on. Awful goalkeeper, a central midfield fit for walking football and constant chopping and changing of personnel and formation with no identity as a football team.

Followed the team through thick and thin for over 50+years. Had really high hopes that this season was going to be the one.

Will I ever see the team finish as champions?

Now seriously thinking about not going back until Swift is gone, but that is dangerous as once you find something else to occupy your time then football no longer becomes the attraction or habit it once was.

Swift talks a good game but his failings are plain for all to see and his time must surely be up. Let’s just see how ambitious the board are.

I'm on the fence regarding Swift's position.

It's frustrating that we can't build form and maintain it. The inconsistency in form is being compounded by injuries and the failures of the Brown and Bryson signings. Our defensive play is lacking and sometimes I just wish I saw some passion from Swift. 

That being said, I'm looking more at those on the pitch. Forbes, Higgins and Brennan could all leave in January for my liking and not be missed. We all know Forbes's qualities and weaknesses but his defensive work is costing us. Against Albion Rovers, it was costly. The amount of times a defender was pulled forward due to Forbes's defensive lapses or a cross was allowed into the box was far too often. 

Would be great if we could just replace these players, however I also don't know if bringing in a new coach would improve them or their performances, many have tried with Forbes. The other two just don't have enough to improve, I feel.

I still think Swift would get more success if he would allow the players to play to their strengths. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an all out attack line-up : Brennan, Yeats, Crighton, Jamieson, Corbett, Brown, Miller, O'Reilly, Sewell, Yates and Orr. F*** it, our team is almost made for countering and high press, why not try it. If our defence is that shite, try to keep the ball at the other end of the park instead of asking them to to play it out and pass it around. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

There's a couple of points in there that I disagree with there. Stephen Swift can sometimes come across as aloof and hasn't done much to engage with supporters but I don't think he can be accused of lacking passion. It's quite clear he cares about this team and he's working hard to address his side's weaknesses and find solutions to our ongoing problems. (Admittedly, these are problems of his own making, but still.)

Ross Forbes has actually been alright in recent matches but it's glaringly obvious he doesn't have the legs or the willingness to get around the pitch. So to pair him in central midfield with Nat Wedderburn, another player who doesn't have the legs or the willingness to get around the pitch, is incredible. The pair offer very little without the ball and in the second half against East Fife, for example, we were exposed through the middle numerous times whenever we lost possession and the game turned over. Who's responsible for selecting these players?

We've used five goalkeepers under Swift and, with the exception of Peter Urminsky, they've all been dreadful. Conor Brennan is probably the best of a bad bunch by virtue of his ability to "make saves" but he can't command his area, he can't deal with set-pieces and his distribution is poor. After last year's travails, we knew we had to come into the new season with an outstanding number 1; my heart sank when Brennan was the first signing of the summer. Who's responsible for bringing in these goalies?

I also disagree with your final point about a possible gung-ho team selection. The XI lacks balance as it is, and that's in a much more orthodox set-up; I'd hate to think  how many goals we'd ship in your attacking 4-2-4!

I'm on the fence regarding Swift's position.
It's frustrating that we can't build form and maintain it. The inconsistency in form is being compounded by injuries and the failures of the Brown and Bryson signings. Our defensive play is lacking and sometimes I just wish I saw some passion from Swift. 
That being said, I'm looking more at those on the pitch. Forbes, Higgins and Brennan could all leave in January for my liking and not be missed. We all know Forbes's qualities and weaknesses but his defensive work is costing us. Against Albion Rovers, it was costly. The amount of times a defender was pulled forward due to Forbes's defensive lapses or a cross was allowed into the box was far too often. 
Would be great if we could just replace these players, however I also don't know if bringing in a new coach would improve them or their performances, many have tried with Forbes. The other two just don't have enough to improve, I feel.
I still think Swift would get more success if he would allow the players to play to their strengths. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an all out attack line-up : Brennan, Yeats, Crighton, Jamieson, Corbett, Brown, Miller, O'Reilly, Sewell, Yates and Orr. F*** it, our team is almost made for countering and high press, why not try it. If our defence is that shite, try to keep the ball at the other end of the park instead of asking them to to play it out and pass it around. 
You seem to overlook the fact the players you have pointed out to give swift some slack are his signings. He has not proven in any way he is capable of bringing us success & I will be very disappointed if he is not gone this week.

We have some very good players, so will win games at times, and whether he is there or not I fully expect to beat a poor B Rose team on our pitch but let's be clear that in no way is a turn around.

49 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There's a couple of points in there that I disagree with there. Stephen Swift can sometimes come across as aloof and hasn't done much to engage with supporters but I don't think he can be accused of lacking passion. It's quite clear he cares about this team and he's working hard to address his side's weaknesses and find solutions to our ongoing problems. (Admittedly, these are problems of his own making, but still.)

Ross Forbes has actually been alright in recent matches but it's glaringly obvious he doesn't have the legs or the willingness to get around the pitch. So to pair him in central midfield with Nat Wedderburn, another player who doesn't have the legs or the willingness to get around the pitch, is incredible. The pair offer very little without the ball and in the second half against East Fife, for example, we were exposed through the middle numerous times whenever we lost possession and the game turned over. Who's responsible for selecting these players?

We've used five goalkeepers under Swift and, with the exception of Peter Urminsky, they've all been dreadful. Conor Brennan is probably the best of a bad bunch by virtue of his ability to "make saves" but he can't command his area, he can't deal with set-pieces and his distribution is poor. After last year's travails, we knew we had to come into the new season with an outstanding number 1; my heart sank when Brennan was the first signing of the summer. Who's responsible for bringing in these goalies?

I also disagree with your final point about a possible gung-ho team selection. The XI lacks balance as it is, and that's in a much more orthodox set-up; I'd hate to think  how many goals we'd ship in your attacking 4-2-4!

😅😅 Probably a lot of goals, especially with our friend Brennan in goals but we'd probably score a shed load as well.  I guess it could be labelled a 'Postecoglu philosophy', our forwards are better than your defenders, so we'll try to constantly press and attack your back line until we're gubbed 😅 . I think we play our best football countering and going forward with pace and we should play to our best players strengths, in my opinion.

Forbes just gives up way too much space and allows far too many crosses past him. Agreed with what you've said regarding Forbes and Wedderburn. It should never happen but for me, it should just be Wedderburn on the park. At least he gives effort, has a good pass completion rate and links up the play well. Yes, he isn't very agile, is played around but he is commanding and a handful to play against with his size and strength. Offers something different. 

Swift has it tough regarding his selection, as we know. There's not a great deal of depth or quality sitting on that bench. Anderson has been way off it this season when given minutes and Joesph needs to mature his game in the lower leagues. Orr is out of form and Walker has been average to poor. So what option does Swift other than rotate some of the players, shape and formation? The overall philosophy stays the same with Forbes the playmaker, that's the issue for me.

As for goalies, I can't argue with you there. Absolute shocking signings and whoever recruited them needs to be ignored in that regard. Brennan is a disaster and his decision making is baffling. 

I agree with you there, to an extent. How does that passion transgress onto the pitch though? Swift is passionate about his football and ideals, what he expects etc but I'm not sure if he's getting the passion for winning or for the club itself over to all of the players. We had a sense of that last season and into this season but it seems to feel a bit flat now. Walker walking off pissing himself laughing against Stirling Albion or whoever it was we lost too, summed it up for me. To many players seem zoned out or drifting through games. I'm not watching Swift's every movement in the technical area but it seems a bit muted and he needs to engage more with the fans. 

2 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

You seem to overlook the fact the players you have pointed out to give swift some slack are his signings. He has not proven in any way he is capable of bringing us success & I will be very disappointed if he is not gone this week.

We have some very good players, so will win games at times, and whether he is there or not I fully expect to beat a poor B Rose team on our pitch but let's be clear that in no way is a turn around.

Are they all his signings? What is Martin Christie's role and the scouting network? Can we blame Swift solely for recruitment? I don't know if we can. 

We had a decent wee run of form and got ourselves from bottom into the top 3. We're more than capable of beating any team in this league, with Swift as gaffer. Our league has 10 teams all around the same level. Albion Rovers just beat Stirling, who's wee run of form seems to be turning cold. It happens. 

Pardon my intrusion but the mention of a few former Sons players piqued my interest.

Two seasons back I watched Ross Forbes give a 45-minute masterclass in passing and dead ball delivery in a play-off win over the then Edinburgh City.  I said at the time that would be a fitting swansong for his senior career, never thinking that he would remain playing at this level today.  But here we are.

Big Nat is a more physical but still very perceptive type of midfielder of proven pedigree, but like Ross, shorn of pace his effectiveness is noticeably diminished.  Pair the two of them and there are hard yards aplenty for team-mates.

As for Connor Brennan, he was superficially competent but never convincing at the Rock.  He was one of several such flaky keepers, and the presence of Brett Long this season has reminded us of what a difference a decent goalie makes, not only performance-wise but also instilling confidence in the defence.

I still expect Stenny to be in the mix come May, but maybe hard calls need to be made to ensure that.

Are they all his signings? What is Martin Christie's role and the scouting network? Can we blame Swift solely for recruitment? I don't know if we can. 
We had a decent wee run of form and got ourselves from bottom into the top 3. We're more than capable of beating any team in this league, with Swift as gaffer. Our league has 10 teams all around the same level. Albion Rovers just beat Stirling, who's wee run of form seems to be turning cold. It happens. 
Deary me

I watched back Stephen Swift's interview following today's game against Bonnyrigg Rose and found it remarkable. 

"We're only two points off third and one point off fourth," he told Warriors TV. "I'm pretty sure with a couple of wins we'll see ourselves in a good position in the league." Our expectations for the season have been stealthily downgraded, from title challengers to play-off hopefuls, and that a top-four finish should be acceptable, despite the outlay on the squad. I also found Adam Brown saying in his post-match interview "the team showed great character to come away without getting beat" bizarre too and it feels like I'm being gaslit here and tricked into thinking I'm incorrect for believing we could have won the division.

What a laugh this season's been, well and truly.

Yeah the interview was quite something. #this is our year to like you say shouting about being a few pts from 3rd as we sit 5th. 13pts off top, 10ts off second and only 7pts off bottom. The mumblings of a desperate guy clinging onto any sort of "positive"

He asked the more vocal fans to back his management team the next few weeks, but it's too late as far as I'm concerned. If he stays we will win a few games, maybe go on a few wee runs as we have seen in past but as has been shown time & time again we ain't got it under this manager. I don't want to be proved wrong. I just want this finished and a fresh start with what I do still believe is a capable squad.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

The interview was a man clutching at straws. If he thinks the majority of fans are behind him and his management team then he is sadly deluded.

Let's see if the board have the balls to act this week.

I've no doubt that Stephen Swift will back himself and believes he can pull Stenhousemuir out of this tailspin and get the team back on track, but he must be one of the very few people who does. From the punters I've spoken to - my own friends, patrons in the Wee Bar, people in the ground, posters on this forum and on social media - everyone's in broad agreement that something needs to change.

What was that hashtag again? Was it #thisisouryear?

edited to add - or was it #thisisourtime? Genuine question FWIW. I do want to rip the c**t but I can’t remember the hashtag and cant seem to be able to find any trace on Twitter. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What was that hashtag again? Was it #thisisouryear?

edited to add - or was it #thisisourtime? Genuine question FWIW. I do want to rip the c**t but I can’t remember the hashtag and cant seem to be able to find any trace on Twitter. 

After the overwhelmingly positive response on social media to the signing of Craig Bryson, someone in our media team got a little carried away and tweeted "#thisisouryear".

It was subsequently deleted shortly afterwards following a small backlash. And just as well! Ay caramba!

Took a quick scan of our league games this season. By my reckoning we’ve come away from a game twice having witnessed anything approaching a performance from a team you might expect to go on and challenge for the title. (Bearing in mind this is a team most expected to, eh, challenge for the title) Away at Forfar and Bonnyrigg. Maybe you could throw in the win at East Fife.

Meanwhile we’ve taken 4 points from Albion Rovers which could easily have been none, kept one clean sheet, defended in panic station mode every week, made two disastrous marquee signings, are back to living in fear of relegation and generally looked as bad as we ever have done.

Could continue “as is” and finish maybe just outside the play off positions (take your pick as to which play off that is) or get a manager who can get the best out of what is unarguably a talented group of players. Neither Stirling or Dumbarton are out of reach if a team can put together a decent run. We still have to play Dumbo 3 times.