Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

Out of interest, does anyone know what the record consecutive number of wins is for League Two / Third Division?

I'm not enough of a statto to  know this kind of information but I think it might have been Gretna in 2004/05 - they won 14 games on the bounce over the latter half of the season, having won 13 games in a row earlier in the campaign. Rangers won 11 consecutive games in 2012/13 (and that was part of a 20-game unbeaten streak).

All three runs were in the old Third Division. Unless anyone knows any better, Stenhousemuir's nine wins in a row could be a League 2 record.

Regardless, it's an incredible feat and everyone should be delighted with it. It really is boom time!

I thought Gretna had done 14 twice that season? Maybe one of the earlier run was a cup win?

Either way, i think 14 will be the highest, without having a deep dive i can't think of that having been bettered in L2/3rd Div

East Kilbride won 30 straight in the Lowland League in 2016 and claimed a world record at the time, but that was across 15/16 & 16/17 i think so obviously was helped by no promotion. Perhaps East Stirling fans can tell us more about that, that was the year they moved into their new permanent division so witnessed the feat at close quarters!

If a team was posting those numbers in L2/3rd Div they're obviously not going to be around for a second dip at the total the following season. So for form's sake i think considerations should be kept to single season totals! 

@craigkillie

Edited by Christophe

Gretna's 14 in a row is indeed the all-time fourth tier record. Since the SPFL merger in 2013, the only other team to reach 9 in a row were Queen's Park in 2020/21.

If the Warriors win their next game, it would be just the 8th time a team has put together a double-figure winning streak at this level - here's a complete list of all winning runs of 9 games or longer. (Note that Dumbarton's listed streak here is a bit of an anomaly in that it includes their last 3 games of their promotion campaign in 2008/09, and then their first 7 games of last season, since these were their next games at this level.)

image.png.c686e6dda5b781818a0899e0436d2cc7.png

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Gretna's 14 in a row is indeed the all-time fourth tier record. Since the SPFL merger in 2013, the only other team to reach 9 in a row were Queen's Park in 2020/21.

If the Warriors win their next game, it would be just the 8th time a team has put together a double-figure winning streak at this level - here's a complete list of all winning runs of 9 games or longer. (Note that Dumbarton's listed streak here is a bit of an anomaly in that it includes their last 3 games of their promotion campaign in 2008/09, and then their first 7 games of last season, since these were their next games at this level.)

image.png.c686e6dda5b781818a0899e0436d2cc7.png

great stats. do you know what the longest winning run is over the 4 spfl tiers and how 9 compares

The all-time record for Scottish League football (1890-present) is 25 wins, set by Morton between May 1963 and April 1964 in the second tier (of two) and then equalled by Celtic between August 2003 and February 2004. In total there have been 105 runs of 10 or more consecutive wins, and 46 of those have been by non-Old Firm clubs.

The record in the SPFL era (2013 onwards) is 22, which was set by Celtic between September 2016 and March 2017. However, Stenhousemuir's 9 consecutive wins equalled the record for a non-Old Firm club in that era - 9 wins in a row was also achieved by Hearts (Jan-Mar 2015), Livingston (Mar-May 2017), Dundee United (Oct-Dec 2019), Cove Rangers (Feb-Nov 2020), Queen's Park (Dec 2020-Apr 2021) and Cove Rangers again (Nov 2021-Jan 2022).

Edited by craigkillie

All hail The King!

Been a revelation for us really and another one nailed down for next season.

Our main strength is our togetherness and collective will so the more the merrier to keep this band together and let them have a go in League One if/when it happens. 

Fair play to Marry Aitken - I didn't expect much from him and I was a little confused when Gary Naysmith talked about so highly, but he's doing us a very good turn at the moment. He's scoring a lot of goals and he's integral to how the team plays.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The all-time record for Scottish League football (1890-present) is 25 wins, set by Morton between May 1963 and April 1964 in the second tier (of two) and then equalled by Celtic between August 2003 and February 2004. In total there have been 105 runs of 10 or more consecutive wins, and 46 of those have been by non-Old Firm clubs.

The record in the SPFL era (2013 onwards) is 22, which was set by Celtic between September 2016 and March 2017. However, Stenhousemuir's 9 wins in a row equalled record for a non-Old Firm club in that era - 9 wins in a row was also achieved by Hearts (Jan-Mar 2015), Livingston (Mar-May 2017), Dundee United (Oct-Dec 2019), Cove Rangers (Feb-Nov 2020), Queen's Park (Dec 2020-Apr 2021) and Cove Rangers again (Nov 2021-Jan 2022).

impressive stats once again, thanks craigkillie

Having seen Bradley Rodden last year for Alloa I think he’d be quite a shrewd addition for Stenhousemuir. He may be a bit unorthodox but he can certainly finish. You’d imagine he’d get a few goals in an already successful team.

3 hours ago, Replays said:

Having seen Bradley Rodden last year for Alloa I think he’d be quite a shrewd addition for Stenhousemuir. He may be a bit unorthodox but he can certainly finish. You’d imagine he’d get a few goals in an already successful team.

He runs around a lot and will have a shot if he gets on the ball near goal. It is unorthodox but the general chaos can unsettle defences. Flipside is that it also unsettles his own team and he tended to struggle when he started, which probably wasn't a great surprise for a player who had been plucked from 3 tiers below. Your best bet is probably to unleash him for the last 20 mins or so and hope his pace and enthusiasm can bring a few goals. 

I come in peace. Not being a p***k, just checking. Am I right in thinking that come about mid March Stenhousemuir will win their first ever League title?

2 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

I come in peace. Not being a p***k, just checking. Am I right in thinking that come about mid March Stenhousemuir will win their first ever League title?

If I was looking at an identical league table not involving us I'd be thinking of the team at the top 'they've won that already'.

However, the no league title in our history weighs heavy. Most other generic League 2/bottom half League 1 teams have a title or two in the last 15/20 years and so have some muscle memory of success so are more inclined to think they can do it again.

We've got a huge next 4 games in which we play Spartans, Dumbarton and Peterhead. If we come through that (plus others catch up games in hand) with a healthy lead then maybe I'll start to believe!

Congratulations to Euan O'Reilly on his 100th appearance for Stenhousemuir. O'Reilly is one of my favourite players at the club and one of the most destructive wingers in the division on his day. He's a thoroughly nice guy too and I'm proud he's representing my team.

Also, the camaraderie amongst this squad is terrific too. Whenever we score, all 10 outfield players celebrate together, and it's heartening to see. I'm a big mark for players celebrating in front of the Norway Stand and big Nicky Jamieson running towards the support yesterday, while Ross Meechan and Adam Brown fist-pump, was the high point of the game.

What a group!

On 02/01/2024 at 20:11, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think this might have been brought up on our most recent matchday thread but it's probably more appropriate for discussion here: three players' agreements are up very shortly - Marley Sweenie-Rowe, Mark Ferrie and Zak McKay. Sweenie-Rowe and Ferrie are both on loan while McKay signed a short-term contract in October.

Both loan players should probably return to their parent clubs. Sweenie-Rowe hasn't impressed me at all and might benefit from a loan even further down the food chain a little closer to Dundee, while Ferrie has barely played and I can't imagine it's been a worthwhile experience for him or for Motherwell. Given Aitken's form at the moment, it's difficult for another striker to get into the starting XI, but even when he has featured, I haven't seen enough from him (he looked alright against Elgin City, right enough).

I reckon I've seen McKay for a total of 10 minutes across a handful of appearances but he seems like a decent, low-cost, low-maintenance squad player and is worth keeping on for those attributes alone.

The club announced earlier this morning that Mark Ferrie, Marley Sweenie-Rowe and Zak McKay have all departed.

I wish the three of them well for the future.