Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

23 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Warriors live on the box tonight. 

Fourth time in our history I think?

Rangers Challenge Cup Semi 

Away to Airdrie (random League 1 game for some reason?!) 

TNS Challenge Cup game 

Have I missed any?

To be pedantic, unless I've missed something, you're not on the box tonight? Hibs v Queens Park is the televised game tonight isn't it?

Your game is available to stream on Premier Sports website which isn't really any different to the presumably couple of seasons worth of streaming you did 2020/21 &  2021/22.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be pedantic, unless I've missed something, you're not on the box tonight? Hibs v Queens Park is the televised game tonight isn't it?

Your game is available to stream on Premier Sports website which isn't really any different to the presumably couple of seasons worth of streaming you did 2020/21 &  2021/22.

Ah didn't realise, presumed the multiple games might have been behind red button or so, which I'd have counted. Streaming only, not so much! 

Good evening, Warrior fans! We took a bit of a chasing tonight at Tannadice, going down 3-0 to Dundee United, but, on the whole, we should be reasonably content with our efforts. We ran hard, did our best to match them and popped the ball around well enough at points without ever threatening. I thought Kinlay Bilham and James Berry showed up quite well and Kyle Jacobs had some nice touches after coming on midway through the second half. Darren Jamieson was probably our best player, however, and contributed some nice saves at points; he probably made the scoreline more respectable than it should have been.

The goals we lost were avoidable, the second and third in particular, and there's still a bit of rust to shake off, but that was a good workout all the same. I'm looking forward to the game with Falkirk this time next week. I'll see you there!

Strain ruined us and their quality in passing, movement and ball retention really highlighted the difference between the sides. Strain did get booked for an elaborate blatant dive in the first half.

Second goal, Nicky miss times his jump for the clearing header and the third goal seemed to be a bit of a calamity. 

Aitken, playing against much better centre backs, but never really seemed interested and didn't contest many headers or work the defenders. Thought he'd have been up for giving a bit of a showing for himself against Premier league opposition.

Team played a lot better switching to the recognised back 4. Bilham, Buchanan and Meechan both had good games but Mikey Anderson, especially in the second half, had a solid performance and DJ was brilliant. 

We had a shout for a penalty in the second half, thought the ref had gave it but play continued.

Decent run out in poor conditions. 

Utd were at it from the start and never really allowed us to breathe . Could have defended the set pieces better but thought the sharpness of full time top league players showed overall . 
2nd half was better and thought subs made a big difference that gave us a bit more going forward . 
More minutes in the legs and hopefully no more injuries as we move on to next Tuesday .

I felt overall the boys can be proud of their performance last night. I reckon in the second half we looked a bit more of a threat in an attacking sense and the back 4 looked more solid too.

I had a chuckle when Watt came on for them - he clearly looked like he was in a huff and his display backed that up.

Looking forward to the next 2 games.

16 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Strain ruined us and their quality in passing, movement and ball retention really highlighted the difference between the sides. Strain did get booked for an elaborate blatant dive in the first half.

Second goal, Nicky miss times his jump for the clearing header and the third goal seemed to be a bit of a calamity. 

Aitken, playing against much better centre backs, but never really seemed interested and didn't contest many headers or work the defenders. Thought he'd have been up for giving a bit of a showing for himself against Premier league opposition.

Team played a lot better switching to the recognised back 4. Bilham, Buchanan and Meechan both had good games but Mikey Anderson, especially in the second half, had a solid performance and DJ was brilliant. 

We had a shout for a penalty in the second half, thought the ref had gave it but play continued.

Decent run out in poor conditions. 

A decent summary but I couldn't disagree more regarding Matty Aitken. He competed really well and gave as good as he got before tiring later in the game. That was a monster shift he put in if you watch him closely he barely stopped the full game - I was knackered just watching him.

Good workout for us and we will get more from that fitness wise than we did on Saturday which will stand us in good stead. I was a little disappointed Matty and Ross never started but we have to be realistic and share the game time around. It was clear to see when those two and Meechs were on the pitch we looked a better unit and carried more of a threat.

Plenty of positives to take forward. Ky back in the squad done well when he came on, James Berry had one of his best games for us and Kyle Banner again looks a right good addition.

Hopefully the wait for quality late in the window bares fruit for Gary and we can add a few more players and we should be in for a decent season.

I managed to squeeze last night's game in, attending as a neutral during a short break.   I have never watched Stenny before and enjoyed the fact that you were trying to play some football.  The last ten minutes was very easy on the eye.  Enjoy your adventures, this season.

Looking forward to the match tomorrow after the free day on Sat .

Strong team or do we see more rotation . Ayr seem to think they are now Real Madrid and can rest players against Stenny looking at their comments .

Back to a back 4 for me with Meeks back in there and depending on Nicky’s fitness it’s a toss up with him and Banner who has been good at centre back so far . 

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It doesn't look like it. Seems a bit strange as we did one for the Buckie game.

It's set up on the system, but I'm not sure why it's not been set up on https://www.warriorstv.co.uk/

It's not one of the Premier Sports streamed games tonight is it ? That's the only reason I can think of it not being available. 

15 hours ago, Ataboy said:

Looking forward to the match tomorrow after the free day on Sat .

Strong team or do we see more rotation . Ayr seem to think they are now Real Madrid and can rest players against Stenny looking at their comments .

Back to a back 4 for me with Meeks back in there and depending on Nicky’s fitness it’s a toss up with him and Banner who has been good at centre back so far . 

Definitely go back to 4 defenders. Banner has been decent in the games I've saw him, comfortable on the ball too.  

Would like to see Taylor and Yates start too. With Jacobs beside Anderson in the middle of the park. 

Is O'Reilly fit? 

Stenhousemuir lost 4-1 this evening to Ayr United at Ochilview in their third League Cup group stage fixture. Despite taking the lead after six minutes courtesy of Ross Taylor, George Oakley equalised almost immediately before Frankie Musonda, Anton Dowds and Jay Henderson gave the visitors a deserved victory. Ayr really looked the part, especially in the first half, and I was impressed by their physicality, speed on the ball, and their tactical inventiveness - Musonda was their nominal left-back but must have spent more time in central midfield; how on earth he found himself inside the penalty box to crash home his goal, I do not know. The Honest Men will go onto have a good season and it is fortunate we're unlikely to take on a team of the same calibre again this season.

Stenny's performance was a mixed bag. We defended cross balls and set-pieces poorly - Ayr's four goals came from headers! I've never seen the like before! - and I was aghast at the number of times the opposition had free headers inside crowded penalty boxes. Given that we lost three goals at Tannadice in similar circumstances, it's a worrying trend and it needs addressed before it becomes an issue. Curtis Lyle could maybe have commanded his area a little better (something that's probably of little consequence given Darren Jamieson will play ahead of him when the league campaign commences), Adam Brown seemed to let the game pass him by until his removal at the interval, and Nat Wedderburn looked a bit overwhelmed by how fast the ball moved around him. Nicky Jamieson hobbled off after four minutes and it looks like he's tweaked his hamstring again. Was this the same injury that kept him out at the tail end of last season? I hope he's back in action very soon.

On a more positive note, I thought Mikey Anderson was our best player, doing his best to break up play and move the ball forward, while Matty Yates and Matty Aitken were not too far behind. Fair playing to the big striker, he really put himself about tonight against two strong centre-backs, and did his best to hold up play. A hard shift for him.

The League Cup has gone as I expected: we comfortably beat the Highland League side while being shown up a little against the full-time sides. I hope we can get something from Falkirk on Saturday but I'm expecting the worst. We've had a good run out, nevertheless, and we should be in good nick for the opening game of the season, which is probably the main thing.

I didn't enjoy that last night. We were lucky we didn't get a real doing. Add in  Nicky Jamieson injury and it was a bad night. 

Mikey Anderson was excellent but the game passed Nat Wedderburn by. The two Mattys battled gainfully and I thought Banner looked decent, but other than that we were given the run around.

Just want Saturday out of the way.

Whilst that was one of Aitken's better performances and he worked their CB's quite well but I lost count of the times Yates and Taylor had to go beyond him to press the defenders. Aitken just won't press the ball effectively nor limit the space, it's just a saunter. I don't see the work rate. Yates worked himself into the ground and was quite verbal in showing his frustrations. 

Maybe it's just frustration gets to me but Meechan's pass from the right hand side into the 6 yard box, was hit early but it's a pass a striker will love. Aitken didn't even gamble and was still at the 18 yard box. He should bursting his baws to get in there. 

A player that some seem to love, hopefully he can get his confidence back soon but I think we desperately need another striker brought in. 

Fully agree with the Ayr physicality and determination, they were first to pretty much every second ball. 

Very composed at times too and their players were constantly pushing each other forward. Thought they were brilliant. 

Mikey Anderson was tremendous for us. Another solid performance and for me, showed that he's more than capable of playing in the Championship.

Was sat next to John McGlynn for most of the game. He was certainly impressed by Ayr too. Also, hats off to Scott Brown. Took time to talk, take photos and shake hands with a queue of people after the game. Gid to see things like that in the game. 

Ayr certainly looked the part last night, closed us down very quickly and were physically strong.  Their actions prevented us playing out from the back as normal.  Losing 4 goals to headers has alarm bells ringing and the game seemed too fast for Wedderburn, perhaps time has caught up with him.

Matty Aitken is still an enigma but was given no protection at all  by the incompetent Gavin Duncan.

More questions asked than answered last night. Plenty for the gaffer to think about.