Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Our second signing of the summer is someone called Kelsey Ewan, a full-back who played for Edinburgh City last season.

I can't say I know a single thing about this player, but I hope he can do us a good turn and add some depth to the squad.

Posted (edited)

Here's a wee update following our business over the past two days:

GOALKEEPERS

• Darren Jamieson
  • Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS

• Kyle Banner (signed from Stirling Albion)
  • Kinlay Bilham
  • Gregor Buchanan
  • Kelsey Ewan (signed from Edinburgh City)
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Ross Meechan

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • James Berry
  • Adam Brown
  • Kyle Jacobs
  • Nat Wedderburn

ATTACKERS

• Matty Aitken
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Ross Taylor

OFFERED TERMS

• Matty Yates

TRANSFER LISTED

• Bradley Rodden

It certainly looks like we've sorted our defence out for the year ahead. Now another central midfielder and some high-calibre attacking players please, Mr Naysmith!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Do clubs at this level really "transfer list" a player? I thought it was just common practice that if you wanted rid of a player, you free them from their contract and allow them to sign for someone else. Is it likely that anyone will pay a fee for a player you guys obviously don't want?

11 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Do clubs at this level really "transfer list" a player? I thought it was just common practice that if you wanted rid of a player, you free them from their contract and allow them to sign for someone else. Is it likely that anyone will pay a fee for a player you guys obviously don't want?

Freeing them from their contract requires a pay off. If there's another club ready to take over his wages then it becomes easier to cancel the contract without a pay off.

Posted (edited)

If I had a contract I wouldn’t just walk away into the wilderness at no cost to my employer. Who would?

Clubs at this level can’t pay a player 3, 6, 9 months salary to move them on. Hence the player and the club wait for another club to come along and sign the player, contract with original club terminated. it is officially listed as a transfer (but it isnt a transfer in the £80 million to Real Madrid sense of the word)

Chances of player refusing to sign elsewhere almost zero, they want to play football

Edited by true fan

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Freeing them from their contract requires a pay off. If there's another club ready to take over his wages then it becomes easier to cancel the contract without a pay off.

Absolutely this.

Although if a daft St Cadocs or similar kiddy on money team comes in with a fee we'd take that as well.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I mean, that is correct. But it's such a rarity to see at this level as the majority of players at our level would much rather go and be playing elsewhere.

I suppose there's a chance Stenny have thrown too much money towards the boy and he's happy just to take it. It's not most teams have that luxury at this level though.

As before, if Stenny don't want him, is it likely anyone will actually offer money to take him off your hands?

41 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I mean, that is correct. But it's such a rarity to see at this level as the majority of players at our level would much rather go and be playing elsewhere.

I suppose there's a chance Stenny have thrown too much money towards the boy and he's happy just to take it. It's not most teams have that luxury at this level though.

As before, if Stenny don't want him, is it likely anyone will actually offer money to take him off your hands?

I don't think it's a case of "having thrown too much money" at the player. Bradley Rodden was signed on an 18-month contract but everyone quickly realised he's not good enough for the level, and certainly won't be good enough in League 1 next season. I'd be surprised if we had paid Alloa Athletic a transfer fee to sign him, as they were keen to move him on, and I'd be surprised if he's on a good wage.

I imagine he's free to go to a good home if he can find a club. It really is that simple!

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

You're over thinking and analysing things. 

It's really not that complicated.

• Francesc Fabregas changed the title to Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Hopefully improvements to our squad but have to admit, know absolutely nothing about the two players. Our recruitment has been relatively good and the staff have worked well in identifying the gaps, so I have faith in the signings. 

As FF says, just need a decent striker to come in and challenge Aitken. 

Any rumours on Yates re-signing?

On 29/05/2024 at 15:03, THE_warrior said:

Kyle banner seems like a reasonable edition as I'm led to believe he can play anywhere across the backline and can play in midfield. Couldn't give any more information on him other than he done me a turn in fm.

On the premier sports cup draw I can imagine the friendly with falkirk will get cancelled but looking forward to a group of champions and Ayr.

Kyle is best in a central midfield role, where he's got no hesitation in getting a solid challenge in.  He's more hesitant to do that when played at the back and that tends to hurt his game when played there.  He's a big lad with a big heart is Kyle.  A real danger to the opposition at corners.  Likes to play a simple passing game getting the ball on it's way upfield on the deck. Our loss is your gain, sorry to lose him.

Warriors have drawn Falkirk in the Stirlingshire cup. That’s 3 games against them, including 140yr anniversary game and league cup. Does it make sense to combine anniversary game with one of the cup games?

The anniversary game has been cancelled.

Think it's a bit of a nonsense really a friendly kick about early on in pre-season is going to have no bearing on the cup game three weeks later. I know it's the done thing but makes no sense really and losing a decent bit of coin through the gate.

I also don't understand the Stirlingshire Cup coming back. It's a nuisance that no one cares less about but maybe handy for the teams giving minutes to squad players during the season.

Probably not but there's so much more to his game than that. Technically class and work rate second to none.

His first season here the goals and assists numbers were brilliant for a bang average team and although he didn't match that last season in the title winning side he just offers so much even when off the boil. A very unique player at our level.

I actually said in a group chat the other night he would suit Airdrie and their style of play but not sure what the money would be like. Raith were supposedly in for him as well. He would be a good signing for Airdrie and would improve under McCabe.

Its dragging on a bit so I suppose we will find out soon what his decision is.

The club have announced that Bradley Rodden has left the club to join Bonnyrigg Rose:

https://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/2024/06/02/bradley-rodden-departs/

As discussed earlier in the thread, I don't think this is much of a loss for Stenhousemuir, but I am surprised he's joined a club in League 2; I thought he had "Cumbernauld Colts" written all over him. Bonnyrigg might be under new management but they still can't sign decent forwards!

Good luck to Rodden, I do hope he can prove me wrong next season.

Posted (edited)

Here's how the team's shaping up for the 2024/25 campaign:

GOALKEEPERS

• Darren Jamieson
  • Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS

• Kyle Banner (signed from Stirling Albion)
  • Kinlay Bilham
  • Gregor Buchanan
  • Kelsey Ewen (signed from Edinburgh City)
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Ross Meechan

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • James Berry
  • Adam Brown
  • Kyle Jacobs
  • Nat Wedderburn

ATTACKERS

• Matty Aitken
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Ross Taylor

OFFERED TERMS

• Matty Yates

LEFT THE CLUB

• Jordan Kirkpatrick (joined Camelon Juniors)
  • Edin Lynch
  • Bradley Rodden (joined Bonnyrigg Rose)
  • Ben Stirling
Edited by Francesc Fabregas