Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Low risk signings and for that no issue

Looking forward to competitive games starting this week. Decent display by all accounts against Cowdenbeath and good to see Matty and Ross getting off the mark along with the trademark Brown strike . 
Numbers down a little but still very good quality available to the manager . 

I liked what I saw at Ochilwool Park today. Everything has to be contextualised by the fact that this afternoon's opponents were miles off it - Buckie Thistle were dreadful and offered very little - but, nevertheless, it was an impressive display from Stenhousemuir from start to finish. Everyone should be pleased with their efforts but there were a couple of players in particular that stood out for me.

I thought Kyle Banner strolled through the game at centre-back, winning everything that was chucked in his direction, and his prowess on the ball allowed us to build from the back; I'm hopeful he'll play a big role over the course of the campaign. James Berry went about his work diligently while further forward, Ross Taylor and Matty Yates were both excellent. Taylor scored one and set up another, and his touch and pace were outstanding, while Yates looked like he was really enjoying himself and sprayed some excellent passes across the pitch; his ball to set up Taylor was just lovely. The best player on the park, however, was Mikey Anderson, who netted two lovely after the interval. Anderson picked up where he left off last season, showcasing some neat passing, great close control, and endless running. I've often thought if he could add goals to his game, he'd be unstoppable, and I really hope he can build on today's contribution. What a player!

He was only on the pitch for about 20 minutes but I didn't think too much of Corey O'Donnell's performance. He mis-controlled the ball with his first touch and committed a foul with his second, which it summed his afternoon up. Maybe he'll be given more opportunities to against Dundee United, Falkirk or Ayr United but it was a fairly inauspicious display and a loan spell further down the food chain might do him some good.

It was great to be back! It was great to see the same old faces and watch the Warriors win their first competitive match since early March. Let's go!

Only watched the stream yesterday but it was an enjoyable watch. We have to be real here the opposition were absolutely rank rotten, another pub team from the dogshit Highland League, but we looked very good - popped it about really well and looked very fit even late in the game our pressing was relentless.

In attack it was nice to see Matty Aitken get a goal hopefully he can get a bit of confidence from that and kick on after a trying pre-season. Matty Yates continues to look a million dollars again and Ross Taylor showed his qualities and how he could have  a big season in the locker  if he can stay fit and out of the referees book. The slip ball from Yates to Taylor and finish was a lovely bit of football. In general we just looked more in sync in attack than we have in a long time and regardless of the opposition the players must be feeling good about that as we have looked rusty in attack since the last quarter of last season.

The midfield bossed the game and never really got out of first gear. Nat and James were tidy and efficient. Mikey Anderson is different level and for me should be playing in the Championship, particularly if he is going to be adding goals to his game. Big, strong, quick and good on the ball he has all the qualities to be a stand out in league one for sure - it looks like he is playing a different sport at times playing these diddy teams.

The usual suspects at the back dealt with everything without fuss. Banner looks a tidy addition to the squad - he's not going to displace Bucky or Nicky from the offset but he will be an able deputy and I would imagine will play in a midfielder 3 at times in the perceived harder games in the division. He dominated in the air but it was passing that was impressive - quick and crisp and allowed us to build up the attack before they could really set.

We still have Buchanan, Jacobs, Brown and O'Reilly who did not start the match so I think it's a good reminder for us that this is a quality bunch of players who can all add value and once we add 2 or 3 further bits of quality we can have a solid season. As always our collective is our strength and while other teams are using this period to build connections in the squad and relationships on the park we are already ahead of the game in that regard - a solid, well drilled outfit who know their jobs and will run through a brick wall for the manager and each other.

Thoroughly looking forward to getting pumped off Dundee United now.

Enjoyed that yesterday. Was great to get a win and some goals - it had been a while. 

As has been said, Banner looked very composed. Alan Hansenesque. And was great to see Mikey Anderson continue where he left off last season. 

All our attacking players clicked at one point or another and it was good to see Matty Aitken on the scoresheet. Hopefully what he needed after a ropey few pre season games.

Buckie were disappointingly bad. Looked like they were down on numbers and probably a week or two behind in their preparations but they could be on the receiving end of a few heavy defeats in this competition. 

Buckie were poor no doubt and we have bigger challenges in the coming weeks and months .

What is good is the confidence that is clear and as a unit looking good in all areas with players to come back into the squad . We do have from middle to front some talent and if they play with that freedom I think we will be okay come the business end . 
Anderson class in the middle again with Yates Aiken and Taylor sharp up top .

Roll on Tuesday 

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

Thoroughly looking forward to getting pumped off Dundee United now.

I wouldn’t count on that, it appears United are using the competition a as pre season fitness exercise yet again, and I'm told they wilted after 20 minutes yesterday. All hearsay, as I don't attend LC fixtures normally.

There may be some United fans willing the Warriors on, too, as Goodwin is an unpopular figure, and a panic is setting in due to the Dundee Derby being the opening league fixture.

It was a wee bit tongue in cheek I'd trust our mob going away to Real Madrid. With Gary Naysmith in charge anything is possible.

Huge ask obviously but it's no secret Goodwin is disliked among the United faithful so it could be interesting if we could keep it tight for the opening half hour I'm sure the United fans will show their frustration.

A free hit really. We have to expect nothing and anything above that would be some result for all connected.

33 minutes ago, THE_warrior said:

Does anyone know if the game will be available to stream either on warriors TV or a dundee united version?

I doubt it, Premier Sport seem to have sealed up the rights. 

I watched the highlights from our impressive win over Buckie Thistle and I liked the sound of our new matchday commentator. Stepping into Chris McMillan's shoes is no small feat but he came across clear, enthusiastic and well informed, and it sounded like he was enjoying himself too. I think he'll get better over the coming weeks when he familiarises himself with our squad. Fair play!

Warriors live on the box tonight. 

Fourth time in our history I think?

Rangers Challenge Cup Semi 

Away to Airdrie (random League 1 game for some reason?!) 

TNS Challenge Cup game 

Have I missed any?

Edited by Christophe