Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

37 minutes ago, DentdaleWarrior said:

Your dad wasn't the only old man with a tear in his eye yesterday. I've been following the Warriors for over 50 years. As a young teenager I would travel up from Yorkshire with my mum and dad as often as we could and we were always made so welcome and treated with immense kindness by everyone. Donald Smillie is the last of the people who we met on our first visits who is still around. The celebrations at full time were fantastic but the one thing that brought tears to my eyes was having a few words with Donald and him speaking warmly of my late mum and dad. I still live down south and although a season ticket holder I only mange to get to a handful of games each season. So, for people like Donald and others who have regularly watched the Warriors through thick and (lots of) thin, I'm just so pleased for you all. Long may Stenhousemuir FC continue to be a fantastic club.

Donald got a round of applause when he came in to the wee bar after the game which was lovely.

The best guy, universally loved at the football club I'm so glad he got this day.

1 hour ago, DentdaleWarrior said:

Your dad wasn't the only old man with a tear in his eye yesterday. I've been following the Warriors for over 50 years. As a young teenager I would travel up from Yorkshire with my mum and dad as often as we could and we were always made so welcome and treated with immense kindness by everyone. Donald Smillie is the last of the people who we met on our first visits who is still around. The celebrations at full time were fantastic but the one thing that brought tears to my eyes was having a few words with Donald and him speaking warmly of my late mum and dad. I still live down south and although a season ticket holder I only mange to get to a handful of games each season. So, for people like Donald and others who have regularly watched the Warriors through thick and (lots of) thin, I'm just so pleased for you all. Long may Stenhousemuir FC continue to be a fantastic club.

If it isn't you who features in the video I posted above then that's quite freaky :lol:

15 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

It sunk in yesterday after the game, when I took my Auld man home after the match. He's 72 and was standing shaking with disbelief and a tear in his eye. He still can't believe that we've done it, after all of these years going to watch the Warriors. 

To every member of the team staff, Gary, the media team and the hard working volunteers who turn up every game, thank you! 

Delighted for fans like yourself @Old Fashioned Stramash, and it goes without saying, people like your Dad. What a story and what a day for you all!! One you'll never forget.

Congratulations Stenny

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it isn't you who features in the video I posted above then that's quite freaky :lol:

Not me I'm afraid. He's just someone else from down south who has been drawn in over the years by this great club and the people connected with it.

Saturday's celebrations seemed a world away from watching us get dumped out of the cup at Penicuik just a few years ago.

One question remains: who's the Player of the Year?

While there are strong arguments for Darren Jamieson, Mikey Anderson and Matty Aitken, it feels like it's a straight shoot-out between Gregor Buchanan and Nicky Jamieson. Both have had sterling campaigns and both have played an enormous part in our success, but I feel it has to go to Buchanan. He's been an incredible signing and his presence, organisation and leadership have made everyone around him better.

I thought he'd be a good signing when we brought him in from Dumbarton but he's been better than anyone could have anticipated!

Although there are the obvious candidates I'd have to go with nicky jamieson. He is a absolute monster at the back and wins absolutely every header, I can't think of a better part time centre half!

On 06/02/2024 at 06:43, Neilly said:

Bucky for me. I would go as far to say he will be the best signing in our history if we go on now and do the inevitable.

I can't remember a bad game he has had apart from that mad 20 minutes against Dumbarton. He's just such a good defender, reads the game well, can play a bit and is a huge threat from set plays. I think he's the glue that sticks it altogether. Nicky Jamieson was already a good player but for me he's went to another level playing next to Bucky. Even without Nicky in these last two games Bucky has stood up and been absolutely outstanding in both games with a slightly weaker defence.

So many quality, consistent performers though hence our league position so it's hard to single out any one person as our main strength is that togetherness and will to win as a group.

I stand by this and Bucky can now go down as the best signing in our history as well as my player of the year.

Our captain and leader of this brilliant group of lads.

Well … what a weekend! Saturday was a day I will never forget. From a selfish point of view, I was glad to get it over the line last weekend as don’t think I will make it this Saturday.

Anyway,  I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched the Gerry Cinammon song from the changing room …. “Here we go again”! I bet I’m not the only one! 

Lastly, Well done to everyone involved in the clubs first ever league title and I’m really looking forward to next season in League 1. 

I'm not sure if everyone's had the chance to read Ross Meechan's interview with the Falkirk Herald but it's worth checking out!

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/it-means-everything-to-me-tearful-ross-meechan-revels-in-stenhousemuirs-first-ever-title-triumph-4586273

I've never heard a player speak so effusively about Stenhousemuir before. There will be players who have enjoyed their time at Ochilview and have spoken about their fondness for the club, but this must be the first time someone has been so positive and glowing about what Stenny means to them. It's wonderful that he's taken the club to his heart like this.

I didn't think it was possible for him to go any higher in my estimations but here we are! A hero!

Proper lump in the throat stuff that. What a man.

He did tell me at Jersey Airport in pre-season we would win it and here we are.

Give the man the keys to the Wee Bar for life.