Irish Equal Marriage Referendum

Gordon EF

Including all the ones that had to leave and move to places like Castlemilk on the mainland because the Free State and then the RoI were an economic basket case? They prized economic well-being over living in an independent state. With a British welfare state in place and better access to the UK market for their industries more of them would have been able to stay.

^ I think the world has moved on a bit.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the other referendum to take place on the same day with the view of lowering age to run for President from 35 to 21 was rejected with 73%.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the other referendum to take place on the same day with the view of lowering age to run for President from 35 to 21 was rejected with 73%.

^^^ Oaksoft having a w**k IMO

Jedward (presumably one would be first lady) said they'd run for President if the age limit was lowered.

I'm surprised the no vote wasn't higher.

Something you don't need to ever legislate because you can leave it up to the common sense of the voters, I would have thought.

People like Coldplay and voting for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.

Old enough to die for a country but not to run it??????

President of Ireland is basically a ceremonial/ambassadorial position with little or no real power. He or she certainly doesn't "run" the country.

The referendum question was flawed anyway, why only lower the age to 21 when the legal voting age is 18?

Interesting that it's only Christian churches required to rescind what they believe is right. I wonder if the homosexual lobby would have the bottle to ask the Muslim community to recognise gay marriage. Now that marriage has been redefined, I'd like the right to marry 2 women simultaneously. Or marry my pet fish. Or enter into a civil partnership with a woman (currently not allowed). I have no control or responsibility over who I am or my sexual behaviour anyway.

The Christian church has every right to say it believes homosexuality is wrong.

And the Government should have the right to refuse or withdraw certain things that do reject it.

There is no difference from rejected service by a person's person's gender, sexuallaity or race, as long as it does not break the laws of the country.

President of Ireland is basically a ceremonial/ambassadorial position with little or no real power. He or she certainly doesn't "run" the country.

The referendum question was flawed anyway, why only lower the age to 21 when the legal voting age is 18?

The role of the President is to ensure the upholding of the constitution.

Archived