Irish Equal Marriage Referendum

Gordon EF

With the general election taking centre stage, this one kind of crept under the radar over here. I didn't realise this was happening until I saw it on the news this morning.

Opinion polls suggesting it could be close to 70-30 in favour of Yes. Basically everyone except the catholic church is campaigning in favour and it's just a question of whether there are enough 'shy', backwards, religious bigots to block it.

I'm looking forward to the catholic church being humiliated on this one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really want this to be an absolutely crushing victory.

The two tubes with the Oven Glove of No doing the rounds on Facebook this morning illustrate it perfectly.

I don't anticipate the failed statelet getting its shit together any time soon.

Really want this to be an absolutely crushing victory.

The two tubes with the Oven Glove of No doing the rounds on Facebook this morning illustrate it perfectly.

I don't anticipate the failed statelet getting its shit together any time soon.

I saw the old boys with the oven gloves. What a couple of absolute belters.

Norn Iron really is quite the joke.

There is something very, very weird and a bit sad about having to have a referendum on this. It's almost inherently homophobic that they won't allow gay people to marry unless the straight majority consent to it.

Having said that I hope it's a crushing Yes vote.

This Paddy Moynahan has to be one of the P+B trolls:

Paddy Monaghan, one of the co-ordinators of the alliance of 100 religious activists, issued a warning on the eve of the referendum.

“We have warned in our pamphlet about the major implications on the issue of conscience if there is a yes vote on Friday. If there is a yes vote, will the Muslim printer in Ireland now be obliged to print cartoons of Muhammad? Redefining marriage is sold to us by the media and political establishment as a permissive measure but it will quickly become coercive,” Monaghan said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/irish-voters-set-to-make-history-in-gay-marriage-referendum

I don't even want to click on that....

You're missing a fairly decent cheap laugh if you don't.

I also thought this was quite funny(But not on that link)..

CFjpEhRWMAAiNTN.jpg

There is something very, very weird and a bit sad about having to have a referendum on this. It's almost inherently homophobic that they won't allow gay people to marry unless the straight majority consent to it.

Part of their written constitution

It has to go to referendum, any change to the constitution.

Yes will win by a landslide

Really. I almost wish we'd had one so that the bigots could have been publicly crushed and have no recourse to blame it on parliament.

Archived