Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statement from the chairman:

http://dufc.co/news/statement-from-the-chairman/

February 17, 2016

Stephen Thompson, Chairman of Dundee United Football Club, issued the following statement this morning:

As Chairman of the Club, I would like apologise to all Dundee United supporters for the abysmal performance last night against Motherwell. The current position at the bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership is wholly unacceptable. It is not where Dundee United should be under any circumstance.

The board and myself have made certain decisions in the last eighteen months which in hindsight were incorrect but were made for the greater good of the Club and with the ambition of maintaining our position at the top of Scottish football, something we have done successfully for the last eight years. This included supporting a playing squad that commands the third highest wage bill in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

However, we have failed miserably on the pitch with only three wins in 25 league matches and an early exit from the League Cup. Performances such as last night simply cannot be tolerated. The current playing squad now have thirteen matches to preserve the Clubs premiership status and redeem their own professional reputations.

:lol: Thats has got to be the greatest thing I have ever read.

Sell your best players, make a decent turn out of it, apologise, get pumped in last derby of the season, apologise again, get relegated, apologise then leave.

Got to love good old ST.

Keep it coming DABS this is comedy gold.

2016 keeps on giving.

That statement is absolutely glorious.

Absolutely everything that is wrong with Utd in one statement.

Bewildering, completely foundationless sense of entitlement? - "The current position at the bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership is wholly unacceptable. It is not where Dundee United should be under any circumstance." - Check

Living in the past to deflect from the present? - "...maintaining our position at the top of Scottish football, something we have done successfully for the last eight years" - Check

Total and utter unwillingness to accept their rightful place and reality of the situation - "The current playing squad now have thirteen matches to preserve the Club’s premiership status" - Check - It is this head in the sand approach that has got you into this mess.

Glorious.

Depends on how you read it. My take is that the team with the third highest wage bill has performed well below expectations. No sense of entitlement. Just been fucking rubbish week after week.

The blame lies with Thompson, McNamara, Mixu and the players. All of them.

Obviously United fully deserve to be in the position they are in, only an idiot would think otherwise.

I have yes. Out of interest with your Nostradamus like abilities did you predict either of your club's administrations?

No. It's often difficult to look objectively at a situation involving the object of your own love.

That is why outside opinions are worth decent analysis before deciding to rubbish them out of hand.

Nice use of standard Utd living in the past deflection though.

Proving me right one post at a time.

Is it just me or is there a subtext to that statement of a chairman looking at the real possibility of pulling the plug and walking?

The timing also seems strange, was last night really such a bad performance? Surely there have been others that have warranted an apology this season. Perhaps the 13 points 13 games thing has struck a chord.

Can't see the statement having a positive impact on the playing staff, plenty agents will be getting a call from players looking to redeem their own professional reputations at anywhere other than Utd come the end of the season...even Mixu looks like he's had enough.

Is it just me or is there a subtext to that statement of a chairman looking at the real possibility of pulling the plug and walking?

The timing also seems strange, was last night really such a bad performance? Surely there have been others that have warranted an apology this season. Perhaps the 13 points 13 games thing has struck a chord.

Can't see the statement having a positive impact on the playing staff, plenty agents will be getting a call from players looking to redeem their own professional reputations at anywhere other than Utd come the end of the season...even Mixu looks like he's had enough.

Strikes me as a statement made by a man who has reached the end of the road.

He's saying that we expect better, paid for better and you guys (the players) have let us down - big time. And don't be blaming any of this on the board/managers etc - it's your abject failure on the park that has left us staring at the abyss. You have until the end of the season to restore some credibility.

Why now? I suspect this little speech has been in his jaiket for a couple of weeks waiting for the moment all accept the inevitability of relegation.

If i had to sum it up in one word, that word would be'pleasing.'

Following Twinkles request last night - here are some of my favourite posts from earlier in the thread -

Biggie talking about Ciftci in the above post - Mongoose was obviously confident....

Still got this bookmarked Albert?

The next one is another example of #Deefiantbeingbangonthecash - a theme we have seen throughout the season. I refer you to my earlier dose of teltage referring to Sneijder and Bodul if you want to see installment one.

Remind me of the fee Souttar went to Hearts (not the EPL incidentally....) for?

Gibby (amongst other Arabs tbf) wasn't impressed with my suggestion

Was it now?

Heres another #Bangonthecash moment - this was the day / days after the Ciftci sale.

Safe to say the amount of pelters I took from DABs for my opinions over the course of pre-season / signings was worth it. Maybe I'm not as daft as you all thought eh?

How much did we get for Souttar in a tribunal?

He needs to get Mixu in a room and tell him to get to f**k and to take his stone age football with him.

Ftfy.

Mixu is honestly a poor mans John Brown, at least that cretin won some games. If we plan on letting him build a squad then we are royally fucked for years to come.

Thompson's statement is an abdication of leadership. Is he trying to deflect the understandable anger of the Arabs? It's almost like he's saying he'd like to be out on the streets protesting too. Any credibility he might still have had has been flushed down the stank with that statement. They do have a weird way of handling PR at Tannadice.

Well, it may have been that Jackie watched him in the two games he played in 2014 in some obscure tournament called the World Cup. Was that on TV? I can't recall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285263

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285148

Maybe he is a fan of the A League - the games are shown on BT Sport, which I assume he watches, and reasoned that the top scorer in that league might be worth looking at. Especially considering he was top scorer in that league at such a relatively undistinguished club. He might know a lot about the standard of that league. If only someone at Dundee United had spent any time recently involved with Newcastle Jets, who would maybe know about these things.

Maybe he wanted to sign Taggart in 2014, but then he was gazumped by Fulham. Even so, he decided to keep an eye on his development.

Maybe he wanted to sign him on loan last year, before he got injured.

So, now that he's fit, and available, he jumped in.

Might not actually be the case, but enough there to assume (if you can do it, so can I) that we might have watched the guy before.

Any more questions?

This is my fav. Still think Jackie did his homework? The abuse I got for saying Jackie was a lazy gobshite who didn't do his job right is laughable considering where we are now. My main worry all summer was McNamara's ability to assemble a team, he proved me spot on, the boy did zero homework, well wee Jackie you threw plenty of shit at the walls and none of it stuck

Dundee United to go a thrilling cup run and reach the final, only to lose from a heartbreaking goal by some jobber in the 81st minute. They'll have long since been relegated by the time of the final mind.

Thompson's statement is an abdication of leadership. Is he trying to deflect the understandable anger of the Arabs? It's almost like he's saying he'd like to be out on the streets protesting too. Any credibility he might still have had has been flushed down the stank with that statement. They do have a weird way of handling PR at Tannadice.

Out PR is non-existent, and out statements are mintertastic. Thompson's trying to curry favour with the support as one cursory glance at United Mad will tell him the pitchforks are being prepared. But it's not quite so easy for him to sugarcoat things now that he's no longer spoon feeding Jim Spence with tepid diarrhoea.

Archived