Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

Hopefully Sutty stays if Erwin is going.

I think it'll come down to two factors. The money he wants to stay, and if he's prepared to accept a reduced role.

If both of those factors play out in a favourable manner then I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to see him stay.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the official website:

The following players have been offered extended contracts at the club:

Lionel Ainsworth

John Sutton

Lee Erwin

The following players have been allowed to leave the club following the expiry of their contracts:

Stuart Carswell

Simon Ramsden

Paul Lawson

Iain Vigurs

Bob McHugh

Zaine Francis-Angol

Fraser Kerr

Ross Stewart

The following short-term arrivals / loans have also left the club:

George Long

Mark OBrien

Anthony Straker

Louis Laing

Nathan Thomas

Conor Grant

Scott McDonald

Looks like Skippy is away, along with everyone really! Only Erwin, Ainsworth and Sutton offered new deals.

Sorry to see Skippy is away, although fully expected.

Glad to see Sutton has been offered a new contract. Not surprised about any of the rest really, thought Kerr and Carswell would have had a slight chance of a new deal but that was it really.

Would imagine we might see one or two of the loanees back once they learn their fate from their parent clubs.

From the official website:

The following players have been offered extended contracts at the club:

Lionel Ainsworth

John Sutton

Lee Erwin

The following players have been allowed to leave the club following the expiry of their contracts:

Stuart Carswell

Simon Ramsden

Paul Lawson

Iain Vigurs

Bob McHugh

Zaine Francis-Angol

Fraser Kerr

Ross Stewart

The following short-term arrivals / loans have also left the club:

George Long

Mark OBrien

Anthony Straker

Louis Laing

Nathan Thomas

Conor Grant

Scott McDonald

Looks like Skippy is away, along with everyone really! Only Erwin, Ainsworth and Sutton offered new deals.

Quite a clearout when you see it written down - but totally necessary. Nothing unexpected apart from Sutton who most thought might be offski (and he still might of course). I would expect that we will make an effort with Laing, Long, Grant and McDonald - but I wouldn't expect the latter two to be around next year..

I will be disappointed if the club haven't been actively trying to keep McDonald. Maybe his wage expectations are way above or he already has something else in place.

He was tremendous at Ibrox, thankfully his 2 match ban was overturned.

The most striking thing about the list of outgoing players is that most of them made a terribly small contribution to the season. If we lose the 3 guys we want to keep with Long, Laing and McDonald that is going to be tough to replace this season.

Looks like a complete re-tooling for next season.

Ainsworth is the only one I see staying out the 3 offered new deals but I'd like all 3 to stay.

I'd be happy to take Long, Grant and Laing back.

Skippy is one of my all time favourite 'Well players he's helped keep us up I wish him all the best. I'd have loved it if he'd stayed.

Vile rumours of Jim Goodwin signing on Thursday...not exactly in the pacey, pressing mould we've been promised by Bara! Although as a replacement for McManus, I dunno. I would rather see Laing sign along with someone who won't guarantee about 500 cards a season.

:lol::lol::lol:

Away ye go! haha...mind you don't have to believe everything you read :lol::lol:

I believe Jim Goodwin and Ian Baraclough are good pals from playing together down south....

Ainsworth is the only one I see staying out the 3 offered new deals but I'd like all 3 to stay.

I'd be happy to take Long, Grant and Laing back.

Skippy is one of my all time favourite 'Well players he's helped keep us up I wish him all the best. I'd have loved it if he'd stayed.

I think we can do better than Long.

Grant showed bits and pieces but to me he looks like someone who's never played pro football before. Obviously has some talent but often looks inexperienced. If we are going to play that sort of player I'd rather it was our own and I don't think we should be loaning in players that aren't anything more than squad players.

I'd take Laing back, We improved at the back with him next to McManus but I think we will need to bring in more than one centre back and if we do bring Laing in I think he will need some genuine competition.

I think we can do better than Long.

Grant showed bits and pieces but to me he looks like someone who's never played pro football before. Obviously has some talent but often looks inexperienced. If we are going to play that sort of player I'd rather it was our own and I don't think we should be loaning in players that aren't anything more than squad .

Long is still young I think he's got potential to be a very decent standard keeper. Personally I'd rather have him than the likes of Jaimie McDonald that folks on steelmen keep suggesting.

I'd agree we'd rather have a permanent player than Grant or one of our youngsters but if we're struggling for numbers near the end of August he's shown enough that I'd take him back.

I think it is imperative that we keep Ainsworth and Sutton now that Erwin is destined for Leeds. I would have also kept Laing if possible as I felt he became better at the end of season.

Still solid team in place for next season - Hammy, Las, McManus , Pearson,Johnson & Law. Chance maybe for Moore to shine. I am sure the Barra will have plenty of options.

I am sure Erwin will be a success at Leeds, I will miss "getting off my seat" when he has possession around the box.

Anier shares a lot of qualities with Erwin imo, could work. Would hope our scouting range extends past looking at who used to play for us and signing them for the sake of it now though.

Aye. We won a watch with Anier. Decent turn for a few months, then sold him for a few hundred grand. No thanks to a return.

No real surprises there with those leaving although that is almighty number that we're going to have to replace this summer.

Must say I'd be really disappointed if Erwin left. Raw talent and could really do with a bit of extra time with us much like Jamie Murphy who I gather is now a firm fan's favourite down at Sheffield Utd.

I'd be happy if Long and Laing came back. Laing was solid alongside McManus in the games against Rangers and would be welcome back.

A bit disappointed that it's not worked out for Vigurs this season and it's the correct decision to let him go but it's with a bit of a heavy heart, he really is a talented player.

Also really sad to see Straker go, he'll be sorely missed........

Y0UJC.png

Archived