Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to Motherwell on this.

The model, if everyone thinks about it properly, has to be the best in the long term.

Supporters working with local business and larger investors has to be the way forward.

As long as it is run as a business and has the correct skill sets in the key roles it has to be the best structure for funding the majority of clubs in Scotland.

After all could this model and direction do any worse than the contemptuous c***s who have run football for years.

Good luck again and get behind

Good luck to Motherwell on this.

The model, if everyone thinks about it properly, has to be the best in the long term.

Supporters working with local business and larger investors has to be the way forward.

As long as it is run as a business and has the correct skill sets in the key roles it has to be the best structure for funding the majority of clubs in Scotland.

After all could this model and direction do any worse than the contemptuous c***s who have run football for years.

Good luck again and get behind

The bit in bold is the worrying part.

So far the people running the Society have used the "give us your money or we are going into admin / forgein ownership" only for the club to say we're fine.

The great thing about fan ownership is the club has to live within it's means, cause there is no sugar daddy waiting to bail you out.

The bit in bold is the worrying part.

So far the people running the Society have used the "give us your money or we are going into admin / forgein ownership" only for the club to say we're fine.

The great thing about fan ownership is the club has to live within it's means, cause there is no sugar daddy waiting to bail you out.

I actually think that Fan Ownership is a misleading name for the best way forward.

If I am reading both this and the FOH correctly it is the plan that the wider fanbase provide funds on a regular basis. Both are also engaging with local businesses and will have a wealthy individuals providing extra working capital if required.

Running on a sustainable basis is how every club in Scotland should be run now. How do you think Ross County are doing what they are doing? One man pumping in a huge amount each year. Yes he can afford it but is it much different to a Gretna? Ok McGregor I am sure will have planned for a rainy day but it still doesn't sit well for me.

Scottish Clubs are well able to both compete and turn a profit. Dundee Utd made £4m or something like that and if they had recruited better would have done fine this season. My own club (not much smaller than Motherwell, if at all) turned £1.3m profit last year.

If there are not the right skill set within Well Society then those involved would be best served to make sure there is and those who contribute should make sure that they are doing that.

Anyway good luck again. For me sustainability in whatever guise is the only long term way forward.

Your point about fan ownership being a misleading selling point is spot on. The more I've thought about this today the less whacky it's seemed...once you remove the idea that it's fans who are running the club. I realised this anyway but I think it has been a stumbling block for many.

Ultimately it's up to the club to show that they can run in a self sufficient manner. Which as you say is what they should be aiming to do regardless of who actually 'owns' the club. I still have very little faith in the actual credibility of The Well Society as an entity but ultimately that becomes less of an issue providing the club itself gets its house in order.

Capt - are you a WS Member? Or if not, are you now tempted to fling a few quid in?

Having looked at it for 24 hours now, I do feel, as long as we get the right people in charge, it's worth a tentative fiver a month to begin with.

I'm not at the moment, I had been put off it largely because of the Society itself and the way they've gone about things. I suppose I kind of took exception to my feeling that they were basically assuming that because I'm a 'well fan then by rights I'd sign up regardless of whether or not they've justified my 'investment' (read: donation). I don't have an issue paying the money but I'm not going to pay it if the folk I'm giving it to are incompetent.

The more I've thought about it today though of the back of some tweets from Alan Burrows, quite possibly to you actually, and the fact that he's at least acknowledged that they need to actually convince people to get on board then I'm more inclined to joining than I had been previously.

Capt - are you a WS Member? Or if not, are you now tempted to fling a few quid in?

Having looked at it for 24 hours now, I do feel, as long as we get the right people in charge, it's worth a tentative fiver a month to begin with.

This is certainly the first time I've felt that.

I'm still in the unconvinced camp, but the idea that club remains self sufficient and doesn't come asking for *more* of my money, I could probably get on board.

Similarly, while I appreciate that Our current chairman has helped us out, I still hope he gets an absolute riddy every time he thinks about how ready he was to back baraclough with cash and in the paper. Lets not do that again, eh lads?

I should probably chip in and say that I have a bit more faith in the club making a bit of headway with McGhee looking after the first team and Craigan managing the 20s than I did with Baraclough.

I think the way the 20s seem to be progressing along with the January clear out McGhee oversaw along with Hall and Cadden being drafted in makes me think we could remain competitive with a lighter first team squad being backed up by the 20s.

For me that's a reasonable step in the right direction.

I've been abroad working the last couple of days and missed this completely - so when I read the news just now it was a total surprise and my gut reaction was quite honestly "oh shit".

I've been a member of the 'Well society at the Claret level since day 1 but have remained quite sceptical of the entire concept ever since. I'm not being critical of the people involved as they are just 'Well fans putting a lot of time in - my main concern is that the much vaunted fan ownership probably doesn't fit every club. I think that for very small clubs it would be ideal and I could see it working well with Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs - all clubs with a wide enough base of supporters and crucially, enough affluent supporters to put in a reasonable amount of money above the minimum - and these clubs are likely to have access to supportive local business. On the flip side, a team with a small base of supporters in one of the poorest areas of the country who might not have deep enough pockets and a deep enough pool of individuals with the right skills to make it work.

I hate being negative about it, as I want it to be a success and will continue to contribute what I can afford - but I'm going to take a bit of convincing that it's the best model......

I hadn't read his spiel but according to his bit on the BBC website Hutchison's indicated that we're extremely close to breaking even. If that is the case then it's a pretty big step in the right direction IMO considering we've been posting losses on an almost annual basis for the last 5 years or something.

Having read his comments, as much as he's a blowhard, they do make sense and you can see how the changes would have had a positive effect on the balance sheet.

If the club *have* finally managed to sort themselves out in that respect then hopefully it will at the very least give the Society a chance.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35826768

Biggest problem with fan ownership is finding a fan who could run a business. 99%, myself included wouldn't have a scooby

From what I gather, this is kind of a misunderstanding of how it would work. Someone who knows more is welcome to correct me, but the club, as it is, would operate as it always has done. The Society leaders, however they're elected, would go about appointing staff to run the club. From the Society membership, I'd be surprised if there isn't people with the wherewithal to recruit staff effectively, who then answer to a board, as they do now.

As I said before, I'm more convinced by this now than I have been, really. Hopefully the shift from being 'outside' the club (however nominally that may have been), to being 'the club' will improve the communication elements that have been letting them down so badly. I can't imagine Burrows would be anywhere like as piss poor at relaying information about it.

As always, the most in-depth stuff with us is in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3496522/Motherwell-edge-closer-fan-ownership-Les-Hutchison-explains-agreed-sell-stake-1-14-months.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490(honestly, what the f**k is this link we've got with that shit show?).

From what I gather, this is kind of a misunderstanding of how it would work. Someone who knows more is welcome to correct me, but the club, as it is, would operate as it always has done. The Society leaders, however they're elected, would go about appointing staff to run the club. From the Society membership, I'd be surprised if there isn't people with the wherewithal to recruit staff effectively, who then answer to a board, as they do now.

As I said before, I'm more convinced by this now than I have been, really. Hopefully the shift from being 'outside' the club (however nominally that may have been), to being 'the club' will improve the communication elements that have been letting them down so badly. I can't imagine Burrows would be anywhere like as piss poor at relaying information about it.

As always, the most in-depth stuff with us is in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3496522/Motherwell-edge-closer-fan-ownership-Les-Hutchison-explains-agreed-sell-stake-1-14-months.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490(honestly, what the f**k is this link we've got with that shit show?).

As loathe as I am to read the Heil that's actually a pretty reassuring interview tbh.

Archived