Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a blow but I'm confident Gomis will do a decent job in replacing him. Hopefully Lasley's injury isn't too bad since we have no other central midfielders as McGhee doesn't rate Leitch. The thought of Josh Law playing there is horrible.

Also I don't remember how Pearo got injured. You'd think you'd remember a challenge where broken ribs and a punctured lung is involved.

Well if anyone was starting to relax about the relegation battle following our recent revival, they better think again with this news and more especially if Lasley is out for any length of time as well.

I'd think Gomis would do a decent enough job stepping in for Lasley however there's no real obvious replacement for Pearson. Who knows maybe this is Jack Leitch's time to shine.

Beyond that you're looking at Laing in the centre of the park or putting faith in someone like David Turnbull from the 20s who's been playing well & scored a fairly tremendous goal during the week. It'd be a pretty ridiculous ask to pitch a 16 year old into games against Aberdeen and Celtic though.

Arab hammer throwers - shocking.

I'll caveat this with the fact that Johnson always plays shite against us for whatever reason but Pearson is the player I worry about most when playing Motherwell - a real driving force from midfield.

Big miss for you.

I'd think Gomis would do a decent enough job stepping in for Lasley however there's no real obvious replacement for Pearson. Who knows maybe this is Jack Leitch's time to shine.

Beyond that you're looking at Laing in the centre of the park or putting faith in someone like David Turnbull from the 20s who's been playing well & scored a fairly tremendous goal during the week. It'd be a pretty ridiculous ask to pitch a 16 year old into games against Aberdeen and Celtic though.

I wonder if Cadden could play the Pearson role - he's got the engine for it anyway and makes some excellent runs. 

Shite news on Pearson - an absolutely key player for us...

I wonder if Cadden could play the Pearson role - he's got the engine for it anyway and makes some excellent runs.

Shite news on Pearson - an absolutely key player for us...

He definitely could but if Lasley's out for any length of time that's 2 of 3 midfielders out which is in no uncertain terms, pish news.

Not to be "OMG everything's ruined" about things but what's the script with registering out of contract players? Is there a cut off/deadline?

Edit: Ross MacLean's another one who could step in I suppose and Watt's played in Lasley's position once or twice when I've seen the 20s.

Pearson is a big blow to be out 6 weeks, hopefully Las just has bit of swelling and bruising and will be fit for Aberdeen.

I don't think Pearo has been in great form either, he doesn't seem to get forward as often as he should be and rarely getting beyond the ball. In comparison Cadden has the midfielder getting forward in support.

McDonald is still an option in midfield should Lasley be out as well especially with Gomis in sitting role since McDonald has great composure and passing ability. Plenty of options to fill in up top with Thomas, McFadden, Ainsworth and Fletcher all available.

I like Pearson and rate him also. But (and maybe just me) I don't think he has been one of our better players the last 4-6 weeks.

He is more capable of scoring than our other midfielders bar maybe Marv. But even on Friday I felt he was not being particularly effective before he went off. Sure Gomis is a different player but not unduly happy if he slots in.

Obvious concern about Lasleys injury and could do without Law and Laing being injured at same time.

Completely random thing - but I saw this on twitter and thought it was interesting as I'd never heard of it before:

CdSAWROXEAMixhe.jpg

It was in the early 80's a few years before I started going - any older 'Well fans know the story behind it?

Ha ha.

I posted this in the pictures thread at Steelmen Online a couple of days ago, after I'd be going through some old programmes.  Obviously taken a journey to Twitter and now here.

This picture is from a friendly match against Leeds Utd in 1982.  Best played in this match for Motherwell. Leeds Utd won 4-0.

As someone else mention, George Best played on another occasion for Motherwell. He played 45 minutes for each team in a friendly between Motherwell and San Jose Earthquakes but the poster wrongly attributed the picture to that match. 

The match against San Jose Earthquakes was the previous year, 1981.

Bad news about Pearo - Dundee United certainly left their mark on us. Of late he's been asked to sit deeper than he likes but MM is the boss.

Watching the game back on BT they mention he seemed to have a problem around 5mins which means he tried to play through it for about half an hour. Which is pretty wild.

Pearson is a big blow to be out 6 weeks, hopefully Las just has bit of swelling and bruising and will be fit for Aberdeen.

I don't think Pearo has been in great form either, he doesn't seem to get forward as often as he should be and rarely getting beyond the ball. In comparison Cadden has the midfielder getting forward in support.

McDonald is still an option in midfield should Lasley be out as well especially with Gomis in sitting role since McDonald has great composure and passing ability. Plenty of options to fill in up top with Thomas, McFadden, Ainsworth and Fletcher all available.

I'd take that to be honest - Gomis fills in for Las, Skippy takes over Pearo's role, and Faddy goes up front. It's the option that would suit our current shape best - it's been proved on a number of occasions this year that playing both Johnson and Ainsworth together just doesn't work.

The only problem with that is that Skippy is never a midfielder in his puff and Faddy is done. If that's our 'plan' for the next few weeks then God help us!

Archived