2015/16 Champions League

Were there scenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0ZSxpST1E&feature=youtu.be

Can't really tell from the worst highlights package I've ever seen (Sportscene breathe a sigh), and they appear to have been playing in a quarry.

Excellent result for Lincoln (and some useful coefficient points in the bag for Gibraltar if UEFA relax their 'special conditions').

Next up... the champions of Denmark :o:lol:.

It should definitely help them. What are the "special conditions" you mention though?

They're likely to get absolutely ragged next week, but a great result for them tonight nonetheless.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should definitely help them. What are the "special conditions" you mention though?

UEFA used to award Andorra and San Marino only 1 UEFA Cup place, in the days when the minimum for everyone else was 2, and 0 Intertoto places. I think they might have been only allowed UC places for a while before that.

When they started the Europa League and absorbed the Intertoto into it, they changed this so that everyone got a minimum of 3 EL places, except the bottom 2 countries in the coefficient table (whoever they were) received only 2. Idea behind this was to provide an extra incentive to improve, it seems.

However for some reason Gibraltar has special conditions applied only allowing them 1 CL & 1 EL places, regardless of their position in the coefficient table. This may have been a precaution against them being awful but they did well last season (Lincoln got a draw against Torshavn and College were not disgraced against Vaduz), and as we speak are actually above Andorra and San Marino despite only having 2 seasons of contributions.

UEFA used to award Andorra and San Marino only 1 UEFA Cup place, in the days when the minimum for everyone else was 2, and 0 Intertoto places. I think they might have been only allowed UC places for a while before that.

When they started the Europa League and absorbed the Intertoto into it, they changed this so that everyone got a minimum of 3 EL places, except the bottom 2 countries in the coefficient table (whoever they were) received only 2. Idea behind this was to provide an extra incentive to improve, it seems.

However for some reason Gibraltar has special conditions applied only allowing them 1 CL & 1 EL places, regardless of their position in the coefficient table. This may have been a precaution against them being awful but they did well last season (Lincoln got a draw against Torshavn and College were not disgraced against Vaduz), and as we speak are actually above Andorra and San Marino despite only having 2 seasons of contributions.

Cheers for that. Would be really disappointing for them if they didn't relax that - especially now that, as you say, they're performing relatively well compared to their ability. Going by FM logic (admittedly not the most realistic) then they'd easily have done enough to grab one extra Europa League place at least.

Anyway, shall we play a game of how badly are Lincoln going to get beaten tonight? I'm going for 5 or more.

Just a mention for those desperate for a football fix that TNS v Videoton is live on S4C tonight at 7pm. I believe that's Sky channel 134.

I'm genuinely sad enough to be quite excited about it. Might get a big carry out and start chanting Welsh songs on my Jack Jones.

Just a mention for those desperate for a football fix that TNS v Videoton is live on S4C tonight at 7pm. I believe that's Sky channel 134.

I'm genuinely sad enough to be quite excited about it. Might get a big carry out and start chanting Welsh songs on my Jack Jones.

Missed the first half but it is on BBC iPlayer as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/s4c

0-0 at half time.

I see the Gibraltesars only lost 1-0 away to Midgieland of Denmark.

A wonderful result for them. Caught the last ten minutes on the stream, and Lincoln should have equalised. Casciaro bundled his way forward and found himself 2 on 2 on the edge of the box. Struck it well but flew just wide. In the short amount I saw, Lincoln looked like they were at least matching them. Certainly have a chance next week, albeit a tiny one. Fkin Midgies.

A few surprise results on Wednesday. Fola Esch of Luxembourg got a 1-1 draw away to Dinamo Zagreb. Maybe not such a huge surprise any more, with Luxembourg's clubs doing fairly well in recent years. Zalgiris Vilnius got a 0-0 in Malmo, and Dundalk only lost 2-1 away to BATE Borisov.

So if Lincoln somehow miraculously make it past the Midgies, it'll probably be APOEL for them. Although they only managed a 0-0 draw in their game.

Easy enough tie for Celtic too you'd imagine.

Ludogorets currently losing to the Moldovans. Would be a bit of a shock considering how they did last year.

Quite fancy Midtjylland in the handicap betting tonight, should be looking to make a statement after only winning 1-0 in the first leg.

Archived