No Man's Sky

Fide

After having it since midnight on launch day, I'm just going to say it:

It's boring as f**k. Barely half-finished.

It could be great, one day. As it is you just do exactly the same thing every planet.

Having played/grinded it a fair bit more, I've got to the stage where I got to the centre of the Universe......

Spoiler

disappointed-what-a-pisser.gif

Seriously after a bit of drawback and arty cinematic with no narration you end back on the edge of another galaxy, or it may be the same one I don't know and frankly don't care anymore. 

There is no game here, potential maybe, but thrown away.  I doubt we'll see anything else from Hello Games, the company will split and the developers make new games under a less toxic name.

As for Sean Murray, he joins the ranks of Peter Molyneux and David Cage as hype merchants beyond ability.

On 06/09/2016 at 21:09, Gaz said:

After having it since midnight on launch day, I'm just going to say it:

It's boring as f**k. Barely half-finished.

It could be great, one day. As it is you just do exactly the same thing every planet.

This sums it up for me. The very epitome of style over substance.

tbf to fide, he really enjoyed it (at first anyway) and got a lot of time out of the game, probably got his money's worth.

You get the feeling he gets delirious when he gets a more than normal amount of red skittles in a packet.

I've definitely reached fatigue point with the game.   According to Steam I've played 44 hours.  At the start each new planet is amazing and I want to see as much of it as I could.  Before I left each system I wanted to explore each planet in turn.  Now I jump into a system, look around for a bit and it takes something amazing to really capture my attention.  Otherwise I jump to the next system. 

Everything has become so repetitive and rather dull.  I'm still glad I've played it as from a technological point of view I found that very interesting and the whole scale and scope of the game is amazing.  However it feels like its maybe 66% complete.  The backbone of a good game is there but the missing third feels obvious, the stuff that would truly make it interesting.  The universe feels strangely static, binary and in a way dead.  You meet aliens from three distinct races but you just meet them as individuals and have rather simplistic interactions with them.  I never really get a feeling that they are dynamic races who live across the stars. 

On 9/8/2016 at 01:37, XIII said:

Strange we haven't heard from Hide in here for a while, winder if he's drawn the sane conclusion and avoiding admitting he was wrong about his game

He threw a massive strop when I said I broadly agreed with the 5/10 Jim Sterling gave it, said it would just be for clicks.

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I've definitely reached fatigue point with the game.   According to Steam I've played 44 hours.  At the start each new planet is amazing and I want to see as much of it as I could.  Before I left each system I wanted to explore each planet in turn.  Now I jump into a system, look around for a bit and it takes something amazing to really capture my attention.  Otherwise I jump to the next system. 

Everything has become so repetitive and rather dull.  I'm still glad I've played it as from a technological point of view I found that very interesting and the whole scale and scope of the game is amazing.  However it feels like its maybe 66% complete.  The backbone of a good game is there but the missing third feels obvious, the stuff that would truly make it interesting.  The universe feels strangely static, binary and in a way dead.  You meet aliens from three distinct races but you just meet them as individuals and have rather simplistic interactions with them.  I never really get a feeling that they are dynamic races who live across the stars. 

That's pretty much exactly what I've done.  I was exploring everything to a great degree, trying to 100% planets, but the last play I got of it was just jumping from system to system to try and get to the center.  

In fact, I'd agree with pretty much all your post.  Exactly how I feel about it.  Definitely potential there, and I hope that they take on board everything that's happened and maybe come back with the game they wanted to make.  It's unlikely though, as it seems the default reaction is not to accept they tried, but to tell them to f**k off entirely for failing.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

That's pretty much exactly what I've done.  I was exploring everything to a great degree, trying to 100% planets, but the last play I got of it was just jumping from system to system to try and get to the center.  

In fact, I'd agree with pretty much all your post.  Exactly how I feel about it.  Definitely potential there, and I hope that they take on board everything that's happened and maybe come back with the game they wanted to make.  It's unlikely though, as it seems the default reaction is not to accept they tried, but to tell them to f**k off entirely for failing.

The centre is what I'm trying to get to now.  I've heard a few negative things about the centre but that still won't put me off.  I actually played for about 30 minutes before bed last night.  I was just away to jump from the system I was in when I noticed that on the galactic map it was marked as having been discovered by someone else.  That is the first time I recall seeing that.

Once I reach the centre I can imagine I wouldn't play it again for a while.  If some new big patches came out that gave the game an overhaul I'd be really keen to give it another go for sure.

One minor thing I wish they'd patch is some of the rendering issues.  I was walking about mining some gold on a planet that had a few deposits within walking distance of each other.  I spotted a deposit and walked towards only for it to vanish as I got really close to it, turned out it was one I had already mined.  

I think the review scores I've seen which seem to hover around the 5-7 out of 10 mark are fair enough.  I'd probably give it a 6 out of 10 and most of those points are for the technical aspects of the game.

I still really want to play and to love this game, it's got serious potential, hello games for what the resources given delivered a graphically astounding game, it's just a shame some of the in game features shown weren't added to release. Couple thst with a AAA title launch price and I can see where the 5/10 is coming from.

It has real potential, it was just rushed too soon

On 9/9/2016 at 21:35, Mixed Donner Hoagie said:

lasted a good 48hrs...utter garbage 

To be honest if I got 48 hours out a game I'd be delighted.

I think I've played about five in NMS, just wanting to like it.

On 09/09/2016 at 11:14, NorthernLights said:

I was just away to jump from the system I was in when I noticed that on the galactic map it was marked as having been discovered by someone else.  That is the first time I recall seeing that.

My first system was discovered by someone else and I started my game on the Monday before Wednesday's release!  The other player just scanned one planet and left, seemingly.

I had an urge to play this again last night, but it's long since sold.  It'll be worth picking up again in a future digital sale, if more content is added.

Edited by bunglebonce

I had another go of it yesterday after finally finishing the Witcher, and forgetting that GTA 5 takes a few light years itself to install.  Definitely benefited from having some time away, and after reading up a bit on the game and the journey to the centre I may well pick it back up again and try and get there.