No Man's Sky

Fide

4 hours ago, Fide said:

Having spent about 3 - 4 hours on the patched version last night, I'm sold.

I will say it's not going to be to everyone's taste.  For those that need some immediacy in their gaming, it probably won't suit them.  For those who are patient and like a well crafted, well thought out, immersive, almost RPG like game, it's one of those that's going to give you back what you put into it.

So far, out of the 7 or 8 planets I've visited, I've seen forests, arctic planets, radioactive planets, boiling hot planets, caves with fluorescent stalagmites, storms, blizzards, animals that hunt out resources when you feed them, dead planets, underwater caves and a whole lot more.  I've also had dogfights in space, visited death star like space stations and shot asteroids for resources.

There is a plot, it seems.  You don't have to follow it, but you get gentle nudges and it's as intriguing as f**k.

Early days, but it's like nothing I've played before and I'm in.

Leave some for the rest of us you greedy b*****d.

1 minute ago, forameus said:

I've just ordered it, and it'll arrive tomorrow via Amazon Prime's loveliness.  

If it's pish, I'm coming for you Fide.

Well in, my man, well in.

You won't regret it.

:thumsup2

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Even though it is just exploring and collecting the streams I've been watching look brilliant.

The endless comments of "consoles lulwot" on twitch get a bit annoying though.

Just watched about 15 minutes of someone playing on Twitch, not really doing anything other than exploring and mining and naming planets, then having a wee space battle, but it looks a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

If you got a PC that can play it at a decent level it will undoubtedly shit all over the PS4 version.  Add in the modding community it will bring it's a no brainer for me.

PC snobs aren't half insufferable.

I played a fair bit more last night.  The game really does open up the more you play it.  Once you have your ship repaired and airborne and have the ability for warp flight, it starts to get really interesting.

I got a beacon to visit a "space anomaly" last night.  That was interesting.

16 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Anyone currently playing this on PS4?  Seen a bit of footage where it seemed a bit choppy with regards to the framrate, debating on whether or not to get this now or what for the PC version (not a big wait I know but a couple of days is a couple of days)

Hasn't bothered me so far.  I generally prefer 60fps to 30, but it's not an issue for me in this game so far.

The PC will give you an option to have a wider point of view, which is quite narrow on the PS4 edition.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Hasn't bothered me so far.  I generally prefer 60fps to 30, but it's not an issue for me in this game so far.

The PC will give you an option to have a wider point of view, which is quite narrow on the PS4 edition.

Cool, at the moment is easier for myslef to play on the PS4 than the PC so think I may get this tonight.

Was trying to find a review online. This is the best I could find, from reddit's No Man's Sky section. I'm somewhat put off, tbh. Going to wait a few weeks to see how people rate the longevity of the game. Might save my pennies for Battlefield 1 in a few months time instead.

So I spent 13 hours playing on the PS4 version with a buddy. Here's why I'm cancelling my PC preorder.

The entire animal and planet systems are generated from a limited pool of resources (textures, models, etc). You'll go to different planets that look slightly different from others, as in color palette swaps. I've seen plenty of animals that I've seen on other planets, just renamed and recolored. Sure you have 18 billion or whatever planets, but that doesn't matter. Most of them just repeat each other with a few different things.

Creatures, as I said, show up on other planets looking exactly the same, except with a new name or color. They also have no depth. You can feed one to have it spot resources for you (useless) or make them poop out items. That's it. Unless they're hostile, then they just run at you and hit you with no interesting fight mechanics.

Alien NPC's are incredibly static. They aren't interesting visually or in content. Really not much to say because they're that bad.

The UI is love it or hate it. Inventory management sucks post-patch still. Needing resources to power your suit, and multiple resources for different types of flight kills exploration. I get it's supposed to be "survival" based, but it's like they don't want you exploring (and finding out planets barely differ).

Combat is bad. It's clunky and simplistic. Not enjoyable at all.

Visually, on PS4, it looks bad. Pop-in like crazy, horrible FOV, textures that look like they came from an early last-gen game, or worse. Sometimes it can look okay, such as in orbit, but that's it. I'd imagine PC to look better but don't get your hopes up. Space also doesn't look like space. Doesn't look like the empty void it is. Instead, it looks like a fishtank or a tub full of bath bombs, with solid colors instead of blackness.

The crafting system is simplistic and uninteresting. All that can really be said.

The music is nice though, really atmospheric.

If this game were $30 it'd be fine, but at $60 and with how shallow the content is, it's not worth it. I'm sure in a week or two people will agree after naming planets harambe enough. Has potential to be good with new content and mods, but they'd have to be substantial additions. As it is right now, it's just not interesting or engaging to play. It's just... empty.

tl;dr NMS is as wide as an ocean with the depth of a puddle.

Edit: As for multiplayer, see below, shady stuff:

Interview on August 8th, 2016, stating that there is Multiplayer in questions 3 and 4.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/feature/a801705/your-biggest-no-mans-sky-questions-answered/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A