Celtic European Campaign 2015/16

Henrik's tongue

the Champions League should be seen as a bonus rather than the Europa League being seen as a failure. .

Oh really?

So, Malmo were expected to beat Celtic were they? Despite being mid-table in the Swedish league and having a fraction of Celtic's resources :lol:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, when will Mr. Griffiths be getting hammered by UEFA for kneeing someone in the nuts? I know that Celtic fans will be like, " aye, eh, it wiz only a tap eh", but I'm sure they'd be doing star jumps if it had been a Celtic player on the receiving end. Interesting to see what will happen. Should have been a straight red...

The Europa League is without doubt our level at this current time, the Champions League should be seen as a bonus rather than the Europa League being seen as a failure.

so you spend a good 30mill a year on wages to simply win the double in scotland (not even the treble) and show up in front of a half empty stadium for the europa league

by f**k thats terrible value for money, malmo's exploits in this season CL group stages might well cover 1 year of their clubs wages

Have a look back through the thread dafty. I predicted we'd get papped out.

And?

It was hardly Nostradamus levels of predictions to expect the inept losers Deila and Collins to fail to beat a mid-table lot of Swedish dross.

so you spend a good 30mill a year on wages to simply win the double in scotland (not even the treble)

The treble should be seen as a bonus.

It's not realistic to expect Celtic to sword the likes of Inverness Caley Thistle in cup semi finals.

The Europa League is without doubt our level at this current time, the Champions League should be seen as a bonus rather than the Europa League being seen as a failure. Saddens me to see that half the stadium could be closed as a result of us being in the Europa League considering the best European run we have been on in recent memory was in its predecessor, the Uefa cup.

I know that I would definitely prefer a possible exciting run in the Europa league rather than getting absolutely cuffed in the Champions League. The thing with the board is that they wont strengthen the squad for the Europa league which shows that they still have their heads in the clouds in some way, if they strengthened the squad with some decent acquisitions then why couldnt we go on a run in the Europa? But this wont happen as all they will reference is the lost money from the Champions League which is a fair point but we are hardly in the red currently.

Realistically at the moment the best we can hope for in the Europa League is to be competitive in the group stage and maybe make the first round after Christmas, the chances of us getting further than that are slim at best. The cash we would receive from purely entering the group stage of the Champions League would more than make up for any hammerings we could face.

But he states the truth. It's actually a sad indictment of today's society that most Celtic fans I know revel in the money that they make from transfers and can make from their European exploits. It used to be about the glory. Now.......

The cash we would receive from purely entering the group stage of the Champions League would more than make up for any hammerings we could face.

I rest my case.....

I rest my case.....

It's the level we are at. As things currently stand we are no where near European glory, the only way we will get anywhere near European glory, glory being punching above your weight and making the last 16 of the Champions League, is a few shots at the group stage. Brings in extra cash, which in turn can hopefully bring about a better standard of player. I am not really sure what you are expecting Celtic fans to be thinking about our European exploits.

I guess I expect them to be talking about the football side of things and not, as they seem to do, talk about how much money their transfer policy will raise, or how much they could get by qualifying for Champions League group stages.

Even today there is a ridiculous emphasis on how much money Celtic 'lost' out on, rather than the football side of the problem.

I appreciate that the more realistic Celtic fan is aware that they are no longer of 'Champions League' club stature but there is still an unhealthy obsession with money.

Aye true, except thats not happened at all. In the slightest.

I think you will find its everybody else frothing at the mouth over the fact that I suggested that Scottish clubs doing well in Europe is good for the Scottish game.

:lol::lol:

I guess I expect them to be talking about the football side of things and not, as they seem to do, talk about how much money their transfer policy will raise, or how much they could get by qualifying for Champions League group stages.

Even today there is a ridiculous emphasis on how much money Celtic 'lost' out on, rather than the football side of the problem.

I appreciate that the more realistic Celtic fan is aware that they are no longer of 'Champions League' club stature but there is still an unhealthy obsession with money.

It may be a sad state of affairs, but money talks. We will make very little progress as a team without it. I have no issues with our transfer policy of buying small and selling on for big as a fair number of the foreign players we sign are pretty straight to the point about wanting to leave for a higher level. VVD for example, pretty much from his first season his agent and to a lesser degree the man himself, have spoken about how highly sought after he is. If Celtic can make 10 million from him, great. However if we reverse the roles a little bit and VVD is speaking out about how happy he is at Celtic and despite this we actively try to sell him, then I will have an issue with our transfer policy. Personally I would love to see more players from our youth academy coming through, but as it stands we don't seem to be producing enough quality to move forward, though there is nothing to say we can't. I look at teams like Ajax, Feyenoord, Anderlecht etc etc, teams of a similar standard and probably similar budgets but piss all over us when it comes to the players they produce, there is no reason why we cannot strive for that, whether it happens or not is a different matter, but it will need investment. Cash that will only come about from Champions League places and players sold.

Imagine taking sides with HB.

What a minter.

You are utterly obsessed by me - it's pretty creepy.

It's because you are secretly ashamed that you are an adult who gets excited about WWE wrestling, and hate having that pointed out? Isn't it?

I am not really sure what you are expecting Celtic fans to be thinking about our European exploits.

What did Gordon Strachan manage as Celtic manager?

The only thing holding Celtic back from qualifying almost every season for the CL is your comic cuts management team and penny pinching board.

Celtic absoltuely should be qualifying 9 times out of 10 for the Champions League, given the qualifying is rigged in their favour, to ensure they are virtually guaranteed to play weaker minnow sides.

As it is, you are conspiring to manage to make an utter c**t of that season after season... because you've failed to find a manager that knows his arse from his elbow.

Still - he does that first pump thing, so that makes up for any semblance of ability!

It's the level we are at. As things currently stand we are no where near European glory, the only way we will get anywhere near European glory, glory being punching above your weight and making the last 16 of the Champions League, is a few shots at the group stage. Brings in extra cash, which in turn can hopefully bring about a better standard of player. I am not really sure what you are expecting Celtic fans to be thinking about our European exploits.

why would more cash bring in a better standard of player, compare the cost of malmo's team to celtics team both in transfer fees and wages and tell me why they can make the group stages and celtic cannot

this whole ideal of "celtic arent spending enough money" is one lot of shite, you do spend it and have spent it, just on complete shite in CL terms

still you could always go and spend a few million on aberdeens best players, then complain there is no competition in scottish football

Archived